Robin Brasher

Apart from the 'Scotsman' set the resin buildings and track are the first items to arrive in the Hornby TT:120 range. Having scratch built some buildings myself I am impressed with the amount of detail in the buildings. I think resin captures the weight and appearance of stone and slate tiles very well. I think that TT:120 is more manageable than 00 gauge for a portable layout that can be taken in a small hatchback to model railway clubs and exhibitions on a single baseboard.

Dent station is a good choice because a wide variety of trains have passed through the station and I think some of the Peco scenic backgrounds will suit the location.

P1010821.JPG

• Like 8

I would expect so. They do seem very popular in 4mm scale.

I did buy the PECO GWR station, but I don't know whether I'm going down that route yet. I just wanted to get a feel for the size of it and it was only £16. It's also laser cut wood, a material I'm unfamiliar with so it's very much an experiment.

Jason

• Like 1

I was interested in the PECO GWR station as it is based on West Bay station on the Bridport branch and I travelled on the Bridport branch when it was about to close.

Meanwhile you may be interested in my resin buildings on their boxes. The boxes are partly yellow which distinguishes them from the 00 products.  I think Hornby also made these model buildings in N gauge. The boxes are works of art and the pictures are about full size.  To protect the polystyrene inner packaging you have to open both ends of the boxes and push the models out: not pull them out like I did.

P1010854.JPG

P1010853.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It looks like a 1/76 scale version of R8853 Scaledale East Signal Box  reduced to 1/120 scale so perhaps Hornby should have simply described it a Signal Box.  I am planning to build a small fun railway like the old Hornby Dublo or Tri-ang layouts that I can take in one piece in my car so I am not to worried about accuracy.  Having said that I would have thought it would be just as easy for Hornby to make an accurate model as an inaccurate one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gc4946 said:

Dent station didn't have a footbridge even in BR steam days so Hornby downsized their North Eastern Railway model instead.

I think they expected you to use the plastic one that was already in the range for 00.

ISTR it was a reasonably accurate footbridge as used by the MR, HR, GSWR and others. I think it was based on the one at Aviemore.

Alas I don't think they'll be shrinking it down. Maybe if demand is there then somebody will make one.

Jason

• Like 1

The NER footbridge was modelled on the one at Goathland on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway- they would be able to measure the prototype when they measured the station buildings for Skaledale and Lyddle End.

The footbridge had the advantage that it is a standard NER type, with lots of near identical examples everywhere.  That meant my N-gauge Croft Spa could have a ready-to-plant footbridge that was 100% correct and didn't need a lot of making.  The pic shows it with the station buildings scratchbuilt by the late Trevor Webster, and buildings in the background from a mixture of sources including Bachmann Scenecraft, Hornby Lyddle End, Ten Commandments stonecast, kits and scratchbuilt.  No need to keep to one source- just make them look as if they belong to each other.

IMG_9820.JPG.898b8c99a90900e7fd5be2961855e635.JPG

The new one in TT is delightful- and has set one parameter for Broken Scar- the layout will need a platform each side of the running lines to take the footbridge.  

Les

• Like 3