The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Encouragement or criticism? Interesting YouTube video from the USA

john new

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thoughts and observations from the USA about issues surrounding giving advice and criticism and how to steer a "newbie" forward whilst at the same time not slapping them down for beginners errors. I know that despite over 60 years now of interest in railways I am not knowledgeable enough in many areas (US Railroading is one) to avoid making howlers if I were to do some modelling in that topic area without some  research first. Newbies, and I would be one for a US based layout, don't necessarily know where to look. 

Hopefully placed in the correct forum area. If not happy for Mods to move it to another topic area.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for highlighting this John -  I thought it was well worth a watch.  His comments about not discouraging beginners were pretty much common sense (although in reality that’s not a common quality!) but well and concisely articulated.  I found his comments about what he calls “the capstone phase” the most interesting - experienced modellers who are happy where they are in the hobby and with the level they model at. You assume these people *won’t* be gatekeepers, but of course there are some who use that position to criticise anyone who takes a different approach.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Clarifying emphasis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

An excellent video which is germane to hobbies in general (as the presenter acknowledged). Gatekeepers and the sort of on-line group think that goes with it is terrible. I will not pretend to be immune as I am an opinionated so and so but a hobby is whatever we as individuals want it to be. Ultimately it's a hobby, something we do for pleasure and satisfaction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, you get questions on RMweb from apparent beginners asking for advice and when given such advice, it isn't what they want to hear, because seemingly they've already decided on the solution anyway.

No point asking if your mind has already been made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

On the other hand, you get questions on RMweb from apparent beginners asking for advice and when given such advice, it isn't what they want to hear, because seemingly they've already decided on the solution anyway.

No point asking if your mind has already been made.

I have noticed that more from "returnees" than total beginners, they don't seem to realise the hobby has changed beyond recognition from when they were modelling in the 1960s.

What worked in 1965 won't often be the best way of doing things in 2023.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I have noticed that more from "returnees" than total beginners, they don't seem to realise the hobby has changed beyond recognition from when they were modelling in the 1960s.

Jason

Even those who have been in the hobby continuously since the 1960s struggle with the complexities of some of the newer stuff.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

And that includes the use of H&M Duette/Clipper etc.......

I once tested a H&M Victor (12v) and saw 40+v on a 'scope................

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1