Furness Railway E1 to J1 Rebuild Question

GERDecapod

Hello everybody, I have a question that has been lingering at the back of my mind for a long time now. I recall reading that when Furness railway were rebuilding 7 of their E1s into tank engines for branch line service, Sharp Steward supplied parts for this rebuild. Resulting in the J1 tank engines. My question is, if the J1 tank engine design could be ordered by another railway company from Sharp Stewart as one of their standard designs?

Edited by GERDecapod
Spelling Mistake

• GERDecapod changed the title to Furness Railway E1 to J1 Rebuild Question

I've done a bit more research on the subject, and it appears Sharp Stewart supplied some similar 2-4-2s to the Manchester and Milford Railway. Now the question is if the 2-4-2's supplied to the Manchester and Milford Railway are of the same design as the Furness J1s. This would further affirm that it was Sharp Stewart's standard design.

Manchester and Milford Railway 2-4-2.jpeg

• Like 1

The M&M 2-4-2Ts were both individual designs, neither related directly to the standard 2-4-0 tender locos. The closest relatives to the Furness conversions were Cambrian Raiways conversions of two of their 2-4-0 tender locos into side tanks for use as railmotors. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

The M&M 2-4-2Ts were both individual designs, neither related directly to the standard 2-4-0 tender locos. The closest relatives to the Furness conversions were Cambrian Raiways conversions of two of their 2-4-0 tender locos into side tanks for use as railmotors. 

Thank you, I've been trying to find out if Manchester and Milford 2-4-2 were related to the Furness railway J1s.