Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A New Home needs a good shed !

Not sure about your floor, but our living room floor is 'Jablite' laid on concrete and tongue and groove chipboard glued and laid on the top, no joists. It gives a nice comfortable floor. Very easy and quick to do, but you need to leave a gap around the edge, as you will do for your wood laminate, hide the gap below the skirting, of course.

What you've done, looks really nice. When are the holiday makers moving in?

• Like 2

Thanks Ray,

You know people keep telling me that I should let this shed out for holiday makers even my eldest son who came over at the weekend has suggested that it would make a great place to have a party and disco in ......I do hope that he does'nt suggest it to the younger son because he would actually go ahead and organise it  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

I have not put any electric's in yet . All the wiring is going to be put into surface mounted trunking mainly so that there are no wires hidden away within the walls or ceiling areas, always a fire risk and possible attack from field mice etc. It also means that if in the future I need to run an extra cable anywhere I can just remove the covers and add it into place. 

I'm currently looking into installing High Frequency Fluorescent fittings which are 20% to 30/% cheaper to run as well as being 'flicker free' as the main lighting for the room, my youngest son is an electrician so he will know how many i will need for general lighting. I also intend to install layout lighting where required as I like to create night effect scenes. 

As far as plug sockets I will put double sockets in each corner of the room so that the trucking can be hidden behind the curved back scenes that I intend to use, and I can then put any leads in anti trip rubber covers on the floor. 

Glad you enjoying the thread and hope it has given you some ideas if you intend to build your own shed in the future. I have no building qualifications but I feel that making my own shed will be cheaper than buying one and it will be far better built and last. I will post the costings once the project is completed. 

• Like 1

I bit of progress over the last two days as I have started to install the insulated floor in the main railway room. Had to go and spend MORE money  :scared: at the builders merchants yesterday. Getting to know the lads there quite well now as I think they think I'm a builder as I get a bit of discount now......thank heavens ......

Bought 29 sheets of Caberfloor that's the one with water proofing just in case I spill anything ....... coffee beer etc  :jester:

post-5136-0-68427700-1441930085.jpg

I have laid 4 x 2 timbers down as a joists over the concrete base and then insulated between them with 80mm insulation span type boarding the same as the walls. Spent a long time checking the framework was as level as possible before bolting the whole to the concrete using 120mm frame fixings Well at least it will help when layout building starts  :declare:

post-5136-0-21565200-1441930658.jpg            post-5136-0-29272600-1441930683.jpg

It's always the way on jobs like this it never matches exactly  :scratchhead:

post-5136-0-00298200-1441930815.jpg

Never mind it will be so much better than bear concrete and nice and cosy too

post-5136-0-61776800-1441930902.jpg

Cheers all should get flooring completed by weekend 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, might be a stupid question but are you laying the chipboard staggered (like brickwork) ? 

Start at one corner and as you work your way along the offcut of the first row becomes the start of the 2nd, and so on.

I tend to do a fully floating floor but as your using seconds which might have a few mm difference between each board you're right to joist it.

Also glue (loads) the Tongue and groove, it makes it one massive sheet of flooring, you then leave 10-15mm all round the edge covered with a skirting. Start with some wedges against the first wall and pull them out at the end.

Getting to know the lads there quite well now as I think they think I'm a builder

Practise the sharp intake of breath and muttering "who left it like this" and they'll be convinced. Take it too far and drag your knuckles on the floor and they'll direct you to Plumb Centre though......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I should point out that the "Funny" rating is for the bit above, not the floor advice... Just back from Travis in Cromer. Guy in front of me had an armful of copper 90 degree bends. He had no neck, fists like hams, hairier than a gorilla and when I caught his eye and said "Morning!", I swear to God he said "Ug". Not sure if that's just plumbers in general or the state of evolution in rural Norfolk...

Edit: His Transit was pikier than mine, Dave...

That sounds like Mick our plumber, he must be working further afield as god forbid if he were to start breeding. . . . .

Looking good, might be a stupid question but are you laying the chipboard staggered (like brickwork) ? 

Start at one corner and as you work your way along the offcut of the first row becomes the start of the 2nd, and so on.

I tend to do a fully floating floor but as your using seconds which might have a few mm difference between each board you're right to joist it.

Also glue (loads) the Tongue and groove, it makes it one massive sheet of flooring, you then leave 10-15mm all round the edge covered with a skirting. Start with some wedges against the first wall and pull them out at the end.

Practise the sharp intake of breath and muttering "who left it like this" and they'll be convinced. Take it too far and drag your knuckles on the floor and they'll direct you to Plumb Centre though......

Yes it is a stupid question to the stupid person who's laying the floor........ :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:

Dave I came in at lunchtime today having very nearly finished the main flooring and while I was eating my soap and toast I thought I'd have a quick browse on RM Web Had a quick look at your post and  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O I suddenly realised what I had done .........what a plonker I am bl--dy knew that there was something wrong with that floor...................Went back out and started again and did it properly this time 

• Like 1

Yes it is a stupid question to the stupid person who's laying the floor........ :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:

Dave I came in at lunchtime today having very nearly finished the main flooring and while I was eating my soap and toast I thought I'd have a quick browse on RM Web Had a quick look at your post and  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O I suddenly realised what I had done .........what a plonker I am bl--dy knew that there was something wrong with that floor...................Went back out and started again and did it properly this time 

• Like 1

What am I like hitting the wrong buttons again.

