A bit of variety around Bristol

With what is being reported as possibly the last week of class 57/3 operation on the FGW Cardiff-Tauntons, I made a couple of trips out this week. On Tuesday 9th it was Pilning and Ram Hill, to catch the Bridgwater flasks.

post-6899-12660604400029_thumb.jpg

150238 heads through Pilning on its way to Taunton

post-6899-12660604585588_thumb.jpg

57309 'Brains' leads the Anglia liveried stock and 57305 'John Tracy' through Pilning on 2U14 11.02 Taunton to Cardiffpost-6899-12660604877772_thumb.jpg

The snow/sleet/rain threat passed and the sky brightened with thinning cloud, and about 2 seconds later this shot would have bathed in glorious winter sun. As it is, 66417 leads Stobart liveried 66414 'James the Engine' with two FNAs on 6M67 Bridgwater to Crewe. How much longer will Eddie and James keep their Stobart blue?

post-6899-12660605074578_thumb.jpg

Just after the flasks passed, out came the sun, and Cross Country's 221121 heads for Bristol and the south west

Then on Friday 12th it was back to Pilning, for what may be the last day of class 57s on this run, and what's more than likely the last day of the royal pair of skips on the Paignton diagram

post-6899-12660607528925_thumb.jpg

57305 'John Tracy' through Pilning with 57309 'Brains' and Anglia livery stockpost-6899-1266060790507_thumb.jpg

66060 struggles up the climb to Pilning with 6L97 Grange Sidings to Lea Interchange. This train conveys slag from Port Talbot steelworks for use at the Olympic construction site

post-6899-12660608304677_thumb.jpg

43144 with it's unique gold First logo, a leftover from the 'Barbie' livery era, coasts through Pilning as it slows for the Severn Tunnelpost-6899-1266060866006_thumb.jpg

Trenau Arriva Cymru (Arriva Trains Wales) 150267 on hire to FGW is working from Cardiff Central to Taunton

post-6899-12660609478292_thumb.jpg

The second FGW loco hauled working of the day, 67006 'Royal Sovereign' leads the Cargo-D blue-grey mk2s and 67005 'Queen's Messenger' on 2U20 12.47 Paignton to Cardiff Central

This all goes to show today's railway isn't as dull as it's made out to be biggrin.gif These photos are part of this collection: http://joalder.fotopic.net/c1814191.html

cheers

jo

No I haven't been able to catch that yet due to times it runs, it tends to be dark when it gets round this way. Hopefully it'll be running into the summer, being in the Bristol area about 8 ish means it should just be phottable in the late evening light

Is this new flow the DB sand flow thats been rumoured? I heard something about MEAs the other day

cheers

jo

Over the weekend I heard on the Gen grapevine that a 37 was due light engine around these parts. 37s are good anyway biggrin.gif but hearing it was to be 97301 I made sure I'd be able to go and catch it somewhere. Gives me a good excuse to model it now it's appeared locally.

post-6899-1266342565601_thumb.jpg

Running a good 40 minutes or so early, here's 97301 passing Ram Hill on 0Z97 Exeter - Derby. I assume it's a route learner for the test trains

post-6899-12663428986246_thumb.jpg

220005 heading for Bristol and the south west

post-6899-12663426768786_thumb.jpg

150263 heads west towards Parkway with a service to Bristol

post-6899-12663427536103_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12663428151745_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots of 70003 on 4Z70 Rugeley PS - Stoke Gifford - it looks like quite a heat haze from the cooler group in the first picture!

More pictures at http://joalder.fotopic.net/c1815519.html

cheers

jo

• 3 weeks later...

