SALEIGNES ROMAZIERS, CFD metre gauge, Charente Maritime slow layout build.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

This looks like the start of something that will appeal greatly. Ever since I first saw Gordon Gravett's Pempoul, which I regard as one of the finest model railway layouts I've ever seen, I've had a soft spot for the French metre gauge so I'll be watching this thread with interest. The only trouble is that it could well tempt me to......... no, no, that way lies chaos!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A little bit more has been done.  I've even started a plan in Templot.   This photo of the station surfaced yesterday.  It'a not a vey good scan but was given to me by  Claude who was brought up in the bakers house opposite the station that another friend now lives in.

saleignes.jpg.12afddb88b6d01308e90bbedb0ed4111.jpg

It gives me a lot of detail such as the fact that sleepers were hardly visible.   This is common to photos of a lot of the other stations.   It also gives  lot of detail of the station and the platform.  I'll probably go for copperclad sleepers with rail soldered to it.   I will measure the rail that this wagon sits on at Gourville.

PC032770.JPG.3057dea09b8fbf526c3dcabf0f938afa.JPG

There is a little museum in the old goods shed but it isn't open very often,   This wagon is similar to the one that I'm building.   A couple of sessions in the shed over the past few days have proved fruitful.   There is a lot of fiddly detail.   My fingers are too big for these narrow gauge kits.

PC302804.JPG.b52ebcfd260c5a36845c932086cc960f.JPG

The brake gear is coming along and the castings that hold the ends of the springs are attached.   Not a bad start.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A few questions Jamie:

Are there just the two turnouts for the passing loop or are there catch points as well?

If there are just the two turnouts how are they controlled - individual hand levers, a small lever frame or are they simply spring loaded?

If there are catch points as well, is there just a ground frame or a signal box?

Do you know what the signalling arrangements were - tokens, one engine in steam etc ? 

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it was telephone calls to the stationmasters with individual pouit levers and no catch points.  The normal lie of the points was for the through line.  I need to spend s lot of time studying photos.  Perhaps the glass of Scottish medecine  that I've just poured will help my studies.

As I said it's going to be more of a diorama than a big layout.  If I set it betweem 1932 and 1950  there will be a 4 wheeled Billard railcar as well.

Jamie

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A few questions Jamie:

Are there just the two turnouts for the passing loop or are there catch points as well?

If there are just the two turnouts how are they controlled - individual hand levers, a small lever frame or are they simply spring loaded?

If there are catch points as well, is there just a ground frame or a signal box?

Do you know what the signalling arrangements were - tokens, one engine in steam etc ? 

Dave

Most rural French railways were 'Cantonnement telephonique' (simple phone calls...) - some stayed like this into the 1980s...

• Thanks 2

I have a large collection of French railway timetables. The service for  Summer 1937 was as follows:

Eastbound:

St Jean d'Angely 07.17, S-R 08.33, St Saviol 10.11

St Jean d'Angely 17.18, S-R 18.12, St Saviol 20.10

St Jean d'Angely 20.22, S-R 21.12, Chef Boutonne 21.34

Both afternoon trains were Autorail stopping at S-R on request only

West bound trains called at S-R at 05.18, 08.08 and 16.49. The 16.49 was not Autorail. Only the early morning train was a request stop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

I have a large collection of French railway timetables. The service for  Summer 1937 was as follows:

Eastbound:

St Jean d'Angely 07.17, S-R 08.33, St Saviol 10.11

St Jean d'Angely 17.18, S-R 18.12, St Saviol 20.10

St Jean d'Angely 20.22, S-R 21.12, Chef Boutonne 21.34

Both afternoon trains were Autorail stopping at S-R on request only

West bound trains called at S-R at 05.18, 08.08 and 16.49. The 16.49 was not Autorail. Only the early morning train was a request stop

Thanks very much Gordon.

