2 more Triang 3mt's restored and back in use

cypherman

Hi all,

Here are my latest Triang restorations. Two once very rough 3mt's. The black engine has had the most cosmetic work done on it. With vacuum pipes, new coupling hooks, wire handrails, cab glazing, lamp irons, full repaint and complete strip down service. The green engine has just had all new decals, vacuum pipes, cab glazing, replacement motor and full strip down service, new motion bracket and new wheel isolation bushes. Sorry for the poor pictures, But I have not worked out what is wrong with my camera that the clarity of the images is not as good as it was.

DSC_1343.JPG

DSC_1344.JPG

DSC_1345.JPG

DSC_1346.JPG

DSC_1347.JPG

DSC_1348.JPG

DSC_1352.JPG

DSC_1353.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

49 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

My pair are a long way from that.

Two sets of valvegear are required for a start!

Hi,

That is one of the most expensive bits to get. Plus, you need to decide which set you want. The newer fluted valve gear or the older plain set. If you need replacement motion brackets for Triang engines, albulatal-2 on Ebay makes quite a few plastic printed ones for different engines. The one for the 3mt is 'Replica Triang Motion Bracket S5056'. It is only £2.20 plus p+p.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yes I know that was rather my point. The motion brackets I have or at least they are alleged to be the right one (been there!). One does at least have her cylinders and slide bars, but the other has just the coupling rods.

OK have had a bit of a disaster on the black 3mt. The wheels started to jam after about a 3/4 of a rotation. Stripped the chassis back down. Found the centre wheels had become very stiff become very stiff and the axel had difficulty turning a full rotation. OK I thought not a big problem, I have another half dozen or so spare chassis in a box. New chassis was duly taken out and fitted to the 3mt. All is now well. Put a steel rule against the sides of the old chassis and found out that it was starting to bow out on both sides. Mazak rot strikes again.......😪. But the main thing I noticed was that when checking my spare chassis, there were what appeared to be 3 or 4 different chassis for this on loco, depending on age. Each one requiring varying different cylinder blocks, valve gear motion brackets, pick-ups and so on. They all come with the same part number. So I was wondering how do I get to order the right bits for the right chassis?

• Like 1

R.59 Chassis Blocks and Pony Trucks...

Apart from the chassis itself, the pony trucks also underwent changes, not limited to the change from MK2 to MK3 couplings in 1959.

Screenshot_20221201-111709_Chrome.jpg.ef2dd1e2f16a69e1cb4aced60b42e929.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-112219_Chrome.jpg.5e2a8d1887cf6028ac6216769008a43e.jpg

The shape of the castings also underwent change.

From memory, the different pony trucks are not interchangeable between the different chassis...the shape of the chassis block determining the type of pony truck that will fit...

1955 R.59 Service Sheet.

With Jan. 1959 addendum to list the ready assembled wheels/axle assemblies.

I think that the earlier R.59 was the only Tri-ang Railways loco to have slots in the chassis, so that the wheels could be removed without disassembly...

Screenshot_20221201-110737_Chrome.jpg.37d771ffc34eaf132159d310ac953bef.jpg

1961 R.59 Service Sheet.

The cylinder block and chassis block retooled to allow for the Seuthe type smoke unit to be fitted. Also, 'Magnahesion' traction magnets are now fitted.

The "Princess" type S.5056 motion bracket is retained, though the design of this part was changed, to accommodate the chassis change for the Pacific Chassis Block from thin plate frames to a thicker part of the new cast chassis block.

The pick up plate, which was only held in place by the pony truck screws before, now has its own standard S.1011 securing screws, as on other models. So, to allow for this, the pick up plate is different...

New "See though" spoked wheels with steel tyres were also used, to allow the 'Magnahesion' traction magnets fitted to this chassis block to work.

Screenshot_20221201-110843_Chrome.jpg.a1e1a04cb6db9941284999d38c9f689b.jpg

Addendum for SS9a. Sept.1962.

In 1962, the R.59 chassis block was again retooled, and brought into line with the other Tri-ang Railways locomotive chassis...the slots being deleted, and axle holes being used instead.

So, the compete wheel/axle assemblies could no longer be used.

Screenshot_20221201-110929_Chrome.jpg.39cbee1620d6611959f5e7d8e649d484.jpg

The R.59 was retired from the now Tri-ang Hornby range in1966.

It was to return, (It is said, to boost the number of BR liveried locomotives, after the general use of 'Big Four' liveries in the range) with another new chassis, in 1969.

1970 R.59 Service Sheet.

This covers the R.59 from 1969.

This is a very different chassis block.

The brake block details from the earlier versions was removed, and other modifications made to allow for the fitting of the smaller Synchrosmoke unit, with a unique to this model extension lid.

While the X.426 cylinder block was retained (a bad move, as the now redundant hole for the Seuthe type smoke unit weakened the moulding.

A prime cause of failure of this component, not helped by smoke oil contamination.) A new, unique to this chassis, motion bracket S.8013, was used.

The pony trucks were also retooled for this chassis.

