Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

The only time I got near to Guildex was after a holiday in North Wales, after driving around Telford for 45 mins trying to find a place to park (several convention types things on at once?) I said to my better half, Im off home, she was keen to keep looking yet I wasnt!

One day I hope to get there though, but it often clashes with holidays at the other end of the country!

ATVB

CME

Well the Stanier coach is just about done!!!

Although after loking at the pictures I can see some areas that still need attention. Handrails that are still red, etc. I have ordered some Preiser 1:43 seated figures for it, although I'm not going mad. I've also got some 'No Smoking' signs for the compartment next to the lavvy, and a couple of solebar transfer details such as the vacuum star, etc.

I have fitted the compartment partition windows with coverslips as well, although you won't be able to make them out until the 'No Smoking' sign is placed on it., or until there is reflection from a passenger or two.

I have still got to make up and attach the security grill work in the guards compartment windows, struggling to find a picture to go off.

Here are some pictures in the garden, nice and sunny but still not enough to penetrate to see the interior.

post-14906-0-84259700-1439381173_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-86224300-1439381189_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the compartment partition, the seating can be seen beyond the glass.

post-14906-0-93456900-1439381201_thumb.jpg

And a couple more views of the lavatory side

post-14906-0-51419300-1439381213_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-54872700-1439381226_thumb.jpg

Once the passengers have been dulled down a bit and fitted, the transfers fitted and the security grilles have been made up and fitted, the whole coach will undertake a gentle weathering, and have the lighting and decoder fitted.

Any comments welcome, especially if anyone has any pictures of the security grilles.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

Well the Stanier coach is just about done!!!

Although after loking at the pictures I can see some areas that still need attention. Handrails that are still red, etc. I have ordered some Preiser 1:43 seated figures for it, although I'm not going mad. I've also got some 'No Smoking' signs for the compartment next to the lavvy, and a couple of solebar transfer details such as the vacuum star, etc.

I have fitted the compartment partition windows with coverslips as well, although you won't be able to make them out until the 'No Smoking' sign is placed on it., or until there is reflection from a passenger or two.

I have still got to make up and attach the security grill work in the guards compartment windows, struggling to find a picture to go off.

Here are some pictures in the garden, nice and sunny but still not enough to penetrate to see the interior.

attachicon.gifTal 147.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 148.jpg

Here is a close up of the compartment partition, the seating can be seen beyond the glass.

attachicon.gifTal 149.jpg

And a couple more views of the lavatory side

attachicon.gifTal 150.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 151.jpg

Once the passengers have been dulled down a bit and fitted, the transfers fitted and the security grilles have been made up and fitted, the whole coach will undertake a gentle weathering, and have the lighting and decoder fitted.

Any comments welcome, especially if anyone has any pictures of the security grilles.

Jinty ;)

Very nice Jinty.

Great idea on the Preiser figures, I am gonna bin most of the 'seated' passengers to hand as the Preiser ones look great, they are also a little more modern than some brands (ideal for 1960s and 1970s).

Although superbly done, I think that it will look better when weathered, may I suggest, a mucky roof, ends and underframe and satin (cleanish) sides (with some muck around the window and door shuts).

Lovely work.

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME & Bri,

My next little challenge is to build a WR A38 (WR as they were built after Nationalisation) Autotrailer for a fellow RMWebber.

It's from the Orion stable, and a look over the parts and etches it seems a nice kit. Although I'm not sure how its been kept but the main etches were covered in a black substance that needed a fibre brush to get it off. But an hour or so and the etches were mostly sparkling and clean.

I started with the under frame, and a quick fold up of the side supports, and then the folding of the solebar, punching out all the rivets and attaching to the floor, with the buffer beams, gave me a nice datum to work from.

I was also intrigued with the way the ends fit to the body, there are male tags on the ends, and female tags on the body, fit them together and then solder!!! Had to give it a try, and after a bit of fettling, I managed to get the basic body shape together.

Here's a few pictures of progress.

post-14906-0-59808100-1439404086_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-50438000-1439404100_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-44772700-1439404113_thumb.jpg

I'll carry on with the under frame and get all the truss rods in place, and all the ancillaries in place.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Oooh Jinty .... that Stanier looks the dogs thingy me jigs.

And the A38A Autocoach looks good ... which lucky so & so got that ? The black substance will just be the brass tarnishing ..... looks like I owe you some wire wool for the fibre brush insert ...... ooops looks like I just give the game away of who's kit that is !!!!  :scratchhead:

I hope the owner of the kit is going to keep it as an original GWR A38A autocoach  :no:

Happy modelling Jinty, right off to do my packing now for a wedding we have this weekend.

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks CME & Bri,

My next little challenge is to build a WR A38 (WR as they were built after Nationalisation) Autotrailer for a fellow RMWebber.

It's from the Orion stable, and a look over the parts and etches it seems a nice kit. Although I'm not sure how its been kept but the main etches were covered in a black substance that needed a fibre brush to get it off. But an hour or so and the etches were mostly sparkling and clean.

I started with the under frame, and a quick fold up of the side supports, and then the folding of the solebar, punching out all the rivets and attaching to the floor, with the buffer beams, gave me a nice datum to work from.

I was also intrigued with the way the ends fit to the body, there are male tags on the ends, and female tags on the body, fit them together and then solder!!! Had to give it a try, and after a bit of fettling, I managed to get the basic body shape together.

Here's a few pictures of progress.

attachicon.gifTal 152.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 153.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 154.jpg

I'll carry on with the under frame and get all the truss rods in place, and all the ancillaries in place.

