Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Hi Ian,

Yes you are quite right, the cab sides and roof were, up to now, the most difficult bit.

Yours is very nice, if mine looks half as good, I'll be happy.

I'm looking forward to the next JLTRT kit now, which one though, 57xx, 4575, 2251, L&Y Class 27, Class 24/1 or a 56xx?????

I think the next build after the 4F will be my Dia 1851 Stanier Period III Corridor Brake Third from Sidelines. The kit looks very nice indeed and plenty of lost wax brass fittings too.

But not forgetting the current build of the 4F, today saw the tender and loco chassis primered, fettled, primered again, and then sprayed satin black. I also did the same to the tender body!!!

I will endeavour to get some pictures together tomorrow plus some of the loco itself as I'm just at the stage of fitting the resin boiler section permanently to the footplate.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Hi Jinty,

Just found your new thread. Thought you had been quite on the 00 stuff looks like you have given it the flick and gone large.

The 4f looks superb though, good luck with the rest of the build I will be following now. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Jinty,

Just found your new thread. Thought you had been quite on the 00 stuff looks like you have given it the flick and gone large.

The 4f looks superb though, good luck with the rest of the build I will be following now. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, it's been quite consuming, I'm using this area as a sort of WB come information and background place, but when I start Talyllyn properly, I'll be starting a thread in the Layout Forum.

Thank you for the kind compliment, I'm finding it so very interesting, and I'm using skills and techniques I thought I'd forgotten!!!

There will still be the odd diesel on the layout, Craig has persuaded me top have a DMU, a 116, and I've already got a JLTRT Class 24/1 here waiting for my attention.

I've been trying to get the boiler section finished ready to fit it to the running plate today, but a few interruptions have hindered progress a bit.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Ian,Yes you are quite right, the cab sides and roof were, up to now, the most difficult bit.Yours is very nice, if mine looks half as good, I'll be happy.I'm looking forward to the next JLTRT kit now, which one though, 57xx, 4575, 2251, L&Y Class 27, Class 24/1 or a 56xx?????I

Hi Jinty.

I have built a 57xx and an 8750 from JLTRT. The 57 has an etched cab while the 87 has resin parts. I preferred the etch as it looks more like sheet metal, but both looked the part. I fitted the 8750 with Griffin valve gear which filled the inter frame void. The only diesels I built were 3 peaks when the kit still had etched bogies, now resin like the 24. With the diesel kits the hardest part is getting the info as it seems the every one has different fittings, The castings provided in the kits cover most variations and you are left with a bag of spares!

Enjoy the Sidelines kit. I have a rake in BR maroon and they look the part.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

A reasonable day on the 4F today, kept getting disturbed, but managed a good few hours on it.

Made up and fitted the injector manifolds by the rear steps.

post-14906-0-12861900-1433614524_thumb.jpg

Then after fixing the resin boiler down onto the footplate, I carried on with all the fittings associated around the firebox/boiler/smokebox.

post-14906-0-72751600-1433614536_thumb.jpg

The tender as I mentioned was painted yesterday, so I plonked on a late BR totem this morning and tomorrow I will varnish over the whole tender before filling it with real coal.

post-14906-0-92875200-1433614548_thumb.jpg

And here are the two parts together.

post-14906-0-31888600-1433614566_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do now on the loco is to give it a clean in a couple of places, to remove some cyano glue that found its way onto the cab roof!!!!!! and then to prime and fettle before the coat of satin black. I'll fit the lubricators once the loco is painted as I've drilled them through and fitted fine copper pipework, after painting the lubricators black. so once fitted after the body is painted will enhance the copper pipework from the lubricators.

I've also got the backhead to do, but that will be fitted after painting.

I tested the loco round a 5'6" radius curve and it went round it ok, although it did baulk a bit in reverse!!! But as 6' radius is going to be minimum it should be ok.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Afternoon Jints, the 4G thingy is coming along well, will the front end be full yellow or small warning panel yellow ?  :locomotive:

Anyway I had a decent half day out yesterday morning, I dropped off some more 4mm contraband to another RMweb member in Llangollen, which I then managed to wangle my way into the sidings at Pentre Felin "with a big thanks for the information of how to from our Rod "West Kirby Town" Morgan, got some good detailing shots on a couple of the bogcarts there, then got a couple of pictures of this noisy, smokey thing below ...... hope you like the Kettle pic ? 

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-45918600-1433676677_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

Hi Peter,

Yes, it's been quite consuming, I'm using this area as a sort of WB come information and background place, but when I start Talyllyn properly, I'll be starting a thread in the Layout Forum.

Thank you for the kind compliment, I'm finding it so very interesting, and I'm using skills and techniques I thought I'd forgotten!!!

There will still be the odd diesel on the layout, Craig has persuaded me top have a DMU, a 116, and I've already got a JLTRT Class 24/1 here waiting for my attention.

I've been trying to get the boiler section finished ready to fit it to the running plate today, but a few interruptions have hindered progress a bit.

