Fleischmann Locos with stuck wheels

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to free off stuck wheels on Fleischmann N Gauge locos?

The models in question are quite old but are in good fettle with one key exception - the driving wheels won't turn!

Both locos are tender drive and run well but the unpowered driving wheels skid along the track and are clearly gunged up - I suspect that the oil/grease used on the axles has degraded/evaporated over time. There are residues of this on the inside of the plastic box.

Any suggestions about how best to free the axles/wheels?

I've already tried using (gentle) brute force!!

Many thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

Finally resorted to dismantling as couldn't get any solvents into the axles.

Whole thing was stuck solid and required the attention of a Manchester screwdriver to free the axles.

All working now though.

I've had this problem with a Br39 2-8-2, a Br38 4-6-0 and an old Br50.

Rather generous applications of Electrolube (regarded as the 'dogs wotsits' for model loco lubrication back in the 1980s) had resulted in a form of what can only be described as Araldite forming on the driving wheel axle. Usually the worst by far was the leading axle, why I don't know.

The only real solution to very carefully dismantle the loco as far as possible, making sure not to lose anything. Fleischmann spares are difficult to get and expensive. With everything else removed, try to spin each wheelset to try to determine which one is sticking. Be critical, they should all spin absolutely freely. Using the utmost care so as not to damage the wheel in any way, using finger and thumb to hold the wheel flange, gently pull off one wheel (do not twist, pull the wheel straight off the end of the axle). The axles are not splined, at least not on the three locos I've worked with so far. With one wheel removed, pull out the other wheel and axle. Depending on how much gunge has formed in the wheel bearing, this can take some effort. Do not bend or twist the wheel-axle as you withdraw it.

Clean EVERYTHING thoroughly: I use Meths on a cotton bud. By the time you have finished the whole job, you will have used quite a few cotton buds! Try to keep the Meths clear of the plastic wheel centres. To clean out the bearings, I use cocktail sticks so as not to damage the metal bearing surfaces, a lot of cocktail sticks, soaked in Meths. Clean the axle and bearings thoroughly, when you think you've cleaned everything, do it again. Believe me, those axles have to spin really freely if you expect the loco to run without binding.

Then reassembly everything, taking special care with the quartering. Take your time, don't damage the pick ups.

Archived