Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

I found myself looking at the Gresley Buffet car pictures and wondering as to its provenance (like Antiques Roadshow!).

I think it may be a Kirk kit, as the shape looks pretty good. Hornby did one in their new release Gresley's, but I'd be very surprised if this was one of them.

I'm sure it will look great in B/G. My only recollection of them in service is in this livery, they did on occasion appear in Liverpool - Newcastle services, which then ran through Manchester Victoria c.1970.

John.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I found myself looking at the Gresley Buffet car pictures and wondering as to its provenance (like Antiques Roadshow!).

I think it may be a Kirk kit, as the shape looks pretty good. Hornby did one in their new release Gresley's, but I'd be very surprised if this was one of them.

I'm sure it will look great in B/G. My only recollection of them in service is in this livery, they did on occasion appear in Liverpool - Newcastle services, which then ran through Manchester Victoria c.1970.

John.

I'm pretty sure it's a Kirk kit John, the interior bits certainly look like the ones included in a tourist stock buffet I built years ago that's now no longer.

Interesting they were on the Liverpool Newcastle runs as that fits very nicely on my layout based on the old Harrogate-Ripon line as if it wasn't closed in 67. 

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hi James,

You might find this interesting/useful.....

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2015/08/15/dinner-time-a-gresley-buffet-for-portchullin/

Oh yes Leopard extremely useful.and what im basing mine on (should have credited that blog!) Iv had these bookmarked/scree shotted for a very long time. I'm sure there was a thread on here too for Porthcullin. If I can get mine somewhere close to his ill be very pleased.

Cheers

James

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, had a trip to the Wakefield show at the weekend to pick up some supplies  to progress the buffet.

20221010_223020.jpg.115e5f05c19c05e1e4157f58c79d8263.jpg

It seems my usual go to modelstrip is no longer available so I got some Deluxe materials strip magic and gave it ago tonight. Quite impressed at how quick it works and with just 2 applications iv got the buffet body pretty well stripped. I'm sure without the panelling one application would have done but there are a lot of nooks and crannies.

20221010_223141.jpg.db9d321847497395439f07eafae636e4.jpg

The roof has had some holes filled and new vents added, need to rig up the emergency brake tell tale and some vents on the ends but coming on now. I'll fetch some primer tomorrow and give it a once over.

I have some buffers and trussing on order from Dart Castings. I picked up a couple more Kirk Gresley kits for a 5er each at the show so expect another Gresley to appear soon that will end up blue and grey.

Cheers

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, tonight's update on the buffet- 

20221012_225157.jpg.b1a4cc04d55ed5ff0853ed57be811802.jpg

The filler etc was given a blow over last night to check for flatness and all seemed well so tonight I sanded I back and added the beading on the buffet side and the windowsill to the small window.

Other little jobs such as re attaching the corridor connections and footsteps also completed. Final task for tonight was to add the pipe that ran down the sole bar on this side  air pipe?

No sign of the buffers and trusses yet and another post strike tomorrow means work may slow up a tad but still got some bits I can do on it like rebuild the interior.

Cheers

James

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening all, tonight's update on the buffet- 

20221012_225157.jpg.b1a4cc04d55ed5ff0853ed57be811802.jpg

The filler etc was given a blow over last night to check for flatness and all seemed well so tonight I sanded I back and added the beading on the buffet side and the windowsill to the small window.

Other little jobs such as re attaching the corridor connections and footsteps also completed. Final task for tonight was to add the pipe that ran down the sole bar on this side  air pipe?

No sign of the buffers and trusses yet and another post strike tomorrow means work may slow up a tad but still got some bits I can do on it like rebuild the interior.

Cheers

James

Vacuum brake pipe, there is a little wiggle about half way where a T jucntion is for the pipe that connects to the brake cylinders on the coach.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Vacuum brake pipe, there is a little wiggle about half way where a T jucntion is for the pipe that connects to the brake cylinders on the coach.

Cheers Clive, ah so that explains the joggle. I assumed it may have been for air as it looks a bit of an after thought!

Ta for info

James

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, update on the buffet. The rail grey is now applied and iv worked on the interior today.

I found a pic of the counter as it was in late BR days from the NNR conversion back to original state of E1928E which weirdly is the number I'm aiming this model on.

20221016_214857.jpg.2a51a1cd47f63f74da6d5ddfb37ab506.jpg20221016_214911.jpg.ab53fbf1223ed0408f549c36835a8d17.jpg

I knocked up the counter/serving area this afternoon and painted it a bit to look like varnished wood. Also back in are the seats that I had plus a home made replacement. Tables will go back in after I glaze it.

Next up is the rail blue and I best order some buffet transfers too. Hopefully the MJT bits will arrive this week as well.

Cheers

James

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Quick update before I head off for the afternoon, all going well with the buffet, new trusses and buffer are all on and the first coat of black applied where needed. Also added the bogie footsteps too where they were needed.

20221022_143618.jpg.c6662851f48900f56a80ee09bf1380ec.jpg

Transfers arrived this morning so final paint fettling before lining etc and weathering down. Really enjoyed this little project.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Looking good, but not sure the solebars were blue?