Had a long (cold) day out today around South Gloucestershire/north Bristol. 7 freights with 4 types of traction seemed ok thoughbiggrin.gif

post-6899-126817030508_thumb.jpg

Running about half an hour early 60054 'Charles Babbage' storms north with 6E41 Westerleigh to Lindsey empty tanks at Hall End about to enter the southern portal of Wickwar tunnel

post-6899-126817058732_thumb.jpg

Voyager 220006 heads under the footbridge just south of Wickwar tunnel

post-6899-126817033325_thumb.jpg

The first time I've photographed this working with a pair of sheds, 66204 leads 66007 and 6B13 from Robeston out of Wickwar tunnel, about 15 minutes from its destination of Westerleigh oil terminal

post-6899-126817044861_thumb.jpg

70003 seems to be stuck on 4Z70 Rugeley - Stoke Gifford. This time it's seen making plenty of noise just to the south of Wickwar tunnel

post-6899-126817047148_thumb.jpg

66069 leads a rake of 16 ex-RMC hoppers past Ram Hill on 6B35 Hayes to Moreton on Lugg

post-6899-126817060408_thumb.jpg

Another 'foreign' livery working for FGW, colourful Silverlink liveried 150121 passes Ram Hill. The FGW branding suprisingly doesn't look out of place on these units

post-6899-126817050357_thumb.jpg

Certainly the working of the month so far, and one many people never thought would happen again due to the DRS fleet rationalistation, but over 9 months since it last happened, today brought a pair of choppers on the Bridgwater flasks. 20304 is seen here leading 20301 on 6M67 Bridgwater to Crewe nuclear flasks at Ram Hill, today, unusually, running to time, or there abouts!

post-6899-126817052618_thumb.jpg

66162 grinds slowly up the gradient at Ram Hill with 6L97 Grange Sidings to Lea Interchange working conveying slag to the Olympic construction site

post-6899-126817054616_thumb.jpg

Having been reported 50 minutes early at Didcot, an epic wait followed, with 66070 and 6B33 Theale - Robeston eventually passing near enough running to time. In the cold and dull the wait seemed an eternity. The train was held the other side of Westerleigh Junction to allow the Voyager out in front of it, so wasn't moving too fast past Ram Hill

It all goes to show, even with traffic still not up with the levels of a couple of years ago, there is still plenty of variety about. Some more piccies from today are at http://joalder.fotop...t/c1823434.html

cheers

jo

Hmm, loitering on the old trackbed from Callow Lane to Coalpit Heath, no doubt! wink.gif laugh.gif

Nice photos, Jo.

Indeed it be, Cap'n! At least, if it's not the track bed, it's a path off it. It's amazing how much railway there was in the area at one time

Thanks for the comments guys

cheers

jo

Today saw the first working of a class 59 into Westerleigh on the Murco tanks. The locos weren't multi'd up, and according to the driver, the 66 was tucked inside as insurance incase anything happened to 59205. 66067 led the train back with the 59 dead in train, certainly not hanging about taking the empties away back to Robeston. Apparently the arragement will continue for the rest of the week as a test of the 59 before it goes it alone if all is well

post-6899-126835113744_thumb.jpg

59205 and 66067 stabled at Westerleigh

post-6899-126835148327_thumb.jpg

Spot the Difference! The maroon is a completely different shade - the (clean bits) of the 66 are far more purple in shade

post-6899-126835149918_thumb.jpg

Ready for the off with 6B47 to Robeston

cheers

jo

Today saw a pair of 57s on the 6M67 Bridgwater - Crewe CLS flasks - 57008 and 57009. Of note is the different cooler groups present - 57008 has the traditional class 47 style, whilst 57009 is fitted with the shiny mesh covered type used on the ETH class 57/3 and 57/6 conversions. This is a recent mod, carried out at Barrow Hill

post-6899-126876243977_thumb.jpg

The pair of bodysnatchers are seen passing Hall End, which is to the south of Wickwar tunnel

cheers

jo

With what is being reported as possibly the last week of class 57/3 operation on the FGW Cardiff-Tauntons, I made a couple of trips out this week.

What!! They're stopping the loco-hauled services??!!?!?!?! What type of train is taking over, or have they cut the number of services?

What!! They're stopping the loco-hauled services??!!?!?!?! What type of train is taking over, or have they cut the number of services?

I wopuldn't be surprised top hear this is because of the reliability issues that they have had with the 57s. Mega shame if they do though!! What about getting in some 37s instead??

