Dapol Catenary

robgregson1

If you've not handled one its also worth pointing out they are made of flexible sort of plastic (they remind me a lot of the Tomix and Kato Japanese ones except that the weathering lifts them a whole quality level. You can bump against them and they will flex (even the fragile bits).up to a point.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to dig this thread up from the depths of the forum, it made more sense than starting afresh.

Currently I'm weighing up my options for wiring the lower level of the layout, I was wondering if someone who has bought some of these masts would be able to measure one and let me know how tall they stand please?  

The height I need to know is from the top of the square base to the highest point on the mast

Thanks for any help!

jo

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to dig this thread up from the depths of the forum, it made more sense than starting afresh.

Currently I'm weighing up my options for wiring the lower level of the layout, I was wondering if someone who has bought some of these masts would be able to measure one and let me know how tall they stand please?  

The height I need to know is from the top of the square base to the highest point on the mast

Thanks for any help!

jo

Jo

Have you checked out these threads. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71391-british-railways-ole-part-one-plain-track/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71591-british-railways-ole-part-two-curved-track/

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Alistair, that sounds too tall for gap I've got, I'll focus on the N Brass Locos stuff.

Indeed I have Clive, and very useful they are too, thankyou for sharing your knowledge and drawings! I've referenced one of them on my layout thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72130-stuarts-lane-n-gauge-depot-layout-the-new-thread-after-its-move-west/&do=findComment&comment=1076224

jo

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear from the photos the contact wire does seem to have quite a noticeable "hog". They also seem to have missed out the catenary, that is the curved shape the top wire should have. Catenary is a mathematically worked out curve, usually worked out where there is a load that needs to kept as stable as possible (in this case the contact wire).

post-16423-0-17067100-1437402577_thumb.jpg

They are a very poor attempt and crude. It looks like they have obtained some wires from some other manufacturer and just hooked them around the registration arms. This means that not only are not attached in the right place, but the moulded on contact wire clip at the end of the registration arm which is where the wire is supposed to go is actually hanging down below the contact wire ready to snag any pantograph that might attempt to run on it. Not only that, but the large curve of the hook looks like it interferes with the cantilever tube above it, further suggesting it was not designed to fit this mast.  Even if they are supposed to be cosmetic only, it is still a poor attempt. If they are not going to make wires to fit the masts properly, or any differently than can be done with other manufacturers wires then everyone who has had the patience to wait has had there time wasted.

I also agree with Clive about the profile, although you must remember in the drawings he has shown the 'x' scale is not the same as the 'y' scale so the catenary sag is exaggerated slightly to make the drawing clearer for information purposes, but even so it should still be a lot more than in the 'Dapol' example. Oh dear indeed!

Now I have not checked, but I wonder if the 'new' wire lengths happen to correspond with the standard lengths another manufacturer uses...

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Dapol website has a blog providing information on catenary development here:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/accessories-aa/catenary-aa/project-managers-blog-ar

Looks like there were more discussions on this in November '16. If you read through the thread it doesn't sound good for the range, which is disappointing to say the least as the existing masts and CAD files for the multi-track masts looked rather good.

Having already bought (and paid out a substantial amount) for the part of the system which has been released, were we to find that it had been abandoned I would feel extremely disappointed and let down.

I do hope that there can a be a positive outcome and the promised parts to complete the system are forthcoming.

It would be a shame for Dapol if their reputation were to suffer as a result of leaving us high and dry with half a system. I do feel that we have been extremely patient on this protracted development and it would be nice to hear from Dapol publically on further progress and intentions.

Were the full compliment of items to be completed I am sure that sales of the already released parts would boom due to customers perceiving a viable modelling opportunity and wanting the full range.

Keeping faith for the time being as I like to give the benefit of any doubt, though I am naturally concerned in regard of this project. Hopefully with the pending release of Hornby's Class 87 + Class 800 + Bachmann's re-release of their Class 85 and the rumoured release of a Class 86 this can renew potential interest in Dapol's OHLE system and encourage development and completion as I am sure that there will be long term demand in the market.

• RMweb Premium

Read the link, it's all there in their blog.