Well after some timely advise from my on line mentor Dave who has 'Saved my Bacon' on several occasions during this build & design project (Many thanks Dave your a Gentleman and I don't care what other's tell me about you' :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: I think I owe you a couple of beers ......

After a quick start again on the flooring in the main railway room I managed to complete both floors today 

post-5136-0-07295100-1441998260.jpg      post-5136-0-78277700-1441998275.jpg      post-5136-0-35634200-1441998294.jpg

The main railway Room.............

post-5136-0-71169600-1441998619.jpg   post-5136-0-20780800-1441998631.jpg  post-5136-0-21362700-1441998642.jpg

Workshop area 

Have to say it's starting to feel like a railway room now that the flooring is in place .................wow might have to start thinking of building a layout soon  :danced:  :danced:  :danced:  :danced:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whoops !  I thought I was in plenty of time there, the speed we move at it would be days before the floor went down as there's tea to be drunk.

That's looking really good, of course the temptation is to treat the floor as the baseboard and start putting track down now!

Your not far off at all now, bit of cable with smoke in it (try cutting it you'll see I'm right) some sockets and lights and you're pretty much there, or is there a few things not showing up in the pics ?

• Like 3

Well I'm not hanging around with this build what to get it finished before the weather closes in for the Winter. The main room will be a sorting out the junk area once the electric's and doors are hung and I can make it secure. The workshop will take time to organise as there's a lot of stuff to go in that small spare and want to get it right first time.

Still got a bit of work on the roof to finish now that the missing gable end above the workshop is been delivered plus the gutters are still to be ordered. Electrics are the next big job all going to be set in trunking still got to plan that as yet.

Once again thanks for you advise  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, off to Grantham this  morning with the club layout. 

Most important jobs in the list above is the doors and especially guttering, if you have a bit of rain (which is not an unknown where you are :whistle: ) then the wind can carry quite a bit of it in the opening. After that it's whatever you want. . . . . . No it's not. . .it's Baseboards!  :mosking:

Morning, off to Grantham this  morning with the club layout. 

Most important jobs in the list above is the doors and especially guttering, if you have a bit of rain (which is not an unknown where you are :whistle: ) then the wind can carry quite a bit of it in the opening. After that it's whatever you want. . . . . . No it's not. . .it's Baseboards!  :mosking:

Hope you have a good show Mike, that's a show I keep meaning to get over to see as I've heard it's worth attending. 

Yes Doors are a must do job I have left them off until the floor was fitted just for the easy of access to be honest. The guttering is still to be ordered as I'm going for 4mm lengths so that there are less joints as I feel that it will make for a stronger job, it gets fairly windy up on the mountain. 

Totally agree that baseboards are top priority, still to decide what form that they will take to be honest but I following the new thread on here about just that subject, very open minded at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Hope you have a good show Mike Dave, that's a show I keep meaning to get over to see as I've heard it's worth attending. 

Yes Doors are a must do job I have left them off until the floor was fitted just for the easy of access to be honest. The guttering is still to be ordered as I'm going for 4mm lengths so that there are less joints as I feel that it will make for a stronger job, it gets fairly windy up on the mountain. 

Totally agree that baseboards are top priority, still to decide what form that they will take to be honest but I following the new thread on here about just that subject, very open minded at the moment.

Sorry, I know it's only a typo and you meant 4 metre lengths, but that made me chuckle. You've definitely got modelling on the brain :D

You'd have rather a lot of joints if they were 4mm lengths... :)

Al.

Hope you have a good show Mike, that's a show I keep meaning to get over to see as I've heard it's worth attending. 

It's well worth the effort.I am just setting off on my massive journey to the show for the afternoon.  Might stop for refreshments on the way,but filled up with fuel yesterday ready for the adventure. Just checking on Route planner and its 2.57 miles in each direction.

Regards,Del.

• Like 2

Sorry, I know it's only a typo and you meant 4 metre lengths, but that made me chuckle. You've definitely got modelling on the brain :D

You'd have rather a lot of joints if they were 4mm lengths... :)

Al.

See what I mean it's all getting to near ....... building a layout  :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Show was great. and I didn't derail anything....

4M is the standard length that Osma etc comes in from most merchants, I wouldn't worry too much about the number of joints either, you'd be suprised how much plastic moves in the sun so I'd check the joints each year as a matter of course as it tends to creep along.

Show was great. and I didn't derail anything....

4M is the standard length that Osma etc comes in from most merchants, I wouldn't worry too much about the number of joints either, you'd be suprised how much plastic moves in the sun so I'd check the joints each year as a matter of course as it tends to creep along.

I was getting worried there - at first glance misread that as Osama.......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Gismo

I presume the shed withstood storm Barney which probably went right over your part of the world.  Are you able to progress things in this weather or is on hold until spring?