Jinty ;)

Like the look of the autocoach, it looks a superb kit and captures the shape well.  There's a nice pic or 2 of a finished one here on WT.

JF

A little bit more done on the Autocoach. All of my attention was spent on the underframe details. The Queen posts, the truss rods, then the upper and lower crossmembers. Then the vee hangers and vac cylinders. I diverged from the instructions a bit here as I prefer to use 2mm copper tube for the rod, with 1mm nickel silver wire through the middle. this allows it to remain inline with the vee hanger holes with the 1mm wire, and it holds the cranks and arms firmly too. The vac cylinders haven't even been fixed into place yet, just being held in place by the vac cylinder cradle and the actuator crank arm. I've represented the wire control rods to each bogie but shortened them and attached them to the underneath of the floor. Next up was the fold down steps, each side. these were folded up and the steps and backboards soldered on. Then I attached them to the back of the solebar, and then firmed them up with the top step that fits into the solebar as well. The backboard for the top step sits at an angle when the steps are retracted, so this aided the solidity of the step frame itself.

Here are a few pictures of progress. I apologise for the messy scene, but I just haven't had time to attack the thing with a file and fibre brush yet as we have visitors!!! All it's had is a quick wash in soapy water.

post-14906-0-06283400-1439491704_thumb.jpg

One side

post-14906-0-36045000-1439491714_thumb.jpg

And the other

post-14906-0-43082100-1439491726_thumb.jpg

Next up is the complicated control gear and frames that sit at each end. Also the partitions for the separate areas of the coach. But that can wait for all of the underframe to be finished.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Thank you Coachman and Brian,

It was a pleasure to meet you today as well Coachman.

As for the Stanier coach, I have taken delivery of the four individuals that will populate it.

From left to right:

1) Myffanwy Jones, Wife, Mother to eight and Grandmother to sixteen. Never a sterner woman was beheld. She drives fear into Brecon Station Master Dylan Huw, with a single glare!!!

2) Dylwyn Thomas, snazzy dresser, and a bit of a ladies man. Off to Brecon to tempt Gladys in the Post Office.

3) Ioan Brynmor Johnson, a meek man from Merthyr, who unfortunately has spent the entire trip from Hereford in the same compartment as the above mentioned Mrs Jones.

4) Angharad Jones (No relation to Myffanwy, can't you tell?), on her way to see her fiancée in Brecon (Lucky chap).

post-14906-0-57835900-1440006633_thumb.jpg

So on to the A38 Autocoach. Many an hour spent today with cleaning up and opening out the lost wax brass castings for the buffers. but once soldered in place, made it all worth while. The end steps were fitted and I've ised some 1mm nickel silver as support behind the full length of the drop.

Then the work really began, with the Auto gear assemblies. All in lost wax brass and nice castings too, it went together ok once I worked it all out. The vac and steam pipes were also fitted as they sit in between the buffer beam and the auto gear linkages.

Here is the coach sitting on its bogies, yes I know they're B4 bogies, and I can tell you that it is accurate too!!!! And it's going to be in chocolate and cream as well!!

post-14906-0-65809700-1440006650_thumb.jpg

A little close up of the autogear and buffer beam.....

post-14906-0-33839000-1440006663_thumb.jpg

I'll get on with the non driving end tomorrow.

comments always welcome, but careful as I do know Mrs Myffanwy Jones.

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

Hi Jinty. Having made such a superb job of the Stanier coach it looks as though you will surpass it with the autocoach. It is really coming along fine and I for one am looking forward to seeing photos of the completed model fully painted etc.

Nice work Jinty.

Rod

Hi Jinty. Having made such a superb job of the Stanier coach it looks as though you will surpass it with the autocoach. It is really coming along fine and I for one am looking forward to seeing photos of the completed model fully painted etc.

Nice work Jinty.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thank you for your kind words. I will be completing the coach, but not painting it. The owner will be finishing it in a Choc/Cream livery.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty, the figures are excellent ..... right onto that Auto coach, it looks absolutely superb ..... but why the B4's ? I hope the owner is not planning on doing something "non GWR'ish" with it ? Shame on him if he is  :nono: 

Happy modelling
Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

That auto coach looks the biz ,the detail always amazes me

That Angharad Jones looks a sort ,have you got her number lol

Brian

Hi Jinty, the figures are excellent ..... right onto that Auto coach, it looks absolutely superb ..... but why the B4's ? I hope the owner is not planning on doing something "non GWR'ish" with it ? Shame on him if he is

Happy modelling

Craig

Ooooh you tease.............. It's going to be Choc & Cream, and have a GWR crest, what more do you want?

That Angharad Jones looks a sort ,have you got her number lol

Brian

Mrs Jones blocked the corridor so I was too late, and they were still giving Mr Johnson oxygen an hour ago!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty, the figures are excellent ..... right onto that Auto coach, it looks absolutely superb ..... but why the B4's ? I hope the owner is not planning on doing something "non GWR'ish" with it ? Shame on him if he is

Happy modelling

Craig

Didn't the BR Research chaps at Derby have an autocoach which ended up on B4 bogies...?

Cracking work as always Mr Jinty!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Didn't the BR Research chaps at Derby have an autocoach which ended up on B4 bogies...?

Cheers,

Andrew

aaah ..... well worked out Andrew, you could possibly be correct there ;)

Craig

I think the one at the South Devon nearing completion is riding on

B4's

Cheers,

Andrew

They are one of the same , Hawksworth Auto trailer,ex ADB150375,nee W233.

http://www.auto169.co.uk/w233w.htm

Brian.