Again, from memory, the S.1002 pony truck screws also changed, being shorter in length overall, as they no longer had to pass through the pick up plate, which had been changed to be the same type as fitted to the "Jinty" 0-6-0 chassis.

The very last production R.59S locomotives had plated driving wheel tyres. Some may have also had the new bogie and pony truck wheels, with plated metal tyres, fitted... 

Screenshot_20221201-111614_Chrome.jpg.eb0f3a8dfcd620a7fc0f5c9bacb6fbd3.jpg

The various R.59 Chassis Blocks were also used for the two versions of the  Transcontinental Series (T.C. Series) Continental Prairie Tank Locomotives.

ᚱᚢᚠᚠᚾᚢᛏ × ᛏᚼᚬᚱᛋᛏᚬᚾ
🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

R.59 Chassis Blocks and Pony Trucks...

Apart from the chassis itself, the pony trucks also underwent changes, not limited to the change from MK2 to MK3 couplings in 1959.

Screenshot_20221201-111709_Chrome.jpg.ef2dd1e2f16a69e1cb4aced60b42e929.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-112219_Chrome.jpg.5e2a8d1887cf6028ac6216769008a43e.jpg

The shape of the castings also underwent change.

From memory, the different pony trucks are not interchangeable between the different chassis...the shape of the chassis block determining the type of pony truck that will fit...

1955 R.59 Service Sheet.

With Jan. 1959 addendum to list the ready assembled wheels/axle assemblies.

I think that the earlier R.59 was the only Tri-ang Railways loco to have slots in the chassis, so that the wheels could be removed without disassembly...

Screenshot_20221201-110737_Chrome.jpg.37d771ffc34eaf132159d310ac953bef.jpg

1961 R.59 Service Sheet.

The cylinder block and chassis block retooled to allow for the Seuthe type smoke unit to be fitted. Also, 'Magnahesion' traction magnets are now fitted.

The "Princess" type S.5056 motion bracket is retained, though the design of this part was changed, to accommodate the chassis change for the Pacific Chassis Block from thin plate frames to a thicker part of the new cast chassis block.

The pick up plate, which was only held in place by the pony truck screws before, now has its own standard S.1011 securing screws, as on other models. So, to allow for this, the pick up plate is different...

New "See though" spoked wheels with steel tyres were also used, to allow the 'Magnahesion' traction magnets fitted to this chassis block to work.

Screenshot_20221201-110843_Chrome.jpg.a1e1a04cb6db9941284999d38c9f689b.jpg

Addendum for SS9a. Sept.1962.

In 1962, the R.59 chassis block was again retooled, and brought into line with the other Tri-ang Railways locomotive chassis...the slots being deleted, and axle holes being used instead.

So, the compete wheel/axle assemblies could no longer be used.

Screenshot_20221201-110929_Chrome.jpg.39cbee1620d6611959f5e7d8e649d484.jpg

The R.59 was retired from the now Tri-ang Hornby range in1966.

It was to return, (It is said, to boost the number of BR liveried locomotives, after the general use of 'Big Four' liveries in the range) with another new chassis, in 1969.

1970 R.59 Service Sheet.

This covers the R.59 from 1969.

This is a very different chassis block.

The brake block details from the earlier versions was removed, and other modifications made to allow for the fitting of the smaller Synchrosmoke unit, with a unique to this model extension lid.

While the X.426 cylinder block was retained (a bad move, as the now redundant hole for the Seuthe type smoke unit weakened the moulding.

A prime cause of failure of this component, not helped by smoke oil contamination.) A new, unique to this chassis, motion bracket S.8013, was used.

The pony trucks were also retooled for this chassis.

Again, from memory, the S.1002 pony truck screws also changed, being shorter in length overall, as they no longer had to pass through the pick up plate, which had been changed to be the same type as fitted to the "Jinty" 0-6-0 chassis.

The very last production R.59S locomotives had plated driving wheel tyres. Some may have also had the new bogie and pony truck wheels, with plated metal tyres, fitted... 

Screenshot_20221201-111614_Chrome.jpg.eb0f3a8dfcd620a7fc0f5c9bacb6fbd3.jpg

The various R.59 Chassis Blocks were also used for the two versions of the  Transcontinental Series (T.C. Series) Continental Prairie Tank Locomotives. I will ad these service sheets to my collection.

ᚱᚢᚠᚠᚾᚢᛏ × ᛏᚼᚬᚱᛋᛏᚬᚾ
🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Hi Ruffnut,

Many thanks for the info and clearing things up. The chassis was used for not one but two continental prairies. The SNCF one with the black chassis and single dome and the German version with the red chassis and double dome. I am lucky enough to have both.

• Like 2

Cost cutting!  Neither is correct of course  - 1/8" orange, 1/2" green (invisible at 1:76), 1" black, 1/2" green, 1/8" orange - complicated, but it was only tax-payers' money. BR Western Region applied it with enthusiasm!

The whole thing is stretched to fit the 3F coupling rods. I did consider doing a cut and shut correction once or twice, but it involves too much carving.

Now, if they'd made the LMS 2-6-2T the BR standard was based on, they've have got it almost right.

• Like 2