York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

On 05/07/2022 at 17:10, lanchester said:

A general question, certainly not specific to this incredible model. I know cars and other vehicles were significantly smaller back in the day, but on any accurately scaled model, which I am sure this is, they look disproportionately tiny (and the roadways, by comparison, disproportionately large. Same applies to the vast empty spaces of goods yards when modelled to scale). The forecourt of 'Great Northern's Peterborough North layout exhibits the same phenomenon. I imagine this is something to do with our perspectives when we are live at street level, as opposed to taking the 'helicopter view' of a model.

But my questions are, firstly, is this just me? And if it isn't, do any modellers feel tempted to 'adjust' the scaling (presumably of the roads since I assume most of the vehicles on anyone's layout are bought-in) to make an optical correction (sort of the reverse of some of the forced perspective techniques used for backgrounds? And if so, any recommendations on how and how far to go about this, given any adjustment is likely to b*gg*r the geometry?

I think the opposite which is cars and commercials have to absolutely bang on scale size to look right,  The Cararama 1:72 scale Mini etc looks far too big for 4mm 1:76, 00 etc and the various 00/H0 cars around 1:80 far too small for 00 IMHO especially when used as loads, but more important is correct positioning, cars parked up, buses at bus stops, cars queued at lights, any plausible reason for them to be stopped will always look better  IMHO than cars randomly dotted on the carriageway,  Foreground moving cars are usually missing from the  period photos we use as reference as a foreground car or bus usually ruins the picture.

But the bigger issue is road surface, the markings are distinctive, done using a stencil, not freehand, and the road surface livery ranges from Matt Black when damp, through Gloss Black when raining, to Matt Silver when dry to Gloss Silver in strong sunlight. Roads are never ever flat, usually cambered, steeply in the 1920 -1980 era, but always inclined slightly, so water runs to the next drain, not pools in the gutter.  Flat level ply baseboard painted up is never going to cut it. If there is an upgrade York could use it is modelled roads.

Yard Width, geometry, just build it so it looks right,  Often we build yards with fully ballasted track which would look right on the down fast whereas in reality sidings were often ballasted with dirt right to rail level so lorries could run over the tracks, Pre lorries horses could turn much sharper,  get things like that right and suddenly it looks right.  Maybe a lorry blocks the track, so what, its got wheels it can be moved while wagons pass,

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Super pictures Tony, thanks for posting them. I'm glad someone dusted the river!!

As for the roads, you're right of course but we've only got one lifetime and sometimes you do have to compromise. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2022 at 11:41, Wheatley said:

It's not you, 1950s/60s cars were significantly smaller than modern ones. A modern Ford Fiesta is a foot longer and about 9" wider than a Morris Traveller. All those crumple zones, deformable plastic bumpers, side air bags and impact protection thingies take up space. 

Not long ago, I encountered a new Focus parked adjacent to a Mk2 Zodiac. Very little difference in size. 

With its modern big mirrors, the Focus was actually wider overall....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Some of Gile's superb trackwork.

Peter

Having been privileged to see this exceptional layout, I can confirm that it's not just Peter's craftsmanship in reproducing in minitature the magnificent architecture of the station and its environs that is so impressive, but also the smoothness of running through the sweeping curves of the complex junctions at each end of the station, and the lifting access panel - the trackwork is also excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Doing the trackplan for Giles' excellent article in the mag sent me cross-eyed several times over. It may help to give some context within this topic too.

What an enormous achievement!

Enormous achievement most definitely.

Been watching with amazement since the start.

The track plan is very useful great to see where it all lies on the ground so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Doing the trackplan for Giles' excellent article in the mag sent me cross-eyed several times over. It may help to give some context within this topic too.

York Trackplan revised 22 August C.jpg

What an enormous achievement!

11 and 12 is where the National Railway Museum now stands. 

(Yes, I know it's now called Railway Museum now)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2022 at 10:06, 6990WitherslackHall said:

(Yes, I know it's now called Railway Museum now)

A pedant (and former NRM curator) speaks:  it may be branded “Railway Museum” on the outside of the building and in publicity, but it’s still called the National Railway Museum.

That said, even National Railway Museum is just a brand - there is legally no such entity and you cannot enter into contracts with it.  It’s simply the name for a building housing some parts of the railway collections of the Science Museum, which is the actual legal entity, and which controls the finances, policies and staff.  At occasional moments in its history the NRM has managed to achieve degrees of autonomy, but South Kensington has always reversed these and “taken back control” as I believe the phrase is…

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Grammar, but it still doesn’t look right.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yeah but the Science Museum signalling exhibits are now at Mangapps Farm as South Kensington thinks nobody want to know about railways any more.  Fortunately John Jolly has more sense.

The number of wagons that have been rehoused makes me wonder what they want to keep and their policy is for the future?

• Like 1

On 07/10/2022 at 18:53, kirtleypete said:

the arched retaining walls which had to be curved along this section.

Hi @kirtleypete. Those look great. I have similar to do (curved in plan and descending gradient). May I ask what you used as the basis structure please ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Wow I look forward to reading the BRM with this wonderful layout in it. However British railway modelling November edition wont make it to Australia until about January! it is a fantastic achievement I am surprised that it has fitted in a space of about 30ft x 30ft! I know that you have rationalised areas but you have acheived such a great representation that screams YORK!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've allowed myself in the last two weeks to be diverted from finishing the Loco Yard and its ashpits, onto developing the main running lines and the arrangement of fiddle yards along the back wall.   The 1:50 incline is proving to present an operational challenge in that only the heavier locos can tackle them with 9 coaches on (Yes Tony, I know ...).   So where to fit the Down Main storage yards?   An 8 road yard will fit neatly into the top right corner, sitting under the Scarborough lines.   Hopefully this adaptation of Andy York's trackplan gives a feel for the overall scheme.       

1167942501_YorkSchemeNovember2022_20221107.jpg.cd328e5f92f97bfb83321a1736de2fbd.jpg

Here is a photo looking toward the bridge.  The two lines on the right are a two very long sidings which will each take either a very long train, or two shorter ones.  I'll post more once I work out how to stop them rotating 90 or 180 degrees.  Any clues anyone?

IMG_0701.jpg.d4143700d3bd2702c25e1adf0fbe55dd.jpg

Giles

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1