Jinty ;)

You know it makes sense, just turn the key and go ....... none of this waiting for the thing to brew up malarkey  :drag:

I must stop this fun poking at the Steamers or I will getting banned !!!  :protest:

Guest bri.s

"Afternoon Jints, the 4G thingy is coming along well, will the front end be full yellow or small warning panel yellow ? "

I think small yellow panel and headcode boxes :)

What controller are you using for the 0 layout ? , what did you have for wrexbury ? Will you need more power

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hello Brian and Jinty, with regards to controllers, I have the original Gaugemaster Prodigy system, and I tried it on my Heljan Class 31 sound fitted with an ESU XL decoder, and on a few lengths of straight flat track it coped with no problems, I think the Prodigy has a safety cut out at around 2.5amps, and the twin motored Heljan loco was drawing about 1amp, but with a few coaches in tow I am not sure what the consumption will go up to.

I will tell you in about 8 years time when I will have built my layout !!!

Hope this helps

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Hello Brian and Jinty, with regards to controllers, I have the original Gaugemaster Prodigy system, and I tried it on my Heljan Class 31 sound fitted with an ESU XL decoder, and on a few lengths of straight flat track it coped with no problems, I think the Prodigy has a safety cut out at around 2.5amps, and the twin motored Heljan loco was drawing about 1amp, but with a few coaches in tow I am not sure what the consumption will go up to.

I will tell you in about 8 years time when I will have built my layout !!!

Hope this helps

Craig

Ahhh the infernal Prodigy, Shhhhhh, did I really say that????

A Prodigy Advance will kick out around 3A, so is well capable for a small/medium O'gauge layout, providing you don't have like 10 sound locos all moving at the same time!!!!

I dislike them as they are not wholly NMRA compliant (I know it says they are on the website) and have hidden quirks, for instance, one of their little foibles is that if you have a DCC equipped loco and it's set to run on DC as well, once you use it with the Prodigy, it will automatically disable this function. That isn't supposed to happen with NMRA compliancy, also I've heard of CV19 (consisting) issues!!!

But if you're happy with it, don't let me put you off!!!!! lol  :jester:

In answer to your question Brian, I used a Lenz LH100 Throttle through a LZV100 Base Station and all powered with a TR150 5A Transformer. I also used a Lenz Compact as a spare throttle (limited addressing with only 2 digits) and I also had a Roco Multimaus throttle as a spare which was great.

I still intend to use the Lenz system as I've now had the software updated by A&H Models. I think I'll use a spare WiFi expander I've got and see if I can link the Lenz to my WiFi in the house from the garage, as then I could keep it updated too. I've got a spare PC, so if that could be linked I could be on RMWeb as well as playing trains!!!! 

I also intend to acquire an old iPhone 3 or similar and use it as a wireless throttle.

I think that the 5A should be enough for the heaviest train, which would probably be the 4F and 4 coaches, I doubt that I'll need a booster, as there would only ever be 2 locos 'In Steam' at any one time.

Jinty ;)

PS: I'm going to get rid of the Compact sometime, as it's next to useless for 7mm!!!

Jinty,

Like you, I use Lenz gear, I have a set 100 & a set 200, though the latter is not used at present. I purchased the Lenz USB/LAN interface from A&H when I upgraded my LVZ & LH. It's wired into the household LAN and connected thereby to the WIFI.

I use the free Touchcab apps on my iphone and ipad, seems completely satisfactory. I did consider the paid app, but as my points & signals are not DCC controlled, I can live with the limited range of functions.

As I have the interface, I tried the decoder programming software that comes with it, but it does not seem to work with non-Lenz decoders, and I use Zimo or ESU. I downloaded the JMRI software and now use this for almost all my decoder programming, and to save backups of the programming to the small laptop that lives on the workbench. I do occasionally still use the LH100 for programming.

I also bought a second-hand Roco Multimaus & its control box/amplifier, the Multimaus just plugs into the Lenz x-bus and can work as any other Lenz handset.

It's funny how many of the other controller systems seem to have "foibles" - Paul Chetter (Pauliebanger) noted that the NCE cabs appear to permanently reprogram the ACC & DEC CVs rather than just temporarily amend them - again, not NMRA-compliant

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Hi Jinty.

Your 4F is really coning along at a rapid rate and looks really, really good. My 4F is quite happy on my 5ft 3in curve so your 6ft curve should be no problem at all.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing you start the next project. Tomorrow?..........

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Yes Nick ..... a post like this gives us an excuse for this picture 

If Kernow had made their Beattie Well Tank in 7mm I would!

At the moment I don't have the space, but as Taz said at Railex a couple of weeks ago "7mm has real presence, it makes me want to jack 4mm in', or words to that effect and I am similar really. For me it is the level of detail that you can see on a model.

Regards,

Nick.

Said you need a 37 Jinty....LOL

Now I've found you're thread I shall be watching with interest now. Is Torpantau now the Northern terminus of the Brecon Mountain railway? Keep meaning to visit as it's the last of the Great Little trains I haven't done.

All the best with the new layout.

