Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Yes PAD's 57xx is a masterpiece!!!

Good luck with yours, they are excellent kits, I've done their 4F, and I have another 2 x 57xx's, a 2251, a Ex L&Y 3F Class 27 and a Class 25 diesel, and they all are excellently thought out. It's just getting the time to build them (could do with a month off really!!!)

Jinty ;)

That's called retirement David.

That's called retirement David.

That'll be nice when it eventually comes.

Well I'm awaiting a couple of bits that were missing from the Pannier kit, namely the vacuum cylinder and a couple of steps. Laurie was very helpful as usual.

So in the meantime, this bit of brass fell out of its box and onto the workbench, so i decided to proceed with it as it shouldn't take long (well it'd be rude not to!!), and a wagon acts as a bit of light relief when building an engine.

It's an M&M Bogie Bolster wagon. The long folds would be difficult I think without some decent folding bars, but the main body folds together quite nicely.

post-14906-0-22175500-1464126755_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-83015500-1464126759_thumb.jpg

I'll probably crack on with it again tomorrow.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

I quite like the M&M kits. They make good affordable basic wagons from a commendably small amount of parts. Similar to PRMRP ones and made from quite thick brass too so they end up fairly robust. The only downsides are fairly basic/generic details on some (suits me as they usually become invisible in a rake! :jester: ) and I find on some, the brake gear is sometimes a bit er..vague!,

They do enable a rake of wagons to be built fairly quickly!!

Jon F

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 1

Hi Jinty,

The Mineral wagon does look good. I nearly bought a Catfish kit a few years ago from M&M they don't look to bad and way cheaper than a Hejan one.

Keep up the great work Mate.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Jinty,

The Mineral wagon does look good. I nearly bought a Catfish kit a few years ago from M&M they don't look to bad and way cheaper than a Hejan one.

Keep up the great work Mate.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes the M&M kits are quite good, it doesn't take long to put one together, and a good few can be built quite quickly.

I agree with Jon above that they do lack a little in the finer details, but this can be  masked quite well with weathering and viewing distance, although the 16t mineral stands up to closer inspection I think.

If you fancy a 7mm Catfish, then you need to have a look at the MMP version. I think Mr Grumpy of this parish built one not long ago. Fabulous kits!!!

I've done a bit more on the Bogie Bolster  this morning, bogies built, all the underfloor detail has been fettled and cleaned ready for assembly, but spent the afternoon in the hospital for tests and CT scan, so having an evening of putting feet up.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Well seeing as I was supposed to have a day off today, I ended up working, and working again tomorrow!!

I got home around 4, had something to eat, then wandered off to the garage to see what I could get up to.

I had a couple of hours on the Bogie Bolster and made some progress. the inner solebars and the underframe was pretty much finished off, apart from the brake linkages, which are next on the list.

Here is a photo of progress to date................

post-14906-0-32623200-1464547286_thumb.jpg

I have a 'Toad' brakevan to weather which I will probably start tomorrow. I had intended to start it today, but with working, time went too quickly.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Well seeing as I was supposed to have a day off today, I ended up working, and working again tomorrow!! .................. does that not equal more modelling funds though ?  :friends:

It is absolutely nuts with tourist this end, not complaining though it's been a few years since the main holiday week and good weather have got in sync  :imsohappy:  I think I will just be on "work, eat, sleep repeat" this week.

PS nice work on the bogie bolster Jints

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Today I've started on the Toad brakevan for weathering, for a member on here.

Thought I might show how I go about the process.

There are many ways to skin a cat, this is mine!

First off I added some painting detail to the inside of the veranda, the wooden floor, the brake standard and the wooden shelf.

post-14906-0-14723400-1464642350_thumb.jpg

I then went around the whole body picking out the parts that I want to show as rusty or just rust stained with enamel rusty coloured paint. Only a gentle application is needed in pretty much most of the areas where rust is.

I then followed this with the application of weathering liquids, in particular, 'Mud Brown' and 'Rusty Red'. The mud brown was applied as downward streaks and gathered in the edges, grooves and corners. I prefer the mud brown to the black smoke liquid as it isn't as dark, and allows some of the original colour to show through.

