Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

Page 27 of Window On The Great Western (MF Yarwood). We must have had stronger bladders back then.In the days of Valleys Sunday School outings to Barry Island and Porthcawl most excursion stock was non corridor.International rugby matches at Cardiff Arms Park.....aka Wales Millennium Stadium .....were similarly supplied with the same.The tradition of pre or post match celebration/drowning of sorrows in your favourite Cardiiff pub had to be governed by individual bladder capacity.Makes your eyes water to think about it now.Hang on....must pay a visit......

Ah yes. One does not buy beer; one merely rents it. If reincarnation is true, I’d like to return as a washing machine. Imagine the joy of being plumbed in!

Ah yes. One does not buy beer; one merely rents it. If reincarnation is true, I’d like to return as a washing machine. Imagine the joy of being plumbed in!

Are you, by any chance, smoking an illegal substance?

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic: did the coachboards appear on secondary services, eg Mid Wales, or Hereford - Brecon , for example?

Thought I would give this a bump.....would quite like to know the answer myself!

Slightly off topic: did the coachboards appear on secondary services, eg Mid Wales, or Hereford - Brecon , for example? 

I think they must have done, if you look at the Roger Smith Boards, whilst somewhat Paddington dominated, they do include examples for trains not originating at Paddington, Birmingham to Kingswear being one.

Whether shorter services within a region, for example starting and ending in the Midlands Region, would have had boards I suppose we'll have to look at the photos.

One thing that has puzzled me is what length coach board to use. To explain the ones I bought for a couple of named trains from Sankeys appear half length - Are these suitable for GWR stock or only Mk 1?

Depends which boards you mean.  If you are thinking of the 18 ft ones on the roof, I doubt it very much.  My impression is that the roofboards were intended for the moe principal services and with the best will in the world that is a description that cannot be applied to the Mid Wales line!  If, however, you are thinking of the smaller ones - about 2 ft 6 in long - then 'probably' is my best guess.  Maybe there is a photograph somewhere that will shed more light.

Chris

Edited by chrisf

Depends which boards you mean.  If you are thinking of the 18 ft ones on the roof, I doubt it very much.  My impression is that the roofboards were intended for the moe principal services and with the best will in the world that is a description that cannot be applied to the Mid Wales line!  If, however, you are thinking of the smaller ones - about 2 ft 6 in long - then 'probably' is my best guess.  Maybe there is a photograph somewhere that will shed more light.

Chris

Thanks Chris: saves me having to make up 18' roofboards.

I think they must have done, if you look at the Roger Smith Boards, whilst somewhat Paddington dominated, they do include examples for trains not originating at Paddington, Birmingham to Kingswear being one.

Whether shorter services within a region, for example starting and ending in the Midlands Region, would have had boards I suppose we'll have to look at the photos.

One thing that has puzzled me is what length coach board to use. To explain the ones I bought for a couple of named trains from Sankeys appear half length - Are these suitable for GWR stock or only Mk 1?

The WR Sankey boards are the side boards for mark 1 stock. Personally, I now make my own on the PC Coachman/Larry Goddard style, which gives me the flexiblity to re-route some trains for my chosen layout.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

The WR Sankey boards are the side boards for mark 1 stock. Personally, I now make my own on the PC Coachman/Larry Goddard style, which gives me the flexiblity to re-route some trains for my chosen layout.

Mike Wiltshire

To be honest I was thinking of doing the same thing, especially since my layout (when trains eventually run) is intended to be a principal station on the mainline from London which would probably get a mention on any coach boards.

Somewhat annoying about the Sankey boards, I know they weren't expensive but I don't recall it being clear when I was looking at the website that these were only suitable MK1 stock. Suppose I could have missed it.

Chris

Would these be the short one sometimes seen just below roof level on some non-corridor stock? Presumably they only listed the destination rather than stations in between.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hey, just tried looking to buy some of these and noticed that they are out of stock in most places.  Will there be another run of these coaches in the same GWR livery?

The GWR ones were certainly popular as they were the first 'decent' true GWR stock we have had. A similar sort if thing happened with the very 1st batch of Maunsells Hornby released. The big difference is that when the Maunsells came out before the big financial crash and Hornbys production / financial woes which meant that Hornby could quickly announce further batches and variants.

Thus in todays climate, while its a pretty sure bet that they will be released again - this will not be happening until 2017 at the earliest. Even then its quite likely that the livery may be altered - the Shirtbutton style is a simple one to do as far as Hornby is concerned although I'm sure there are plenty of people who would quite like the physudo panelled livery or the post WW2 Hawksworth style.

So if you do want the GWR ones released a month or two ago and cannot wait another 12 months or so, its very much a case of scour the internet and model shows to find a trader that still has the odd one or two hidden away somewhere - because, as you discovered all the main retailers have long since sold out of them.

• Like 1

Hey, just tried looking to buy some of these and noticed that they are out of stock in most places.  Will there be another run of these coaches in the same GWR livery?

53a in Hull had quite a few of them in a couple of weeks ago, and it's not exactly GWR territory so I would imagine they still have a few! I believe they do mail order - maybe try giving them a call? Hereford MC also have both Composites in the GWR livery in stock on their website. A few eBay sellers have them at RRP with reasonable postage, so check on there too. 

I think with these Colletts it's a case of scouring the off-line model shops because many do seem to retain good stock levels for longer than the on-line stores - a symptom of the modern age I suppose!

Still, this augurs well for Hornby's bottom line and the prospect of further livery styles/diagrams alike!

Cheers, 

CoY
Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

There were a few on the shelves at Shildon a couple of weeks ago.

Mike Wiltshire

I just received a R4683 (RH) composite in GWR livery from Hereford Model centre. My wife looked over my shoulder as I was taking it out and said "oooh, that looks nice". :declare:  Hornby have clearly got it right :jester: .

I've compared the chassis to my scrathbuild for the non-corridor versions I'm building (see GWR models and prototype area) and they match up pretty well (phew) although my 2.5mm channel underframe looks a bit undernourished. If they were a bit cheaper I'd just graft the sides I have onto the Hornby models (although if the chassis was available as a a spare I'd grab a few in seconds). As it is I'll continue building mine.

Hornby will probably release the non-corridors before I finish :no:    .

• Like 1