OO9 RNAD wagons

Paul.Uni

On 16/04/2023 at 16:03, coline33 said:

My Bachmann flat wagons now loaded.   Is there any one still with this thread to be interested?

Bachmann flat wagons with three loaded..JPG

Yes, and they look great. Nice and colourful. Any more thoughts on your Dean Hill layout ideas?

The MOD also had a fairly large number of Hudson bogie flat wagons with removable ends. Short and long versions were produced which Bachmann may like to consider for future models. I'm going a bit off-topic here but here's a pic of my rendition of the shorter version using Peco bogies.P1050254.JPG.003ca930097cc1353bfe345071fb01d7.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, happyChappy said:

Yes, and they look great. Nice and colourful. Any more thoughts on your Dean Hill layout ideas?

The MOD also had a fairly large number of Hudson bogie flat wagons with removable ends. Short and long versions were produced which Bachmann may like to consider for future models. I'm going a bit off-topic here but here's a pic of my rendition of the shorter version using Peco bogies.P1050254.JPG.003ca930097cc1353bfe345071fb01d7.JPG

16 minutes ago, happyChappy said:

Thank you, that has mademe another Happy Chappie and my day to know there is someone else active in this universe!   I attach a view of West Deanin its infancy.   Now that the cardboard base is down I am on to constructing the hillside in cardboard to stengthen the bases.   A balsawood road will strengthen those sections not covered by the hillside.   Watch this space for the reintroduction of bombs and bomb-racks to fit Bachmanns and another Dean Hill Hunslet (without the air cylinders).   My 'bible' for RNAD railways is "MOD Railways" by Michael Hitchen (Amberley Press).   95 pages packed with colour photos of which 88 are taken at Dean Hill and appears comprehensive of the DH rolling stock - so very much recommended.   Look forward to seeing more photos of this and other peoples' RNAD layouts.   

aerial 4.4.2023 a.JPG

• Like 1

That's great and has the basic flavour of an RNAD depot. I like the continuous run aspect built into it. What sort of era are you setting your layout in?

My layout is based on Dinton, located on the opposite side of Salisbury from Dean Hill. Dinton was Air ministry rather than RNAD but much of the rolling stock was common to both. Even today at Dinton Business Park the tracks are still visible where they were inset in roadways (e.g photo on page 45 of the book you mention). The layout was designed to fit into one of those 'Really Useful' plastic storage boxes so is very compact and is basically a 'U' shaped end-to-end. One side of the layout has the exchange shed based on those at Chilmark and the other side an underground storage magazine like those in Dinton woods. One day I'll join the ends of the 'U' with a fiddle yard to make it a continuous run.

48 minutes ago, happyChappy said:

That's great and has the basic flavour of an RNAD depot. I like the continuous run aspect built into it. What sort of era are you setting your layout in?

My layout is based on Dinton, located on the opposite side of Salisbury from Dean Hill. Dinton was Air ministry rather than RNAD but much of the rolling stock was common to both. Even today at Dinton Business Park the tracks are still visible where they were inset in roadways (e.g photo on page 45 of the book you mention). The layout was designed to fit into one of those 'Really Useful' plastic storage boxes so is very compact and is basically a 'U' shaped end-to-end. One side of the layout has the exchange shed based on those at Chilmark and the other side an underground storage magazine like those in Dinton woods. One day I'll join the ends of the 'U' with a fiddle yard to make it a continuous run.

Thanks.   There is no era at West Dean it just gets what comes along!!!   I have ordered a couple more 393175s at the lowest price I can find (the last two!) and with the original Bachmann batch selling out with prices already up by almost £5 a wagon.   I had looked at West Country military lines years ago and suggested to Hornby that they do a MoD Sentinel but nothing further heard.   The continuous run was caused by having too many Peco Setrack points unused!   With the tracks at both ends going to go into the underground magazines to reach the fiddle yard means that, when I have added a Bachmann Baguley (pre-ordered) to my Hunslet, one will go in one end loaded and come out the other end loaded whilst the other loco does the reverse with an empty train.   I hate having to put wagons back on 009 track!!!   The SG is cosmetic but I do have a Hornby WD Ruston to add when necessary.

Now Dinton sounds interesting so look forward to any views.   How do you get on shunting at either ends?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now an update.   Brand new munitions arrived, painted and loaded on to the four of the six wagons shown.   There is a further one-end plank which completes my flat wagon fleet.   The second wagon from the left is a four-end plank with the top planks removed to make one of those with three each end.   In the foreground are my present alternative loads. 

new munitions 3 5.5.2023.JPG

new munitions 4 5.5.2023.JPG

Would it bring in more interest in RNAD narrow gauge modelling in 4mm scale if this forum was renamed "RNAD railway modelling in 009" and is there a more appropriate forum activity for it?   I have just delivered my verdict on a second Hunslet body that differs from that is already available.   "Wagons" as a title is not really appropriate for introducing this new body when it is ready for sale.

• 2 months later...
On 16/03/2023 at 12:47, Rammstein2609 said:

I don't have any other brand of OO9 product yet but found the Bachmann flat planked wagon won't easily connect to the box van due to a difference in coupler heights.  The box van seems to have a lot of downward slop in the coupling whereas the flat wagon seems quite rigid.

IMG_6384.JPG.b19b2ff2165c178a19bf5af2c946263d.JPG

Other than the couplings, these are cracking little wagons and have tempted me to have a go at OO9.  I've just placed an order for several of the RNAD products from Rainbow Railways so I'd better get planning my layout for it all.

Thanks

Martin 

Hi All

Further to my findings above regarding the couplings, I have been looking at what's available to allow me to easily couple/uncouple on a small shunting style layout and remembered I had a batch of Dapol N gauge magnetic couplers (similar to Kadees) which I pulled out to look at fitting to the RNAD wagons.  To my surprise, these have the N gauge style NEM coupler pocket so the Dapol couplings were a direct replacement for the OO9 couplings.  The couple well, reduce the gap between wagons slightly, go round tight bends and the height different between the box and flat wagons is minimal now.  I can only assume the OO9 couplings are a little heavier causing the drawbar to droop on its mounting.

IMG_6909.JPG.f59b51309a7e86c0a699c90959cec1d8.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG.3ce35acf804c2ac9ca66bba78c657799.JPG

Hopefully this is useful to someone.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2023 at 16:18, Rammstein2609 said:

Hi All

Further to my findings above regarding the couplings, I have been looking at what's available to allow me to easily couple/uncouple on a small shunting style layout and remembered I had a batch of Dapol N gauge magnetic couplers (similar to Kadees) which I pulled out to look at fitting to the RNAD wagons.  To my surprise, these have the N gauge style NEM coupler pocket so the Dapol couplings were a direct replacement for the OO9 couplings.  The couple well, reduce the gap between wagons slightly, go round tight bends and the height different between the box and flat wagons is minimal now.  I can only assume the OO9 couplings are a little heavier causing the drawbar to droop on its mounting.

Thanks

Martin

Yes, Martin, several modellers have raised this problem and your discovery may well prove to be the answer.   Thank you, Colin.

On 09/08/2023 at 17:18, Rammstein2609 said:

Hi All

Thanks

Martin

Wonderful. As I too have had enough of the hoop type standard couplings and was thinking they would be useless if I ever wanted to automate it in DCC.

So do these use a magnet under the track to uncouple these kadee like couplings?

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1