Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Guest Isambarduk

"  saying that it is raining outside at the moment :drag:"

Ditto in Mid Wales :-(  but it was perfect over the weekend :-)    David

I've just been through a dry spell here in West Wales, where I got my field fully cut for the first time in the almost six years I've been here, and raked up all the grass and weeds. Of course dry spell doesn't mean there isn't the odd shower overnight. Yesterday I managed to mow nearly all the grass around the house. And today the rain is back, so it's all growing again! I think any garden railway I built would soon disappear into the undergrowth! It was never like this when I lived in Berkshire, or even in West Somerset!

All this talk about rain p....s me off!! On Saturday we were promised rain but in this part of the world (Torbay) we had a lovely day on Saturday and today has also been sunny although windy. What better excuse do you need to get on with some modelling if it is pouring down outside. After all you cannot cut the lawn when it is very wet, can you?

Nice work with the next point Jinty . A thought occurs to me however that using fine scale standards the gap at the frog may, and I say may, cause the wheels to drop. You may have to put in a filler for the flanges to ride on in order to obtain really smooth running. Unless of coused you tighten up the gauge to 31.5mm through that bit. I would be interested in how you intend to overcome this.

Keep up the good work and a big "thank you" for keeping your layout on this thread.

Rod

Nice work with the next point Jinty . A thought occurs to me however that using fine scale standards the gap at the frog may, and I say may, cause the wheels to drop. You may have to put in a filler for the flanges to ride on in order to obtain really smooth running. Unless of coused you tighten up the gauge to 31.5mm through that bit. I would be interested in how you intend to overcome this.

Rod

Hi Rod,

If you look at Jinty's last photo you will see he is using some of Deb's 31.5mm gauges.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

All this talk about rain p....s me off!! On Saturday we were promised rain but in this part of the world (Torbay) we had a lovely day on Saturday and today has also been sunny although windy. What better excuse do you need to get on with some modelling if it is pouring down outside. After all you cannot cut the lawn when it is very wet, can you?

Keep up the good work and a big "thank you" for keeping your layout on this thread.

Rod

Hi Rod,

As Martyn kindly pointed out, my whole layout is built to O-MF standards with 1.5mm flangeways. already I'm seeing improvement is running with standard Slaters and Roxey wheels.

Thank you also for your kind comments, and yes, what finer way to spend a day when it's raining outside, modelling. Unfortunately I've been in work all day, rather bored, but I've come home to finish the turnout with the second switch rail, two stretcher bars and both a frog wire and two link wires from the stock rails to the relevant switch rails for electrical continuity.

Here is a view from the heel of the point (the bit that will be in between the platforms).

post-14906-0-04436200-1442260160_thumb.jpg

And here I have to thank Martyn (3-Link) for pointing me in the direction of the JLTRT GWR stretcher bars. They work a treat!!!!

post-14906-0-21676100-1442260174_thumb.jpg

And here is a terribly focussed and under exposed picture of where the turnout will finally rest.

post-14906-0-15087800-1442260186_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, all that's left to do is to lay some cork (4mm floor tiles) and then start with the 60' track sections through the station to the junction complex.

I might have something running in a few days................

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Here is a short video I've done to try and show the transition across a O-MF turnout with firstly a Stanier coach with Roxey wheels.

Then after that is a Parkside van with Slaters wheels.

There is very little drop, and the nose of the vee has been chamfered to assist in the traversing.

The gap between the switch rail to the nose of the vee (the drop point) is exactly 2cm.

I hope this clarifies things

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 6

Thanks for posting the vid Jinty,

It`s nice to see the fidelity and running qualities of 31.5mm,and your superb track work.

I have to admit that i`m a bit of sucker for nice track work,especially as because i`ve been building American O to Proto 48 standards for a few years now.(same as S7,but to the correct track gauge) And so i thought that when i came back to British O i`d just be returning to the same old choices.But after seeing your track builds and other people building to 31.5mm, it`s shown me that this is definitely the way to go!.

But admittedly my first planned little venture will be with Peco track,but this is only so i can get myself re-acquainted with the British side of things again!...... :secret: 

Keep up the excellent work,

Brian.

Thanks for posting the vid Jinty,

It`s nice to see the fidelity and running qualities of 31.5mm,and your superb track work.

I have to admit that i`m a bit of sucker for nice track work,especially as because i`ve been building American O to Proto 48 standards for a few years now.(same as S7,but to the correct track gauge) And so i thought that when i came back to British O i`d just be returning to the same old choices.But after seeing your track builds and other people building to 31.5mm, it`s shown me that this is definitely the way to go!.