I then used some rusty red, concentrating on the areas that I'd previously daubed enamel paint onto, flowing the red stain downwards as gravity would pull the flow of rusty staining.

This is one side of the van, it's taken a good couple of hours of applying stain and then using cotton buds to remove it.

post-14906-0-02425800-1464642358_thumb.jpg

Once I've been around the whole of the van like this, I will then start with weathering powders. I tend to use the MIG powders, as they adhere quite well, and are easy to manipulate.

Once I've used the powders, I will then proceed with the airbrush, frame dirt and matt black, worked into the shapes and underframe to tone it all down.

I will continue tomorrow evening, hopefully.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jinty,

Very impressed.  I really must have a got at this weathering lark, its just gaining the knowledge to buck up the courage!  That 'Toad' really does look superb tho, well done.

Rich

Hi Jinty,

You mentioned " Mud Brown and Rusty Red " can you tell me who makes these colours, I haven't heard of them before.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

They are from a company called 'MODELMATES', usually about £5 ish a bottle, but they go a long way.

They are alcohol based, and if they tend to stain the paintwork too much, I use IPA to remove the excess staining.

Jinty ;)

And further on with the Toad brakevan.

After some liberal application of MIG powders and then the airbrush, the van is starting to look somewhat finished. All that's really left to do now is to mark the handrails as they were used to climb up, and to dust some powders inside the veranda.

Here are a few pictures, taken in our lovely Welsh sunshine................

post-14906-0-47063200-1464775290_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-14958900-1464775296_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-04391100-1464775301_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-61257700-1464775306_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-87718700-1464775313_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-35272900-1464775319_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the gratuitous pictures of a single item.

Back onto the bogie bolster today and a Parkside Ex-LMS open wagon too.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Great job David that looks superb. Can you send it down on the next train to Pontypool road via Gaer junction.

Certainly will Steve, glad you like it.

As I mentioned, I'll just get the inside of the veranda dusted over and sealed and let it all dry out properly and It'll be on its way.

Jinty ;)

PS:  It's sitting in Talyllyn Junction's platform 2 at the moment, so it's not far off!!!

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Fantastic work on the Toad Jints ............................. ps sssshhhhh about the Welsh sunshine, there is enough people here as it is, the place is bursting at the seams with tourist, we can't possibly accommodate anymore this week ;-)

Craig.

Looks fantastic Jinty wish I could get the hang of these weathering liquids or washes, it's something I really struggle with.

Keep up the great work :)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the compliment

There is nothing secret about them, they are alcohol based and you can remove their effects with IPA. Once applied I use a cotton bud, dipped in water to rub most of it off.

On the Modelmates website there are some tutorials on how to use their products (Or there was).

I'm sure they'd be a benefit to someone such as yourself with your weathering skills.

Jinty

The van looks great.  I have a question.

You have Pontypool Road as the home depot of this toad.  I have also seen this on rtr models.  I would have thought that a different depot would supply brake vans to the trains working through Tallylyn such as Ebbw Junction, Neath or Hereford.  Of course if it was worked to Hereford from Pontypool it could of course have then be used for a working over the Hereford & Hay line to Three Cocks and then on towards Brecon.  

I'm not knowledgeable about this but would be keen to know more as I have an interest in the Taff Vale Extension running west from Pontypool.

regards 

The van looks great. I have a question.

You have Pontypool Road as the home depot of this toad. I have also seen this on rtr models. I would have thought that a different depot would supply brake vans to the trains working through Tallylyn such as Ebbw Junction, Neath or Hereford. Of course if it was worked to Hereford from Pontypool it could of course have then be used for a working over the Hereford & Hay line to Three Cocks and then on towards Brecon.

I'm not knowledgeable about this but would be keen to know more as I have an interest in the Taff Vale Extension running west from Pontypool.

regards

Hi there,

Yes you are quite right in noticing that the 'Toad' brakevan has the 'Pontypool Rd' transfer in its side.

The brakevan is not for Talyllyn Junction, I have only weathered the van for Steve Fay who has a couple of layouts underway which I'm sure will have passing traffic from that particular depot.

Talyllyn has its own 'Toad' which has been marked 'Newport'.

Thank you for the compliment.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1