mk1 COACHES - WHO IS CORRECT?

vectislad

• RMweb Premium

The 3rd one here is running a little high

on the KWVR in 2014 (click for bigger pic)

Hi Ray

Or is it all the overweight passengers are in the other coaches? :mosking:

Earlier on someone mentioned the various heights of Mk1 coaches, they said that they were unsure if non gangway coaches were the same height. They were the same as gangwayed coaches except those built for the Widen Lines with the ventilators set wider and slightly lower. 

My take on 4mm Mk1 coaches

Tri-ang, ride too high but are very good for their age and with some work can be made to look good.

Trix, noticeably too small. 

Hornby Doublo, too short

Lima, sides are too thick and they lack a rain gutter, start to correct these two errors and they can look OK.

Mianline, The SK and BSK are too short in height. The RKB is wonderful.

Bachmann, very nice, many people don't like the heavy ribs on the roof. I wonder how many wouldn't have noticed hadn't some "expert" pointed it out?

Hornby, again very nice

Hornby Railroad, excellent value for money.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 07/11/2018 at 09:10, Clive Mortimore said:

Mianline, The SK and BSK are too short in height. The RKB is wonderful.

Does this mean the Replica Railways ones are also too low or were they retooled at some point (in which case are some of the later Mainline ones ok)?

On 07/11/2018 at 09:10, Clive Mortimore said:

Hornby Railroad, excellent value for money.

Shame there don't appear to be ANY Railroad mark 1s in the current range - surely these are really something Hornby should be looking to restock on at least an annual basis (doing a different livery (or  two) each year)?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rhydgaled said:

Does this mean the Replica Railways ones are also too low or were they retooled at some point (in which case are some of the later Mainline ones ok)?

Shame there don't appear to be ANY Railroad mark 1s in the current range - surely these are really something Hornby should be looking to restock on at least an annual basis (doing a different livery (or  two) each year)?

The Replica BCK, FO and SK/SO were new tooling and the correct height. The Buffet was the old Mainline one.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Replica BCK, FO and SK/SO were new tooling and the correct height. The Buffet was the old Mainline one.

Replica also re-issued the old Mainline BSK and SO initially, and only later created their own new tool for the SK/SO, so ensure that it's the right one when looking

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Rhydgaled said:

...there don't appear to be ANY Railroad mark 1s in the current range - surely these are really something Hornby should be looking to restock on at least an annual basis (doing a different livery (or  two) each year)?

That's for the  retailers to call. My opinion - based on being able to steadily hoover up Bachmann mk1 at reasonable s/h prices these last 15 years - is that the market is awash with sufficient RTR OO mk1s until the plastic crumbles; what with all the other options from past productions listed above.

(And there has been something of a hiatus in new introductions to Bachmann's Mk1range until their recent announcement.)

• Agree 2

Indeed, unless you want Mk1s with external window frames (which predominated from the late 70s as the earlier builds rotted away...) which no-one has ever made as RTR hauled stock (unless you count the post 1972 issues of the Triang RMB and Sleeper - hardly atypical).

Up to now, the desire to produce Mk1s in steam era liveries seems to have dictated the choice but the rapid growth in the market for BR Blue and beyond would hopefully mean that this might yet be addressed.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2024 at 12:53, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That's for the  retailers to call. My opinion - based on being able to steadily hoover up Bachmann mk1 at reasonable s/h prices these last 15 years - is that the market is awash with sufficient RTR OO mk1s until the plastic crumbles; what with all the other options from past productions listed above.

I couldn't find many Hornby Railroad mark 1s in a recent trawl of several online retailers either, and the mark 1s nearest the top of my 'shopping list' (TSO in chocolate & cream, BSO in lined maroon, SK in blue & grey and CK in crimson & cream) were either:

• nowhere to be found
  • too expensive for me (hence my interest in the Railroad models in particular)
  • old/inaccurate toolings (eg. I found a Mainline SK in blue & grey, hence my question above to see if some of the later ones were ok - they weren't so I didn't buy)

I did find one pre-owned Hornby Railroad SK in chocolate & cream at an acceptable price, and bought it. This replaces the green departmental main-range one that I picked up when one of the online retailers had them in the 'bargin bin' that I had been planning to repaint in chocolate & cream if I ever mange to get to grips with the airbrush I was given one birthday/christmas. That respray (if it ever happens) will now have to be into blue & grey instead (which I understand is a harder job than chocolate & cream, hence the preference on the shopping list).