Sales are poor, they're undecided about expanding the range and are actively suggesting Peco. This could be a chicken and egg situation however as plain single track masts are likely not the most useful piece.

At one time I was seriously considering introducing an OLE range myself - serious enough to be visiting plastic injection moulding companies to getting estimates for a run of 10,000 masts.

I cannot help thinking that the companies involved just simply did not do their research. I had a good look at all the existing systems, mostly Vollmer, Viessmann, Sommerfeldt etc. etc. to see how they did it. I also found a much less well known brand Hobbex, which was of particular interest as it was cheap, and you could completely electrify any layout with a very small range of masts. The key to this was the self assembly headspan mast.

It was easy to put together, you could slide the registration supports to any position you needed along the wires, and you could have any width you liked just by trimming the cross span wires to length, so no ££ needed to be spent on research on a complicated to manufacture modular portal system.

Registrations were in a separate bag, and there were a large number of insulators and detailing parts such as balance weights on a sprue.

My intention was to take this principle and change the registrations to Mk3 type.

This is the Hobbex headspan with it's continental style registrations:

IMG_6392.jpg

I experimented with some of the parts on the sprue to get something a little more Mk3 looking:

IMG_6390.jpg

And this shows how exactly the same parts can be used for any trackwork no matter how complex (Top span wires and some wiring still to be added):

IMG_6389.jpg

Why Dapol could not introduce something that worked like this I have no idea, especially as headspans would have matched the Mk3 cantilevers that they have already introduced, and would have been very easy, cheap, and quick to get in to production - just like the real thing was!

At one time I was seriously considering introducing an OLE range myself - serious enough to be visiting plastic injection moulding companies to getting estimates for a run of 10,000 masts.

I cannot help thinking that the companies involved just simply did not do their research. I had a good look at all the existing systems, mostly Vollmer, Viessmann, Sommerfeldt etc. etc. to see how they did it. I also found a much less well known brand Hobbex, which was of particular interest as it was cheap, and you could completely electrify any layout with a very small range of masts. The key to this was the self assembly headspan mast.

It was easy to put together, you could slide the registration supports to any position you needed along the wires, and you could have any width you liked just by trimming the cross span wires to length, so no ££ needed to be spent on research on a complicated to manufacture modular portal system.

Registrations were in a separate bag, and there were a large number of insulators and detailing parts such as balance weights on a sprue.

My intention was to take this principle and change the registrations to Mk3 type.

This is the Hobbex headspan with it's continental style registrations:

IMG_6392.jpg

I experimented with some of the parts on the sprue to get something a little more Mk3 looking:

IMG_6390.jpg

And this shows how exactly the same parts can be used for any trackwork no matter how complex (Top span wires and some wiring still to be added):

IMG_6389.jpg

Why Dapol could not introduce something that worked like this I have no idea, especially as headspans would have matched the Mk3 cantilevers that they have already introduced, and would have been very easy, cheap, and quick to get in to production - just like the real thing was!

As Dapol are really in the business to make money I assume return on investment is key to what actually gets launched and sustained (similar to the promised O Gauge signals I guess).

well the sooner they make a decision the better.  why keep floggin a dead horse.  the main masts were released what 4 5 years back and weve been drip fed promises of additions to the range that just havent happened.   kill it now and folk can look elsewhere....... 

The masts are good looking , but personally I think let down by the fragility of the arms and the plastic wires which puts down any option of a touching pantograph... which leads to my question slightly off piste,does anyone recommend the best way of keeping a pantograph at a set level below the wire level ? The pantograps in question being Lima/marklin.

• 5 weeks later...

The masts are good looking , but personally I think let down by the fragility of the arms and the plastic wires which puts down any option of a touching pantograph... which leads to my question slightly off piste,does anyone recommend the best way of keeping a pantograph at a set level below the wire level ? The pantograps in question being Lima/marklin.

I am using very fine clear fishing line so unless you look really close you cant see it.

As for Dapol expanding the range I just don't see them doing it at all so I gave up and made my own version of what I can only describe as almost looking like OHLE :)

20161221_130731_zpsjgikhb9n.jpg

Archived