Well it seems the jury is out but plan it to weather it down so blue or black it sort of becomes the sam mucky colour.

Got a feeling they were painted blue or black depending on the day but I feel I'm edging towards black under the grime on the pics iv seen. Going for E1928E and I can't quite be certain....

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 22:07, jessy1692 said:

I found a pic of the counter as it was in late BR days from the NNR conversion back to original state of E1928E which weirdly is the number I'm aiming this model on.

I knocked up the counter/serving area this afternoon and painted it a bit to look like varnished wood

It looks just like the photo James, really nice modelling there. I'm pretty much going with the same photo for modelling the inside of my Thompson Buffet, which I'm guessing would have looked much the same in the 70s, although it will probably be simplified a little compared to your "high fidelity" version!

I'd forgotten how similar both vehicles were in terms of window layout etc.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

It looks just like the photo James, really nice modelling there. I'm pretty much going with the same photo for modelling the inside of my Thompson Buffet, which I'm guessing would have looked much the same in the 70s, although it will probably be simplified a little compared to your "high fidelity" version!

I'd forgotten how similar both vehicles were in terms of window layout etc.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, glad I found that pic to add that extra bit to the model and yeah I'm sure the Thompsons will have been about the same. Think I'll be bashing a couple of Thompsons into a buffet once iv cleared the Gresley off after seeing yours, not that I need any more catering cars!

All the best

James

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 23:04, jessy1692 said:

Well it seems the jury is out but plan it to weather it down so blue or black it sort of becomes the sam mucky colour.

Got a feeling they were painted blue or black depending on the day but I feel I'm edging towards black under the grime on the pics iv seen. Going for E1928E and I can't quite be certain....

I have a strong feeling they were blue, but wouldn't bet the house on it!

As you say, goes to a browny goo colour pretty quick.

John.

P.S. Quick scan through Google, some colour pics showing blue on the footboards which have been scuffed by feet. Otherwise brown goo colour dominates. So looks like blue was the colour, but quickly covered up by dirt.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Added PS
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers John and Bernard, iv either missed or not clocked that good shot of the blue solebar on 9135 so deffo sticking with blue with goo!

Everything iv seen for 9128 is just mucky brown so ta for the info! 

Hopefully I'll get the transfers on tonight.

All the best

James

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 14:21, jessy1692 said:

Cheers John and Bernard, iv either missed or not clocked that good shot of the blue solebar on 9135 so deffo sticking with blue with goo!

Everything iv seen for 9128 is just mucky brown so ta for the info! 

Hopefully I'll get the transfers on tonight.

All the best

James

All the Gresley Buffet cars had either bogie brown or bogie black sole bars. The guttering was also painted rail blue above the red stripe.

Al Taylor.

12 hours ago, 45125 said:

All the Gresley Buffet cars had either bogie brown or bogie black sole bars. The guttering was also painted rail blue above the red stripe.

Al Taylor.

Interesting point about the guttering. The picture posted by Bernard TPM above (3 posts) does show this when you look closely. It also shows the blue solebars however.

John.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Interesting point about the guttering. The picture posted by Bernard TPM above (3 posts) does show this when you look closely. It also shows the blue solebars however.

John.

Yeah and I'd missed that and varnished it yesterday! Thing the blue may be coming out again soon.

Thanks for the heads up chaps.

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Gresley has been running around in the blue and grey rake for a while now, must have forgot to pop a picture on of it completed!20221124_180928.jpg.f0eb63c1e977bf1bf6b7c792c56b86bb.jpg

Quick pic attached and also the current project going through the filling cycles.

20221124_181058.jpg.72bed43d4a2a89c7acb4ce1ff6564f97.jpg

Been a bit if a hectic couple of weeks with work and stuff so not a lot going on model wise, hopefully more time to catch up in the run up to the C word.

Cheers

James

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2022 at 11:35, BernardTPM said:

There are very few clear pictures where they are clean enough to be sure, but this one definitely does show a blue solebar in 1974 (close to ex-works at a guess). The same coach a little earlier (1970) and it looks brown!

Not convinced of the blue solebar - it doesn't look much different from the trussing, or the solebar of the adjacent Mk.1.

To be convincing, you'd need an ex-works image from broadside-on; one trip after release from works and the solebar / undergear is going to be coated in a layer of track and brakeshoe dust, which will affect the way light is reflected.

CJI.

Well that first image behind the Western in 1974 it is near ex-works*, the sides shiny and the lettering on the solebar very clear and I think it is blue (the trussing doesn't), but in the second 1970 image it is slightly grubbier, though there the solebar shows no indication of being blue at all. That would suggest it could be that the later repaint was more correct to the corporate scheme than the first.

*even the brake release handle is clean and red.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Well that first image behind the Western in 1974 it is near ex-works*, the sides shiny and the lettering on the solebar very clear and I think it is blue (the trussing doesn't), but in the second 1970 image it is slightly grubbier, though there the solebar shows no indication of being blue at all. That would suggest it could be that the later repaint was more correct to the corporate scheme than the first.

*even the brake release handle is clean and red.

Clearly a case of individual perception - but certainly not (for me) justification for painting a model contrary to official spec.

CJI.