The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Managed to get a bit of the G word done before the rain started. I've removed a fair chunk of the ivy that had taken hold of the fence and smothered a few plants. It then started to rain so I'll have to clear up the trimmings tomorrow and put it in the green bin. The rain also brought out Arthur Itis, Nurofen has been deployed.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I've still never used a Venn diagram.

The principles are useful to a number of Boolean logic applications. The wider world of 'sets' have many applications in higher mathematics. Neither are particularly helpful in day-to-day activities.

EDIT

Ooops, just noticed @BoD's post.

Such things were helpful to me in my chosen field of study, and occasionally, professionally.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

used a Venn diagram.

If you had continued, the nomenclature for Venn diagrams would have led to you the equivalent Boolean algebra which is quite handy in logic circuit design. 
I did something called Midland Mathematical Experiment. My maths was a bit shaky for the first two years of a degree course but during the third year we started using some of the stuff I had studied at school. MME was probably good for mathematicians, it was a bit of a  disaster for scientists and engineers. 
Just noticed other references to use of Venn. I type slowly!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

This must be a shop owners paradise. From now until February or so we have Deepevali, followed by Christmas, the Gregorian New Year followed by the Chinese New Year. All of which are heavily promoted by shops.

The 'primary' retail calendar at this time of year in the US is:

• Halloween
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas

All of these will feature seasonal items for sale. In the new year many retailers will also invoke

• Presidents' Day* (featuring mattress sales for some obscure reason)
  • St. Patrick's Day
  • Easter
  • Cinco De Mayo

* A February holiday combining Federal Holidays for Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays

Some retailers** will also make a big deal over Star Wars Day/May the Fourth.

** Mostly selling Star Wars related toys and merchandising.

In some places (like the Santa Clara, aka Silicon, Valley) the Lunar Harvest / mid-Autumn Festival (mooncakes etc) and Diwali will be featured, along with Lunar New Year.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

It is usually Diwali now but used to be often spelt Divali .

I've seen the "Divali' spelling.

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Sikhs have a festival at the same time as it coincided with a major event concerning one of their Gurus. 

It's funny how that seems to happen so often with 'holidays' where different traditions overlap in a region.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear did more Metalwork; I've a suspicion that it's come in much more handy that knowing what a Verb is (and no, I don't know.....).  I do know my alphabet and can list all the vowels though - which is bluddy good for a Bear.

If only you'd studied more  you could have become a Chair at a University.

image.png.ccdc7bf30e40b02a8171503e5c35b2d2.png

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

She watches the BBC news every day but likes the entertainment on Indian channels.

I'm a fan of Indian Superman, though Indian Chuck Norris is pretty good too.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 11

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Four more days of rain and flood alerts . If we get the rain this week that is forecast it'll be the wettest year in Sydney since European settlement (Media is saying "in History" when they mean  since 1788), with  just under 2.2 metres (sounds more impressive in metres) with 3 months still to go

. Just looked up the UK's wettest city which is apparently Cardiff.  In comparison its average rainfall is 115cm so we have doubled that, and tripled that of Manchester which always looks like its raining in Joy Division music clips and photos.

All without the aid of Dennis Howell minister for drought!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

37 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Four more days of rain and flood alerts .

No sign of rain here, though this morning saw heavy fog, mist and very high humidity - well over 90%. It was forecast to be sunny this afternoon but it is still grey and overcast at 1:00pm and doesn't look like clearing very soon. It remains cool (15°C) despite a forecast high of 24°C.

It's odd to have fog and humidity with no prior (or forecast) precipitation.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was feeling a bit cream crackered after my bit of gardening this afternoon and was considering an early night. However I'm feeling a lot better now so shortly I'll be tackling Farcebook.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Four more days of rain and flood alerts . If we get the rain this week that is forecast it'll be the wettest year in Sydney since European settlement (Media is saying "in History" when they mean  since 1788), with  just under 2.2 metres (sounds more impressive in metres) with 3 months still to go

. Just looked up the UK's wettest city which is apparently Cardiff.  In comparison its average rainfall is 115cm so we have doubled that, and tripled that of Manchester where it always looks like its raining in Joy Division music clips and photos.

Its amazing what you can do with a piece of glass and water pistol held in front of the camera.

It doesn't really rain all the time in Manchester. We just tell people it does to stop those soft southners visiting us and pinching all the rhubarb and the whippets.

• Funny 17