Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

The image of the yellow tanks could easily pass for a picture of the real thing, such is the quality of modelling not to mention observation. I particularly like the tailing off of the ballast to show slightly more of the end of each sleeper. It has made made me think about my own ballasting which in contrast is rather wanting.

Thanks Coachman,

The tanks are actually the Lionheart models which I purchased already weathered, so I can't take credit for that one.

The sleepers were shown at the ends, partly by accident and partly deliberate, I saw that I'd brushed the ballast a bit low, but then also saw some examples on sidings, etc that were just like that, so left as is.

There is a picture of Llandudno Junction sidings (Next to the old Ffyfes warehouse) with absolutely no ballast whatsoever, just sleepers sat on top of some sort of hard standing in my North Wales Pictorial History book!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

Thanks, yes she'll be 9751 in BR Black, late crest in early 60's guise with a fair bit of weathering on her!!!!!

The blue is somewhat reminiscent of BR Chromatic Blue to my old eyes ;)

Jinty ;)

Yes you are right about that blue there is a preserved class 31 going round in that liv at the moment. 

I think anything 60's is going to have to have a fair bit of crud on it, should look good when it's done. 

Did you weather the 4f yet?

Cheers Peter.

Yes you are right about that blue there is a preserved class 31 going round in that liv at the moment. 

I think anything 60's is going to have to have a fair bit of crud on it, should look good when it's done. 

Did you weather the 4f yet?

Cheers Peter.

No the 4F hasn't been touched yet.

I'm a bit of a bu##ar for having too many things on the go, but I actually work better for it. Once I come across a problem or some tedium, I will flit to another job, then come back to it at a later date.

Having a bit of a flurry with tree making and bushes to come soon as well

Great work Jinty. I too like the blue livery so perhaps you should consider an experimental livery for the tank after all the GWR King looked great in blue.

Only joking.

Rod

Thank you Rod, but a blue Pannier lol, sacrelige!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Well after servicing the lawn mower and fitting brake pads to my car this morning, all I can say is: "Sorry guys, here's another video...................."

This time though it's not the facing crossover, it's the platform length to give the SWD GWR Group 1 sound a try.

As for the chuff settings of CV57 and CV58, I am nearly there with this, just a small adjustment now and it should be ok. Currently they're set on 85, 25 respectively.

The video is 5 mins long, and please forgive a couple of occasions of dirty track and camera shake as my phone is awkward to hold for a long period. I also left the GWR 'Fart' button engaged at one point, till I realised. I think that the volume is ok out of the 23mm round speaker, I can still take it higher but didn't want to make it tinny!!!!

I'll just have to learn to drive it properly now.

I need to get on with finishing the body of this one now, so it can be pressed into service with the B-Set when they arrive.

Comments again welcomed

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

I'm back in circulation again and catching up on things - including your thread.  Thought I'd just comment that the "couple of occasions of dirty track" are exactly what's happening to my Coal Tank (which you've seen on my thread).  Ae you sure it's dirty track as I assume you're picking up off 6 wheels and I'd have thought at least one wheel on each side would pick up?   Have you had it happen since?

Rod

Hi Jinty.

I'm back in circulation again and catching up on things - including your thread.  Thought I'd just comment that the "couple of occasions of dirty track" are exactly what's happening to my Coal Tank (which you've seen on my thread).  Ae you sure it's dirty track as I assume you're picking up off 6 wheels and I'd have thought at least one wheel on each side would pick up?   Have you had it happen since?

Rod

Hi Rod,

I gave the track a clean after the video, and spent about a half hour playing with the Pannier up and down, which it did admirably with no 'Dirty track' occurrences or stuttering.

My method of cleaning track is a bit different to most, but I was shown it after a Peco rubber was used and the amount of 'extra' dirt that was removed was astounding.

Firstly I use a piece of 7mm wooden sleepering, and a rub a corner (the length across the two rails) along the surface of the track (I've used balsa and larger pieces of softwood before as well), I then get a clean rag, soaked in IPA and then wipe across the track, then once the remaining IPA has evaporated, I use the edge of a sleeper again, and I still get a bit more off.

It's a bit long winded, but it seems to work well, and cleaning sessions are quite far apart.

Jinty ;)

PS: It is picking up off 6 wheels, and the front two axles are sprung as well, so it should have good contact. The track hadn't been cleaned for a good while when I took the video, I should of cleaned it first really!!!!!

