New OO gauge Class 73

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

Yes they have, and still they havnt addressed the incorrect sandboxes on the bogies!

NL

Can you please tell me where these pictures of the next batch are? Thanks.

The only pictures I can find are obviously pre-production as the loco is numbered 73114 rather than 73126.

Edited by WILLIAM

29 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Can you please tell me where these pictures of the next batch are? Thanks.

The only pictures I can find are obviously pre-production as the loco is numbered 73114 rather than 73126.

Hi,

I think it was Rails email I saw them, so may be on their website

NL

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

Oh yes, I see what you mean.  Not difficult to correct, but shouldn't really be an issue on a second run of a batch of liveries that were generally horribly wrong in the first instance...  😑

I guess the more looming question is have the shades been corrected for rail blue, warning yellow, Intercity dark and light grey etc...  🤨

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi,

NL

I don't think we should be getting too excited about the large logo 'error' until we've seen pictures of the production models.

The pictures on Rails of Sheffield's website, indeed all websites I can find, show the loco numbered 73114 so must be a pre- production model as the large logo version is now due to be released as 73126.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/09/2022 at 08:27, WILLIAM said:

I don't think we should be getting too excited about the large logo 'error' until we've seen pictures of the production models.

The pictures on Rails of Sheffield's website, indeed all websites I can find, show the loco numbered 73114 so must be a pre- production model as the large logo version is now due to be released as 73126.

Out of era for me. but the continued errors on the underframe section and bogies dont detract but are subtly noticeable when comparing to the real thing, but I suspect unless enough feedback is give nto Dapol theyll likely unchange it

NL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone get a look at the new Intercity livery 73, 73136, at the Great Electric Train Show? Only video I've seen it in wasn't clear, but the Executive light grey still looks white . . . Not sure if it's still a pre-production model though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just ordered a blue one and an intercity one, might be here tomorrow. 

I don't think I know what I'm looking for in order to comment on how accurate the liveries are, sorry 🙂

I had one previous-generation Dapol 73, which I hope found a happy home with its new owner.  About half the Dapol stuff I buy goes on eBay - I'm not rivet-counting, but some Dapol stuff is just weird. 😝

Edited by andythenorth

Unless the picture is over-exposed, it looks like Dapol have made the same error again with the Intercity 73, painting the executive grey as white on the lower bodyside.

Pictures from the Rails of Sheffield website; the enlarged ones have pasted as pictures rather than links.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/class-73-jb-intercity-executive-73136

MG_1704_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1666950852

MG_1702_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1666950853

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

Unless the picture is over-exposed, it looks like Dapol have made the same error again with the Intercity 73, painting the executive grey as white on the lower bodyside.

So similar class of problem as Oxford MK3s?  I'll have a look when it arrives 🙂 

Rails of Sheffield have just kindly confirmed that the Intercity version is exactly the same livery as the previous run, with incorrect white lower bodyside.  

Do Dapol read the feedback (on a really simple livery fix) and then just decide they don't want to sell their models?  Very strange.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

pics of the 'real' BR Blue version of the model looking good, 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/859206/dapol_4d_006_018_class_73_1_73120_in_br_blue/stockdetail

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/75897/4D-006-018-Dapol-Class-73-JB-Electro-Diesel---73-120---BR-Blue

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

8 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Pictures from the Rails of Sheffield website; the enlarged ones have pasted as pictures rather than links.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/class-73-jb-intercity-executive-73136

MG_1704_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1666950852

MG_1702_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1666950853

Intercity livery looks OK to me compared to this. What am I missing?

InterCity 73

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The area below the red line is not white on the real thing.

Agree that the area below the red line is not white on the real thing. The pic shown by the actual loco appears slightly off white there, but also so does the image of Dapol's 73 earlier in the thread. I think there are a couple of potential issues... 

i) is the tone of the gtey/beige correct? Certainly that was no correct on oxfords mk3s as it appeared just as a cold grey (there should have been a little bit of brown in there) 

ii) is it sufficiently dark? This is where it is super subjective. The colour in real life appears very nearly white in sunshine but darker in the shade. I think this is where it is hard for model makers because indoor model railways cannot generally model for sunlight appropriately so artistic licence is needed and modellers all accomdate for artifical light and shading differently. I personally feel bachmanns mk2f effort is at one extreme of darkness and is too dark for me (both some others may think OK). This appears to be at the other end. 

I have one on order so will take a good look when it arrives. I personally wish manufacturers could agree consistent paint tones to allow for better mixing/matching of stock (after all this has been great with nem pocket standardisation). For me, I can get comfortable with whether we land on the light vs dark spectrum provided all models are consistent. When shades are different it is obvious that one is 'wrong' 

Edited by MoonM
Typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2022 at 13:38, BR(S) said:

Only seem to be showing the old Dapol pictures so far

In these days of small batches which can sell fast, this is something I'd like to see improved. We should have confidence the photos of every livery are of the final model, so we know what we are actually buying. 

I was planning to get a Lionheart 45xx but held off and in the event, the version I wanted is slightly different to the stock photos most retailers are still using, even after it has come out.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Intercity livery looks OK to me compared to this. What am I missing?

InterCity 73

That's a good picture to add into the mix. The "executive grey" has always been a controversial colour on models, with dirt and lighting making it appear very brown in some pictures. It looks light grey in your linked picture.

Definitely a model I'm going to need to see in-the-flesh to see exactly what they've done with this colour. I'd be grateful though to anyone getting an Intercity one in the coming days if they could post pictures.