G & SWR chairs

Giving the Permenent way types a hand at the Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society ( KFRPS ) we had to move a shed load of these

post-11150-0-70134100-1386701697_thumb.jpg

the destinctive G & SWR chair ( two trackbolts two spikes ) stamped 1916, I belive the LNWR  used this arrangement. My question is this how the blazes did they find there way to Fife - G & SWR was absorbed by the LMS ( never anyplace near Fife ) would BR have dragged them from one side of Scotland to another just to relay a siding?

• Was the siding, originaly private or railway owned?

Not sure Mick, most of this stuff was aquired in the 1970`s by the Lochty railway - from memory we lifted sidings from Kirkcaldy harbour ( owned by the toon council ) some ex WPR lines ( owned by the NCB ) Methil docks ( ex NBR/LNER/BR ) the most recent was Markinch station ( ex NBR/LNER/BR/Network Rail ). My guess would be Wemyss Private Railway, but to be honest it could be any of them ( we did not document such things - with hindsight we should have ).

Cheers Lochty

On the face of it, I suggest your chairs are from sidings laid in by a "Trackwork" contractor, who had previously bought in a "Job Lot" from the G&SWRly. There was a similar example not far from Hull at Melton, East Yorks, c1930, a company built a smelting works and had private sidings laid, these were ex SE&CRly recovered materal.

Archived