Jamie

• Like 1

There is an article about this line here.

http://pioussay.wifeo.com/le-train-saint-jean-dangely-saint-saviol.php#1123

If the station did have just two sets of points then that would likely have been a double ended goods loop rather than a passing loop .  This was the most common arrangement for such metre gauge railways with the goods shed  (Halle) attached to the station building (Batiment Voyageurs) with a loading dock (Quai) and an area for loading and unloading wagonload goods. On the systems it had the concession for, the CFD generally also had a blind siding off the loop for loading and unloading wagons (often including a weighbridge and a loading gauge) This did allow it to be used for trains to cross though obviously not while wagons were serving the goods shed. For station with a separate passing loop, this was usually on the far side of the through line from the station building and goods facilities

1254752348_CFDGarepassagetypique.jpg.6fb81339436e6bf9fd5f0431f57ca19e.jpg

On such a line  there wouldn't have been any facing point locks  and all points would have been operated by local hand levers (often operated by swinging the weight around) with a weight to hold in in position.

P1070457.JPG.e0674568d4319e3907da7376e49d3581.JPG

This is the standard design of point lever and though this one is on a standard gauge light railway (It operates the entry points for the well preserved terminus at Sabres in Landes from where visitors are taken to an open air museum) identical point levers were used on metre and even 600mm gauge railways. Facing point locks tended to only be used where passenger trains passed at speed and point levers like these were often be found at branch line stations and yards. 

Trap points as we know them were far less common in France than permanent derailers but. though these were used to protect passenger lines on the main line network, they were far less often used on metre gauge lines, even though the CFD's Réseau des Charentes et des Deux-Sèvres was legally a "national network" line (d'intèrêt général) ocalrather than a local "light railway" (d'intérêt local) .

I have the MTVS monograph on this system but, unfortunately, it has no images of  Saleignes-Romaziers station (which, according their map, was at that time in Deux-Sévres rather than Charentes Maritimes). 

According to this, the four locomotives operating this line were fairly large 2-6-0Ts (nos 72-75) built by Cail of a type the CFD also ordered for Corsica and the Vivarais. Goods wagons were standard CFD types with a wheelbase of 2.57  metres, a length over buffers of 6.36 or 6.38 m, a width of 2.3 or 2.4 metres and wheels with a diameter of 0.72m . It's worh noting that passenger coaches were mainly bogies with side (slam) doors rather than the end platform types that we tend to associate with French metre gauge railways. 

After an inital three petrol-electric  Crochat Automotrices (railcars) those that ook over from steam on many services were De Dion NCs (with a single driving end and a built in tirning plate)  and the very familiar Billard A80Ds with a driving position at either end designed in collaboration with the CFD and used on most of its network. 

Edited by Pacific231G
addition of typical CFD through station diagram etc.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The article at the link provided by David is fascinating and has piqued my interest even more. What a lovely little railway for modelling. Have you got any details of the locomotive kit produced by the metre gauge society Jamie? I'd like to have a look at it.

Dave

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The article at the link provided by David is fascinating and has piqued my interest even more. What a lovely little railway for modelling. Have you got any details of the locomotive kit produced by the metre gauge society Jamie? I'd like to have a look at it.

Dave

If you are going to embark on the rocky road to hell, you might consider stepping up a gauge and use 1.75" gauge to represent metre gauge. This would fit nicely in your garden.... But please do not go Geeeee Scale, use the correct 1:22.5 ratio and hand build the lot.

Jamie also has the space to do this, although he really ought to be doing it in 7.25" gauge.

However, in all seriousness, this is a fascinating interlude from LGA, and I'm looking forward to seeing everything progress

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

@jamie92208 Now see what you've been and gone and done.....Bear detects Mrs. DH inbound with MASS** to Live.......you're in serious doo doo......

(**Master Armament Safety Switch)

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone  for the interest and information @Pacific231G that photo is very helpful.  Your info re the track plan fits in with what another source has said.  