Edited by Jintyman

Up until only recently I assumed DCC was ultra sensitive to spots of muck on the rails. I borrowed a 5amp Lenz transformer but it was altering the CV of the LZV100 to up the voltage output that finally did the trick. In the meantime i have also been fitting keep alives in a few of the locos as an insurance. Locos rarely stall outside on track exposed to the elements, but it is false economy not to clean it beforehand because dirty rails only contaminate wheels and track is far easier to clean! I use a plain 'ol Peco track rubber.

• Like 1

Hi Rod,

I gave the track a clean after the video, and spent about a half hour playing with the Pannier up and down, which it did admirably with no 'Dirty track' occurrences or stuttering.

My method of cleaning track is a bit different to most, but I was shown it after a Peco rubber was used and the amount of 'extra' dirt that was removed was astounding.

Firstly I use a piece of 7mm wooden sleepering, and a rub a corner (the length across the two rails) along the surface of the track (I've used balsa and larger pieces of softwood before as well), I then get a clean rag, soaked in IPA and then wipe across the track, then once the remaining IPA has evaporated, I use the edge of a sleeper again, and I still get a bit more off.

It's a bit long winded, but it seems to work well, and cleaning sessions are quite far apart.

Jinty ;)

PS: It is picking up off 6 wheels, and the front two axles are sprung as well, so it should have good contact. The track hadn't been cleaned for a good while when I took the video, I should of cleaned it first really!!!!!

Hi Jinty.

Thanks for that.  I'm using a large cleaning block which, I must admit, does leave bits on the track but as they're big enough to see, they can be brushed off.  The question is, I suppose, how many smaller, almost invisible, bits are left on?  The track looks clean but I'll alter my method and see if that helps.  I'll come back and report.

Rod

Hi Jinty.

Further to my last.  I found a spray can of IPA (Maplins) so gave the track your treatment - block of wood, IPA, block of wood.  I couldn't believe how much muck came off!!!  And the loco ran perfectly at very low speeds.  So, thanks for the advice.

Now, of course, I've got the rest of a pretty large layout to clean!!  And I should do the wheels of locos and stock, too, I suppose.  Just another little job to do!!!

The loco did stop once or twice but that was due to short pieces of track moving in the fishplates and breaking contact.**  Some soldering to do there - another job to add to the list!!

Rod

**    I didn't put a feed wire onto every short piece of track and all my other stock bridges the short pieces.  Not the coal Tank though, bless it!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 2

Think I'll be getting some ipa spray and using your technique on my track well once I've layer some track!!! Haha

Brian

I just use a cotton bud soaked in alcohol (isopropanol). When the bud gets dirty you just swap ends, when the new end gets dirty you chuck it and grab another . . . with the bud it is easy to follow the running rail and miss the check and wing rails.

John

Edited by John R Smith

IPA = iso-propyl alcohol = isopropanol.

Alternatively, IPA = India Pale Ale, which is brewed specifically to be stored for the sea voyage (and subsequent land transport) to Empire-days India. I haven't found this to be good for cleaning anything, but I'm pretty sure it tastes better than the other stuff!

Best

Simon

• Like 3

A modelling day was booked today, but once I found that my neighbors tree had decided to attack the felt roof of my garage, I had to get the ladders out and spent about 4 hours lopping and cleaning up. Saved before any permanent damage!

Over this last couple of days I've been adding more trees and some ground cover to the photo plank.

I apologise for the gratuitous photos of the plank, but it's the only way I can glean opinions as to how its looking from others perspective.

Anyway, here are a few pictures......................

post-14906-0-26737800-1471198974_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-28249600-1471198983_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-14850700-1471198992_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-35288800-1471198999_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-95522000-1471199005_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-65297500-1471199012_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-91690300-1471199017_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-83832600-1471199023_thumb.jpg

Same vans again, but only there for perspective.

Comments gratefully recieved, and I hope it's got somewhat away from the 'Parks & Garden' look it had before.

Jinty ;)

• Like 18

It all looks lovely Jinty, thought you didn't like scenics?? :O

Cheers

Hi Paul,

It's not that I don't like them, I just don't know how to go about them properly. But with the excellent contributors on here, it becomes more clear and it gives me the impetus to get on with a bit and experiment a bit. 

I've been quite pleased with what I've done, but I think it could be better in some areas. Trees were one of my worries, but after looking at Marcus's trees done the same way, I feel more comfortable with them now. I just need to find some slightly larger sea moss now (about 9 - 12" if that's possible).

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Tell yer wot, yer a clever beggar when it comes to modelling! Those trees and bushes look so realistic and so what I am about to say is not intended to be a downer. I suspect the track gangs that roamed the rails in steam days would have cut down the bushes close to the track, in fact I remember scorched-earth embankments right up to the railway fence when burning was a policy. Maybe things were different out on country lines on the Cambrian?

Edited by coachmann