GER/LNER/BR G15/Y6 tram locos

MarcD

Can I start by saying that I'm slowly turning into a rivet counter. A few years ago I built 2 of Jim McGeown's tram locos but as this kit only cover 2 of the ten locos in the class I fancied some of the other variants of the class. So I'm currently designing some more Wisbech and Upwell tram engines. I produced 2 prototypes about 2 years ago and then had a massive data loss and lost all of my design work. So talking the advantage of the Lockdown I have started to do all the design work again. They will be a mixture of brass, cast polyurethane and 3D print. The 2 prototypes I built were in fine scale but I have since converted one to S7 by changing the axles and adding a few packing washers to the chassis. If I bring them out as a kit or a ready to run model is up in the air. The cost of production is quite high so the kit would be in the £200 area and the ready to run cost in the £400 area. 

This is the progress so far.

Marc

inside windows mock up 1.jpg

inside windows mock up 2.jpg

outside windows mock up 1.jpg

outside windows mock up 2.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Beattie well tank is the next loco off the rank. Not sure how many variations at the moment as I have just got a set of drawings for one in its original condition.

Marc

9 hours ago, pwr said:

Marc

If you do the J70 I would be interested!

Paul R

I may be tempted if I can recover my costs from this project. I found out yesterday that digitrains now do a sound chip for both locos.

Marc

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

I think that Dapol might just take a few years between them say they are going to bring it out and getting it out.

Marc

A bit like your well tank then?! :)

Still think that I might be quicker. The main reason for the well tank delay was a catastrophic data loss. 3 years of work gone in the blink of an eye. Not good for a one man band. Tears were shed. Main data storage device and the backup in 24hours no chance of getting anything back.

I'm trying to put a positive spin on the loss is I can now redesign it using the most updated technlogy and 3d print the prototype at home. 

I was hoping to have the prototype on the stand at Telford but I can not see it going a head if shows in October and November are cancelling. I will start posting Well tank details on a separate thread as soon as possible.

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 1

I got a bit more work done last night. having studied a few more photos I noticed that the buffers were different on some of the loco as well as the windows. Just got the steps, roof  and the roof fittings to do and the top will be done.

The chassis will be the hard part as it was designed as a fine scale screw together and they don't make spacers long enough for S7.  which might mean 3D printed spacers.

Marc

inside windows mock up with cow catcher.jpg

outside windows mock up with cow catcher.jpg

• Like 1

I have been working on the S7 version of the chassis this is the progress so far. The FS version is fitted with 24mm spacers but the S7 version requires 26mm spacers. Not a common stock item, but i'm sure they are out there. If necessary I can pack them out with 1mm shims. The plunger pickups are shown at there full points of travel so don't actually go through the wheels.

Marc 

Chassis.jpg

We are hoping to have these Locos ready for GuildEx this year, If it goes ahead. Having worked out all our figures we can now announce the prices.

There are 4 body types options

• Inside side windows with square based buffers
  • Inside side windows with Round based buffers
  • Outside side windows with square based buffers
  • Outside side windows with Round based buffers

Other options

• Ready To Run options available in Fine Scale
  • Ready To Run options available in S7
  • DCC (no Sound)
  • DCC Sound (ZS070A ZIMO Digitrains sound)

They will be able to be ordered after June10th for August bank holiday delivery. 

• Kit price: £195 Requires: wheels; motor; gearbox; paint and transfers to complete
  • RTR Price (LNER/BR): £300 Brown upper works and Black below the footplate
  • RTR Price (GER): £375 Either brown or red upper works and either blue or grey below the footplate

Add £50 for DCC and £150 for DCC sound

They will be able to be ordered after June 10th for August bank holiday delivery. 

Marc

• Like 2