@Dave Hunt, yes I do have sone details of the kit.  I'll try and post them in due course.  It's an 0-6-0  and not a Cail 0-6-2 which is what worked the line.  However it's not far off and I don't have 30 years to attempt to scratchbuild one.  I do have access to several more kits of goods stock and a couple of bogie coaches.  However  the price is high.  The flat wagon cost €120. And was the cheapest.  

As I've already invested in it I'm going to stick with 22mm gauge and 19.8 b to b, despite what a resident of South Hipposhire suggests..  I hope to get some more photos of the goods wagon this week or next and measure the rail.  I suspect that something like code 75 will be about right.  I've got to take the lady who lives opposite the old station to catch a train on Tuesday and will hopefully get details of the owners.

I do love research.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks to everyone  for the interest and information @Pacific231G that photo is very helpful.  Your info re the track plan fits in with what another source has said.  

@Dave Hunt, yes I do have sone details of theckit.  I'll try andvpost them in due course.  It's an 0-6-0  and not a Cail 0-6-2 which is what worked the line.  However it's not farcoff and I don't gave 30 years to attempt to scratchbuild one.  I do have access to several more kits of goods stock and a couple of bogie coaches.  However  the price is high.  The flat wagon cost €120. And was the cheapest.  

As I've already invested in it I'm going to stick with 22mm gauge and 19.8 b to b, despite what a residentbof South Hipposhire suggests..  I hope to get some more photos of the goods wagon this week or next and measure the rail.  I suspect that something like code 75 will be about right.  I've got to take the lady who lives opposite thevold station to catch a train on Tuesday and will hopefully get details of the owners.

I do love research.

Jamie

According to MTVS  the track used 20kg/m vignoles (FB) rail in 8 metre panels each with ten creosoted oak sleepers. The rail was fixed to the sleepers by track screws (as normal in France) . There are umpteen photo of locos as well as diagrams  in the MTVS "magazine" published in 1980 and, according to this,  most of them were 2-6-0Ts with nos. 72-75 (Cail 1895) allocated to the St. Jean d'Angely - St. Saviot line that Salaigne-Romazieres was on. The network as a whole had a total of twenty four 2-6-0Ts but did have four 0-6-0Ts. These were allocated to a couple of shortish lines at the edges of the network and two of them were later converted to diesel locotracteurs but who is to say that they were never seen on the St. Saviot line!

One of the fourteen Cail 2-6-0Ts (no. 77) is noted as having escaped Gertie and is currently under restoration by Velay Express (the "other" preserved section of the Vivaras.

536499171_Cail77.jpg.1ced8ab68a604128b101d6a9bf0b37bf.jpg

There is more information, in English, including works photos, of the Charentes type 2-6-0T locos on the CFD website (the company is still going strong) here

https://www.cfd.group/documents/locomotives-with-a-carrying-axle-at-the-front-type-charente

The CFD is proud of its heritage and its website includes a good archive of documents and photos. Thanks to this topic I've just rediscoverd it and it looks to be an absolute goldmine

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind what David has said about the rail weight and the fact the track is flat bottomed, before you go down to Code 75,  consider Code 100. (If you were going to use Peco fb rail it would be Code 82; 75 is supposed to be bullhead)).

I used to use Code 198 Bullhead for 16 mm in the garden, which was coarse scale 0 gauge and when I upped to 7/8ths scale, I assumed that the slight 'up' in rail size to Code 215 fb would be enough.  It wasn't, and I needed to go to Code 250 to get the right look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

@Dave Hunt, yes I do have sone details of theckit.  I'll try andvpost them in due course.  It's an 0-6-0  and not a Cail 0-6-2 which is what worked the line.  However it's not farcoff and I don't gave 30 years to attempt to scratchbuild one.  I do have access to several more kits of goods stock and a couple of bogie coaches.  However  the price is high.  The flat wagon cost €120. And was the cheapest.  

As I've already invested in it I'm going to stick with 22mm gauge and 19.8 b to b, despite what a residentbof South Hipposhire suggests..  I hope to get some more photos of the goods wagon this week or next and measure the rail.  I suspect that something like code 75 will be about right.  I've got to take the lady who lives opposite thevold station to catch a train on Tuesday and will hopefully get details of the owners.

