Middeldrecht, DE

Andrew Peters

Well I have been on here for a while lurkingrolleyes.gif , so I thought I'd post somethingbiggrin.gif .

This is my first attempt at a proper layout, so please be kind. I bought a starter set last christmas and since then have changed my mind various times until I settled on this plan.

The layout is a smallish branchline through station with an endloader and over head gantry on the rear loop, and on the spur will be a small industry or similar.

The layout is 7' x 2' as that is all the space I had to play with. The two parrel tracks at the back will be my fiddleyard so will be hidden in time. The layout is portable so I can more it off the wall for normal operations.

Hope you like

Andrew

Sorry for the picture quality as they were taken quickly on my phone. I will take some better shot's as I go.

post-7262-12600962910937_thumb.jpg

post-7262-12600965198162_thumb.jpg

post-7262-12600969684704_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good start, I have been modelling German N gauge for about 5 years now having stepped up from Z.

However your posting did cause me to ask myself a question. This morning I was out round my two local model shops and was looking at the cost of British Diesels and Railcars from around ??60 to ??110 the low range are offers at Modelzone and comparing this to the cost of European loco's ??145 to ??200 it make me wonder if starting today would I model German or British.

Sorry if this goes off track.

Ron

what era are you modeling?

Am hoping to be able to do it so it covers epoche 3 to 4, as I want to run steam mainly but some of the newer diesels and wagons are nice to.

This morning I was out round my two local model shops and was looking at the cost of British Diesels and Railcars from around ??60 to ??110 the low range are offers at Modelzone and comparing this to the cost of European loco's ??145 to ??200 it make me wonder if starting today would I model German or British.

Yeah I know what you mean, I do wonder why I did it sometimes but I wanted a change, I do have a selection of OO stock and track in my loft to do something with someday, just not now. I need a bigger space really.

There's one tip though: get yourself better lighting, especially during construction of the scenic bits. Your eyes will be thankfull wink.gif

Wire up the layout, then commence testruns and operations before you put in the scenery. Saves you ripping it all up... wink.gif

I normally have the lamp that's on the layout on when I'm modelling, the light in the room is an energy bulb and hadn't been on for long either when I took the pic's.

Main wiring is done, the layout is DCC so I've already fitted a pair of bus bars and all the droppers, I need to get my point motors and fit them and then workout how I am going to do the uncoupling as I don't like the 1's on the track. I have got some bits of leftover track and am thinking of making my own uncouplers and hiding them between spare railshuh.gif , as you seam to see bits of rail left all over the place.

QUESTION:

can you get magnetic uncouplers for N guage?

Yes, Kadee offers N-scale versions of their H0 couplers, as do various others. Links: Kadee and Walthers (for others wink.gif)

[edit: Kadee doesn't have N-scale couplers, the H0n3 version might work though. Micro Trains Line has suitable couplers, I think... (I don't do N-scale wink.gif)]

Cheers, looking hopeful with those links

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went and had my class 23 looked at and have now got it running again so I could check all my wiring, and the good new was it all work biggrin.gif

The only problem I have is that when I was in the shop getting the loco repaired I accidently bought this laugh.gif

pc151731.jpg

A trix 212 loco DCC installed. It runs great apart from over my double slip Fleishmann part no. 9184, can anyone suggest a cure :oops: It looks like it losses power as it hits the middle of the crossing where it looks like there is a plastic spacer.

pc131726.jpg

Also here is a better shot of the main station area. The 23 is on what will be the fiddle yard behind a backscene.

I visited my folks the other day to delivery christmas pressies and whilst I was there I picked up some perspex to use for my backscene, I like recycling wink.gif .

My only thought now is how to disguise the join in the middle where the boards come apart.

How do people do it?????unsure.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Long time no update. To much time spent working out the next layout rolleyes.gif

Well here is a quick 1. I have been busy with bit's and piece so I thought I would show you a couple of pictures.

I have laid some filler round the track in the area where there is going to be a factory/ goods warehouse to represent concrete.

Fitted the backscene and painted it to look like sky, couple of bits to finish on it including lining up the joint where the boards meet, still haven't quite worked that out yet. I need to hide it some how.

p2261785.jpg

p2261786.jpg

The other major area that I have been working on is starting the landscaping. For this I have been using florist's Oasis blocks. They are great, I've glued them with wood glue, let it dry then carved them with a junior hacksaw blade and then, to smooth out the cut marks and get a more natural look finished off with sandpaper. I've painted them with some leftover tester pots from decorating the house icon_biggrin.gif If you do this make sure you have a vacum cleaner handy as it makes a terific mess icon_mutter.gif The paints still wet hences it's still glossy.

p2261787.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok folks I have realized I've not posted any progress for some time Sorrytongue.gif I have been doing small bits and pieces and have now got most of the landscape basis in place. I'm not fully decided on a couple of points which I am still thinking of.

One of them is that recently I have seen that there is a Field Bahn available for N guage modellers. I am considering putting 1 on the right hand end where the house is placed, and use it as a way of getting the timber and sand to the yard.

I'm also still trying to workout how to hide the joint in the backdrop.

post-7262-127938752037_thumb.jpg

post-7262-127938761578_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I like this - elegant, simple, not cluttered, and a nice sweeping curve through the visible bit - looking good! I don't know what your scenery is going to do in front of the backscene join but could you consider hiding it with some tall trees or something?

• 4 months later...

Well here is a very overdue update :rolleyes: ,

I am now working again so I could start buying stuff for the railway again, YEAH.

The basis for the senery is all in I think, so I now have to start work on some detailing

pc152208.jpg

pc152207.jpg

The white looking Y at the front is going to be where the roads go, with a crossing over the tracks.

I have also taken on an Idea I saw in an American magazine and have extended the senery beyond the backscene so that there isn't a hard end to the layout.

pc152206.jpg

pc1522062.jpg

• 7 months later...

Opp's I've not updated for ages. Some was lack of money and some lack of time, as well as a mental block.

I've managed to do two things :yes: Yes two. I've bought a Lenz decoder for my points. I have even managed to wire it up and get all five points running.

And I've been doing the green stuff :pleasantry: It's now looking like a landscape rather than a gone wrong ice cream :laugh: :yahoo:

post-7262-0-79005700-1311962140_thumb.jpg

post-7262-0-96844700-1311962276_thumb.jpg

post-7262-0-68159500-1311962339_thumb.jpg

A very nice and atmospheric layout! Like to see more of it!

Just a hint - Middeldrecht is not really a German name for a town, at least not in the type of scenery you set the layout in. The name sounds rather Dutch to me.

Archived