Simon

Well, one month on the 57s are still working it. The rumour doing the rounds at the time was that it was going over to DBS 67s due to reliability issues with the 57s. Both this working, and the 67s on the Cardiff - Paignton will eventually cease, when London Overground and London Midland take delivery of class 172s, which will release their class 150s to FGW, freeing up other units in the FGW area, and allowing the return of the Northern 142s and Arriva 150s to their operators.

cheers

jo

Well, one month on the 57s are still working it. The rumour doing the rounds at the time was that it was going over to DBS 67s due to reliability issues with the 57s.

Thanks for clearing that up, I should have looked when the message was posted. The suituation wasn't helped by my guessing the posting date as very recent due to my information being out of date (I thought it was only the Cardiff - Taunton with 67s until Mum told me she saw 57s at Cardiff when traveling down to vist relations a week or two back and I assumed the 57s hadn't been in use much before that). I realise now that I was much mistaken.
Both this working, and the 67s on the Cardiff - Paignton will eventually cease, when London Overground and London Midland take delivery of class 172s, which will release their class 150s to FGW, freeing up other units in the FGW area, and allowing the return of the Northern 142s and Arriva 150s to their operators.

That sounds a little daft to me. Doesn't having doors part way along the cars (as class 150s do) instead of at the ends mean the unit is designed for short-distance commuter services, whereas the Cardiff - Paignton and possiblly Cardiff - Taunton runs sound like longer distance services to my un-trained brain. As far as I've been able to find out there are plenty of Mrk2 coaches off-lease and if these were used there might actually be enough trains to enable use-able levels of services to places like my nearest surviving station of Fishguard Harbour. I've been trying to assertain what locos can push-pull the Mrk2 stock with a veiw to proposing such things. So far I've been told 47/7s cannot work with the Mrk2 DBSOs anymore and I am still trying to find out what diesel locos can multiple with another if there is a train of coaches and only 1 driver between them (and without draging dead-weight around, as I think I heard the FGW loco hauls currently do).

Thanks for clearing that up, I should have looked when the message was posted. The suituation wasn't helped by my guessing the posting date as very recent due to my information being out of date (I thought it was only the Cardiff - Taunton with 67s until Mum told me she saw 57s at Cardiff when traveling down to vist relations a week or two back and I assumed the 57s hadn't been in use much before that). I realise now that I was much mistaken.

That sounds a little daft to me. Doesn't having doors part way along the cars (as class 150s do) instead of at the ends mean the unit is designed for short-distance commuter services, whereas the Cardiff - Paignton and possiblly Cardiff - Taunton runs sound like longer distance services to my un-trained brain. As far as I've been able to find out there are plenty of Mrk2 coaches off-lease and if these were used there might actually be enough trains to enable use-able levels of services to places like my nearest surviving station of Fishguard Harbour. I've been trying to assertain what locos can push-pull the Mrk2 stock with a veiw to proposing such things. So far I've been told 47/7s cannot work with the Mrk2 DBSOs anymore and I am still trying to find out what diesel locos can multiple with another if there is a train of coaches and only 1 driver between them (and without draging dead-weight around, as I think I heard the FGW loco hauls currently do).

The 150s, as EWS Jo said, would be used to replace and free up other units, (hopefully including the Pacers), and would not necessarily be used as direct replacements for the loco-hauled sets. It's a thing called 'cascading', dating from BR days and before. Top'n'tailed loco-hauled rakes are only ever a short-term solution, pending the arrival of other MU or push-pull stock. They serve either to allow a new service to start with relatively low capital outlay (Wrexham- London services, for example) or to maintain ORR-specified service levels when there is a short-term shortage of stock due to accidents, modifications or late delivery of stock elsewhere holding up the cascade.

The 150s, as EWS Jo said, would be used to replace and free up other units, (hopefully including the Pacers), and would not necessarily be used as direct replacements for the loco-hauled sets. It's a thing called 'cascading', dating from BR days and before. Top'n'tailed loco-hauled rakes are only ever a short-term solution, pending the arrival of other MU or push-pull stock. They serve either to allow a new service to start with relatively low capital outlay (Wrexham- London services, for example) or to maintain ORR-specified service levels when there is a short-term shortage of stock due to accidents, modifications or late delivery of stock elsewhere holding up the cascade.

