Network Rail yellow - which paint to use ?

I keeping thinking about having a dabble at respraying one of my older locos (class 37 or 31) into the Network rail yellow livery. I could then use this to pull along my Dapol track cleaner which I plan to apply the Electra vinyls to.

However I have no idea how to find the correct match of yellow paint required. Is there a website or anything that would give me a colour match for this and also for the standard yellow ends of locos?

I am thinking about purchasing an airbrush to do this repaint, so I am looking for a paint suitable for airbrushing.

Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question - I'm still a newbie even after 3 years modelling! rolleyes.gif

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure of the exact shade, but one thing I know - it's different from the warning panel yellow, but not by much.

We had to use two different paints when we overhauled the Switch & Crossing Grinders but you really have to look hard to see the difference.

Checking on Precision Paints website reveals they do a specific paint

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/enamel.asp?F_Railway=6

P310 looks like what you want :)

Network Rail is usually Sunshine Yellow. It's available from a few sources in model paints and the one I had was anaemic and crap (which seems to be a general problem with yellow model paints) so you need a decent white primer layer. I did try and get the actual paint spec out of network rail but they were so utterly inept they eventually bounced me around their system to their emergency reporting call people !

The cabs fronts are the modern warning panel yellow and differ. Get a decent photo and you can see the colour join.

For the 31s check the loco you pick carefully a lot of the NR 31s are not yellow in the first place and at least one is the 'skinhead' style without headcode box. They also have the extra headlamp in differing places, which is easy to do as Peco/Ratio make them in yellow to glue on.

The other liveries do mean you've got more choice and the last few NR trains I've seen have had a green 31 on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a tin of paint today so thought a quick pic might help

post-6717-0-59117800-1301401490_thumb.jpg

Label says "Golden Yellow" and the supplier is Williamsons. I would still get a tinlet of PP 310 especially if you have an airbrush.

i thought i had a network rail yellow painting problem. but 5 litre's, just how many models are you painting :blink: .

ive used the PP 310 on my test train coach repaints.

• RMweb Premium

I've used P310 for previous NR yellow repaints, however, I have a suspicion that warning panel yellow may be used if it's at hand. NR yellow has a more "lemon" shade than warning panel yellow - of which there are variants depending upon the time period............ :mellow:

See this pic

It looks like RSC3 977997 (2nd coach) is NR yellow and the other three (9481/5981/1256) are warning yellow. This may simply be down to 977997 being a bit more faded, or even a different undercoat/primer colour.

Yellow, like red, is notorious for pigment fading and proper colour rendition with photos and it can be difficult to distinguish the difference. There are numerous examples where it takes an extreme closeup to see the line between front and side yellows.

I've done about 30 NR test coaches and locos so far and used at least 3 shades of yellow and there's certainly more shades across the fleet........ :blink:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

i thought i had a network rail yellow painting problem. but 5 litre's, just how many models are you painting :blink: .

well, when you've got one of these to paint you need more than a tinlet :lol:

post-6717-0-18628700-1301468738_thumb.jpg

and I can't tell the difference between the front WPY and the side's Golden Yellow

well, when you've got one of these to paint you need more than a tinlet :lol:

post-6717-0-18628700-1301468738_thumb.jpg

and I can't tell the difference between the front WPY and the side's Golden Yellow

you model in a bit bigger scale, that would take afew tinlets.

on the 37s97s you can see the difference where they meet, but on others its nearly impossible to tell the difference, maybe they just do all over in warning yellow.

• 3 years later...

Archived