I do love research.

Jamie

Just make certain you've got your certificate signed by the Mayor before you go. Don't think the gendarmerie will look to kindly on a retired rosbeef measuring up railway carriages. You may get accused of spying and deported. Oh and for gods sake don't ring Big H and ask him to vouch for you. That really would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

There’s a thread running on the CFD system in the adjacent departement which might be helpful:

https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81408

And here’s a very nice film:

https://memoire.ciclic.fr/4664-mort-du-c-f-d-la

Edited by Northroader
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bearing in mind what David has said about the rail weight and the fact the track is flat bottomed, before you go down to Code 75,  consider Code 100. (If you were going to use Peco fb rail it would be Code 82; 75 is supposed to be bullhead)).

I used to use Code 198 Bullhead for 16 mm in the garden, which was coarse scale 0 gauge and when I upped to 7/8ths scale, I assumed that the slight 'up' in rail size to Code 215 fb would be enough.  It wasn't, and I needed to go to Code 250 to get the right look.

Thanks to everyone for this mine of useful information.  I have obviously got to do a lot more reading.  I have completed my application to join the metre gauge modelling  groupp. G.E.M.M.E.  it's they who produce thecloco kit.  It would have been nice to do a Cail loco as jean Francois Cail was born and brought up 10 miles north of us at Chef Boutonne.  Therecis a bustbof him on the roundabout outside the old station. The nearby secondary school is named after him.  There is also an excellent  museum in the local chateau (JAVRAISY)  with a 7.25 " model of a Crampton.  The Cail Association published a good book about the railways at Chef Boutonne which had a mixed gauge station where the metre gaugecline from St Jean to St Saviol, crosed the standard gauge Niort to Ruffec line.

I suspected that there was a code of FB rail about right.  All being well I may be able the measure the rail at Gourville soon.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

Just a few thoughts. Having looked at all the information that has come in so far and given that Slaters make 19.8mm b-b/22mm gauge axles, it would seem that 1:43.5/7mm:ft scale would, IMHO, be favourite. That is providing the wagon kit you have got is to that scale; if not then obviously whatever it turns out to be will govern what actually happens. As far as track is concerned, whilst appreciating what HH says, looking at the photographs suggests to me that the ballast, undergrowth etc. meant that the depth of the rails was quite inconspicuous so Peco code 82 FB would probably look about right?

That 0-6-2T looks lovely.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/01/2023 at 09:39, Northroader said:

There’s a thread running on the CFD system in the adjacent departement which might be helpful:

https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81408

And here’s a very nice film:

https://memoire.ciclic.fr/4664-mort-du-c-f-d-la

That B&W film from 1949 about the closure of the CFD is tremendous.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, ianp said:

That B&W film from 1949 about the closure of the CFD is tremendous.

Ain't it just! If I wasn't a fan of the CFD before I am now. It was just made to be modelled wasn't it?

Dave

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ain't it just! If I wasn't a fan of the CFD before I am now. It was just made to be modelled wasn't it?

Dave

Indeed. Those stations, roads, fields etc are exactly what I aspire to in a layout. Thankfully we can now have some appropriate rolling stock in the form of the REE model of the Billard railcar: https://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-hom/materiel-moteur/720-autorail-billard-serie-2 and seen here: 

and also here:  

Edited by ianp
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't that Billard look lovely in 7mm.  I took our friend to Niort this morning and she is going to put me in touch with the owners of the station. Apparently  it has a floor area of 58 sq.m.  that would make it approx 10m byn6m which looks about right.  They are planni g to repaint the exterior and pick out the station name in black.  Little bits of progress.  On my way homevI called at anotherv,ocation on a standard gauge stub that carries trainloads of wine and the run round loop isccontrolled by point levers identical to the one mentioned above.  I will hopefully get chance to photograph it on Friday.

Jamie

• Like 1