I understand the principle of cascading, with new build stock being introduced to replace existing stock which is then freed up to replace even less suitable/modern trains on other routes. However, when stock is casscaded by the introduction of new stock (in this case 172s cascading 150s) the casscaded stock should go to where it provides greater improvements in suitability than the introduction of other available rolling stock would. (In this case, Mrk2f coaches (over 40 standard class and a few 1st class and buffet vehicles, to my knowledge) are available, which are more suitable than 150s for Cardiff - Taunton/Paignton services (vice-versa for Cardiff valleys services)). Therefore, if these were the only 2 routes to consider (which they aren't, and Cardiff valleys may in fact have plenty of trains anyway) Mrk2 stock would be allocated to Cardiff-Taunton/Paignton and the casscaded 150s to the valley lines.

So why are top and tailed loco-hauled trains never looked on as a longer-term solution? I understand that using two locos to move the coaching stock around is more expensive than using one loco would be, especially if whichever loco is at the rear is not assiting. However as there are, to my knowledge, no avialable DMUs (or driving trailer vehicles that will still work with our only TDM fitted desiel locomotives (47/7s) without modification) there is a lack of alternatives. It is of course possible that one locomotive could be used on the train without a driving trailer, however with run-rounds taking time (of particular annoyance if the train has to reverse on the route, as trains to Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock have to do at Carmarthen) and run round loops being removed in some places (I've heard steam specials into London termini require the use of a locomotive to haul the coaches back out of the station to free the trapped locomotive) even this has it's problems.

That sounds a little daft to me. Doesn't having doors part way along the cars (as class 150s do) instead of at the ends mean the unit is designed for short-distance commuter services, whereas the Cardiff - Paignton and possiblly Cardiff - Taunton runs sound like longer distance services to my un-trained brain.

The distance the train runs isn't actually relevant, i'd be very surprised if even 5% of people (railfans excluded!) use these trains as a way to get from Cardiff to Taunton - the majority of users will be doing Cardiff-Bristol, Bristol-Weston or similar.

The Cardiff-Taunton diagrams (most of which are covered by units including 150s and 143s!) are actually all-stations stoppers not "intercity" style services.

So why are top and tailed loco-hauled trains never looked on as a longer-term solution? I understand that using two locos to move the coaching stock around is more expensive than using one loco would be, especially if whichever loco is at the rear is not assiting. However as there are, to my knowledge, no avialable DMUs (or driving trailer vehicles that will still work with our only TDM fitted desiel locomotives (47/7s) without modification) there is a lack of alternatives. It is of course possible that one locomotive could be used on the train without a driving trailer, however with run-rounds taking time (of particular annoyance if the train has to reverse on the route, as trains to Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock have to do at Carmarthen) and run round loops being removed in some places (I've heard steam specials into London termini require the use of a locomotive to haul the coaches back out of the station to free the trapped locomotive) even this has it's problems.

I think you just answered your own question, it's more expensive. They are used right now as there is a shortage of DMU's - if there was not a shortage of DMU's they would not be used. That's the definition of "not a longer term solution".

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting these Joe

As someone whose Railway clock stopped in 1979 its really quite interesting to see such loco-hauled variety around Bristol.

Clearly not in the same league as the 1960s and 1970s but it is not as boring as I had stereotyped. I'm actually beginning to quite like 66s and the new 70s, will take a look out the Window more often (can see the embankments West of Winterbourne from my house)

I think you just answered your own question, it's more expensive. They are used right now as there is a shortage of DMU's - if there was not a shortage of DMU's they would not be used. That's the definition of "not a longer term solution".

However, my point was since there is a shortage of DMUs and driving trailer vehicles, with cascading of suitable units not very likely to happen in the short term, they may have reason to expect long term operation of the top&tailed loco-hauled trains (of course if a suitable cheaper option became available it would be taken on instead.)

