An idea for my first O gauge layout.

Beakster

Hi, I’m new here and looking for some advice for my first O gauge layout. I don’t have a particular region in mind at the moment and thinking it could be a preserved / heritage line to give me a bit of scope to run whatever I like. I have a Dapol Class 08 and a few wagons to get me started, will probably buy one of the new Dapol 121 DMUs and eventually a small steam engine with a few coaches. Going forward from there, any other locos are likely to be diesels.

The main main scenic area will be 12’ 6" wide, 2-3’ deep with potential to go 10’ down either side. Track will be Peco as I have some already.

Inspiration was from this OO gauge plan I found online. 

1386085269_Trackplan0.png.116688fe6f8ed213d9d4e589d1eabdd1.png

Then I thought it would be nice to be able to run a train in and out of the scenic area rather than have a cassette fiddle yard. I would find this much more enjoyable. This is as far as I have got:

1476998456_Trackplan01.png.86392c034ce67f09caa6eca5c9d2bf46.png

Your comments would be appreciated as I know nothing about railways and don’t want find myself wishing I’d done things differently once I know a bit more.

Thanks, Neil

• Like 3

Always good to see someone planning an 0 gauge layout.  One of the driving considerations is how long your passenger train will be.  Mine will take 2 coaches with max length of 61' (B set).

My layout has a scenic length of 16' and is something like 2'9" wide.

P1010175.JPG.e1efb8f2ddb5110c7be96beb6e763c49.JPG

You do want to give some careful thought to your track plan, it took ages for mine to gel.  I always thought the Hornby Magazine articles "Operation Build It" from 2013 would make a good plan for the beginner.

I have used several Lcut building kits such as the station, signal box and engine shed.  I have also used Scalescenes kits blown up to 7mm scale, eg. the Creamery at the far end.  The bridge is Scalescenes.  Cattle dock is from a Skytrex kit.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7

Thanks for sharing your layout.

I don't think I'll be running any passenger trains with more than a couple of coaches.

I'm part way through building an Lcut signal box. Not sure if I'll use it on the final layout, but wanted to see what the kits were like. Also having a go at ballasting and laying grass.

EA74824C-42F7-4E45-BD04-CE95B9704F76.jpeg.f27dc664a8b0da012214b230bae4769c.jpeg

Neil

• Like 7

I tend to think that passenger operation is just a bit boring, with goods shunting being far more interesting.  That said I did buy a pair each of the Lionheart Mk1 and Heljan Gresley's because you simply do have to have some passenger traffic.

That looks to be the same signalbox (to my horror it is GWR) I built, but I sort of converted it to LNER ish by changing windows and adding some embellishments.  It looks good.  The test track looks great too.

John

• Like 1

In terms of prototype likelihood, I’d suggest that the kickback siding arrangement at the front of that 00 layout design is pretty unlikely.

It would be awkward to shunt, and seems to use two points to achieve the net result in useful siding length of one.

It might be based on a real location, but if is, there must have been a very special reason for it, maybe a quayside.

Brossard’s kickback is to a loco shed, which is less unlikely.

• Like 1