Cheers

Marcus

Said you need a 37 Jinty....LOL

Now I've found you're thread I shall be watching with interest now. Is Torpantau now the Northern terminus of the Brecon Mountain railway? Keep meaning to visit as it's the last of the Great Little trains I haven't done.

All the best with the new layout.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yes I believe that Torpantau is part of the Brecon Mountain Railway. The climb up to Torpantau was rather fierce and known as "Severn Mile Bank", and that's one of the reasons why the trains were so short, If I've read correctly there were two harsh gradients between Merthyr and Talyllyn.

Thanks for the good wishes, I will also be keeping abreast of happenings on Peak Dale too!!!! And further back on this thread was mention of a class 37 near Talyllyn, but it was on track lifting duties!!!! But it gives the option of one!!!

Jinty ;)

Edited to add: I'm looking to venture down to Talyllyn, and attempt to study what may be left. So a trip to the Brecon Mountain Railway sounds good.

Edited by Jintyman

Ahhh the infernal Prodigy, Shhhhhh, did I really say that????

A Prodigy Advance will kick out around 3A, so is well capable for a small/medium O'gauge layout, providing you don't have like 10 sound locos all moving at the same time!!!!

I dislike them as they are not wholly NMRA compliant (I know it says they are on the website) and have hidden quirks, for instance, one of their little foibles is that if you have a DCC equipped loco and it's set to run on DC as well, once you use it with the Prodigy, it will automatically disable this function. That isn't supposed to happen with NMRA compliancy, also I've heard of CV19 (consisting) issues!!!

But if you're happy with it, don't let me put you off!!!!! lol  :jester:

In answer to your question Brian, I used a Lenz LH100 Throttle through a LZV100 Base Station and all powered with a TR150 5A Transformer. I also used a Lenz Compact as a spare throttle (limited addressing with only 2 digits) and I also had a Roco Multimaus throttle as a spare which was great.

I still intend to use the Lenz system as I've now had the software updated by A&H Models. I think I'll use a spare WiFi expander I've got and see if I can link the Lenz to my WiFi in the house from the garage, as then I could keep it updated too. I've got a spare PC, so if that could be linked I could be on RMWeb as well as playing trains!!!! 

I also intend to acquire an old iPhone 3 or similar and use it as a wireless throttle.

I think that the 5A should be enough for the heaviest train, which would probably be the 4F and 4 coaches, I doubt that I'll need a booster, as there would only ever be 2 locos 'In Steam' at any one time.

Jinty ;)

PS: I'm going to get rid of the Compact sometime, as it's next to useless for 7mm!!!

Hi Jinty, :)

I have heard the same about the Prodigy, better, for 'smaller scales', to go for the NCE Powercab instead.

I was lucky that my other half, years back, bought me a Digitrax set up, whilst not perfect, it aint far off, it is very versatile and it provides lots of features for the money.

I would say Zimo is the 'Rolls Royce'. I understand that ZTC have updated their controllers recently.

ATVB to one and all,

CME :)

• Like 1

Hi Jinty, :)

I have heard the same about the Prodigy, better, for 'smaller scales', to go for the NCE Powercab instead.

I was lucky that my other half, years back, bought me a Digitrax set up, whilst not perfect, it aint far off, it is very versatile and it provides lots of features for the money.

I would say Zimo is the 'Rolls Royce'. I understand that ZTC have updated their controllers recently.

ATVB to one and all,

CME :)

Sigh. Complexity can be the enemy of happiness. I like sound, being able to park locos anywhere and stay-alive is attractive until the joyous day when we have truly wireless control, and that's about it for me from DCC as my points and signals use traditional means of control. Sometimes it's enough to make me consider reversion to DC. Perhaps Version 23.4597 of whatever DCC system it is may help me to keep the DCC faith?

• RMweb Gold

The compact is ok for 7mm using ABC or portescap powered motors if you are not using steam. I upgraded to LH100/LH90s as I intend to have some sound equipped locos. If you do want to dispose of the compact I know someone who wanted another so give me the nod.

Don 

Hi Peter,

Jinty ;)

No worries Jinty,

Looks like you have plenty to keep you going, the JLTRT class 24 should be a good build. I have been tempted with building a JLTRT  kit over the years may be one day.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Marcus,

Yes I believe that Torpantau is part of the Brecon Mountain Railway. The climb up to Torpantau was rather fierce and known as "Severn Mile Bank", and that's one of the reasons why the trains were so short, If I've read correctly there were two harsh gradients between Merthyr and Talyllyn.

Thanks for the good wishes, I will also be keeping abreast of happenings on Peak Dale too!!!! And further back on this thread was mention of a class 37 near Talyllyn, but it was on track lifting duties!!!! But it gives the option of one!!!

Jinty ;)

Edited to add: I'm looking to venture down to Talyllyn, and attempt to study what may be left. So a trip to the Brecon Mountain Railway sounds good.

Ooh interesting a trip to the Brecons ..... if you need some company give me a shout, I have a flask and a butty box  :friends:

Craig