However, my point was since there is a shortage of DMUs and driving trailer vehicles, with cascading of suitable units not very likely to happen in the short term, they may have reason to expect long term operation of the top&tailed loco-hauled trains (of course if a suitable cheaper option became available it would be taken on instead.)

A cascading of suitable units will start to happen during this year though, with newbuild 172's releasing 150's from London Midland and London Overground to First Great Western - i'm wary of being definative as the DfT seem to love changing the details every few minutes, but with that in mind i'd not bet my own money on loco hauled continuing to the same extent after the summer timetable ends.

The inbound units are supposed to send the Exeter 142's back up North and the leased-in Arriva 150's back to Wales as well, but again we'll see how it pans out in practise.

After that there's a really big shakeup due 2013-2015 (which is very much "short term" in the context of a railway!) - 165/166 units will cascade to the Bristol area from Thames Valley - electrification in the Liverpool/Manchester area's at the same time will also be freeing up lots of units (everything from Pacers to 185s and conceivably even a batch of Voyagers!)

So no. I don't see long term operation of loco hauled sets in this kind of work as likely when in 5 to 6 years there should be plenty of DMU's available. This is a short term solution that works when there is no sensible alternative (like now!) Enjoy it while you can!

I do reckon they are a decent solution for low volume "intercity" work though, as WSMR is using them.

After that there's a really big shakeup due 2013-2015 (which is very much "short term" in the context of a railway!) - 165/166 units will cascade to the Bristol area from Thames Valley - electrification in the Liverpool/Manchester area's at the same time will also be freeing up lots of units (everything from Pacers to 185s and conceivably even a batch of Voyagers!)

I therefore mis-understood the meaning of short-term, I wouldn't have thought short-term would stretch much further than 2012-2013, certainly not as far ahead as 2015.

A cascading of suitable units will start to happen during this year though, with newbuild 172's releasing 150's from London Midland and London Overground to First Great Western

That's a litte sooner than I beleived, but I'm still not entirly convinced that 150s are suitable for these routes. You said the services were all-station stoppers though, and a check on Google Earth revealed a few more stations between Western-Super-Mare and Newport than came to mind, so 150s may actually be suited to the Cardiff - Taunton.

I do reckon they are a decent solution for low volume "intercity" work though, as WSMR is using them.

You see, that is the kind of work I assumed the Cardiff-Taunton was, in fact even after my Google Earth-ing I still think that the Cardiff-Paignton sounds like it should be such a service and therefore that 150s are not well suited to the service. I'm probablly mistaken, yet again, of course.

As mentioned over the 'End of the Tugs' thread, today saw a pair of 60s on the 6V98 Lindsey-Westerleigh and 6E41 return. The whole operation was delayed by around 3 hours due to 60009 failing and needing 60054 to rescue it. Despite the weather, it was a worthwhile trip out, including getting 70003 at Pilning. Every time I got to catch a 70 it seems to be number 3 that crops up!

post-6899-126938557242_thumb.jpg

70003 descends towards the Severn Tunnel with 6M04 from Portbury to Rugeley at Pilning

post-6899-126938568195_thumb.jpg

With the second Severn Bridge in the background, 158951 heading for Portsmouth Harbour powers towards Pilning

post-6899-126938559357_thumb.jpg

Due to the late arrival of 6V98 (and late departure of 6E41) 59203, leading 6B13 Robeston to Westerleigh with 66165, was forced to wait at the end of the Network Rail metals for over an hour until the shunter arrived to oversee the movements

post-6899-126938562086_thumb.jpg

Not an everyday sight - 4 locos sitting in the sidings at Westerleigh oil terminal

post-6899-126938565247_thumb.jpg

As the drizzle turned to proper rain, 60054 leads 60009 through Westerleigh village with 6E41 Westerleigh to Lindsey, running 3 hours down due to 60009's failure on the loaded 6V98 tanks this morning

The full set are at http://joalder.fotopic.net/

cheers

jo

Archived