But admittedly my first planned little venture will be with Peco track,but this is only so i can get myself re-acquainted with the British side of things again!...... :secret: 

Keep up the excellent work,

Brian.

Thank you Brian, I will be getting a bit of track down either side of the turnout, and once I've done so, I will conduct the test again whilst pushing the stock, rather than having my hand on top of it. My hand was only there to stop disappearing stock!!!!

Hello Jinty, how is the new job going ? pssst ... do they have a big desk in work where you could possibly build a kit, or some point work during the quiet "rainy" periods ?

Craig.

The job's great, taking a bit of adjustment, but far more relaxed than the previous one!!

I do have a desk, but it's too full of communication stuff and computer thingamies to get a decent work space going!!!! But I'm enjoying the 5 day week, 9 - 5 thing a lot.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Rod

Great work Jinty!

Rod, some of us want to lay track in the garden - before it gets too cold and wet - and rain is hampering us lots LOL!

Cant lay any indoor track until we are sure of the datum points coming in from outside.

Kindest to all.

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

Ha er yer, I'm not commenting anymore, my spades all worn out!! :(

Cheers, Paul

Think you need to see a doctor mate :)

Hat ,coat ,I'm off

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Not much done this evening, had a film to watch.

Beforehand I spent about an hour in the garage and laid the cork for the station curve. I also had to swing the board with the pointwork on around a few degrees to give the correct orientation for the platform lines.

post-14906-0-65135500-1442353140_thumb.jpg

I've got a small triangle of ply to fill the gap left, and then I can lay the cork across to the turnouts. Who knows, I may even get some track down soon.............

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Lovely work Jinty!

Time off for good behaviour (ie to watch a film)? LOL!

I would like to ask the following, as you have a lot of expertise in the field;-

Not sure if I have asked before - sorry if I have - why do you prefer cork over foam as an underlay? I have always used cork in the smaller scales, yet foam has better sound deadening effects - some interesting articles in MRJ - but isnt as robust and requires careful ballasting with eg Copydex or other adhesives that offer flexibility (or else the whole lot gets glued solid and negates the use of the foam).

I hate the sound of stock rumbling over baseboards - so a good underlay will be key, yet with the additional weight of 7mm stock, especially Heljan diesels, I am at a loss as to which will be the best method to use. I would be happier to use - and solder close to - cork as I know what it does and how it reacts, yet foam has its benefits which also seem to appeal...

Thanks in anticipation,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Not much done this evening, had a film to watch.

Beforehand I spent about an hour in the garage and laid the cork for the station curve. I also had to swing the board with the pointwork on around a few degrees to give the correct orientation for the platform lines.

attachicon.gifTal 194.jpg

I've got a small triangle of ply to fill the gap left, and then I can lay the cork across to the turnouts. Who knows, I may even get some track down soon.............

Jinty ;)

Ooh Jinty very good, I know where there will be a test track soon to run some dirty blue stuff on  :friends:

Happy modelling

Craig.

Lovely work Jinty!

Time off for good behaviour (ie to watch a film)? LOL!

I would like to ask the following, as you have a lot of expertise in the field;-

Not sure if I have asked before - sorry if I have - why do you prefer cork over foam as an underlay? I have always used cork in the smaller scales, yet foam has better sound deadening effects - some interesting articles in MRJ - but isnt as robust and requires careful ballasting with eg Copydex or other adhesives that offer flexibility (or else the whole lot gets glued solid and negates the use of the foam).

I hate the sound of stock rumbling over baseboards - so a good underlay will be key, yet with the additional weight of 7mm stock, especially Heljan diesels, I am at a loss as to which will be the best method to use. I would be happier to use - and solder close to - cork as I know what it does and how it reacts, yet foam has its benefits which also seem to appeal...

Thanks in anticipation,

CME

Hi CME,

Expertise????? I don't think so, this is my first ever foray into the senior scale, but it's a path that I'm liking very much  :imsohappy:

In answer to your question, well I actually can't help with which is the best, because I have a different viewpoint to yours, not that yours is wrong, just that it's a matter of choice.

I have no preference for cork from an insulation point of view, I use the cork for elevation only. As far as noise is concerned, It's something I'd prefer to have, I'm building with 60' track panels and thus should be able to appreciate the clickety-clack as well as the sound decoders doing their work. The railways were a dirty, noisy and smelly place, I can't do much about the smell, but I can enjoy the other two elements in model form.

I also don't mind the rumbling over the baseboards either, trains did rumble along, a heavy freight through a station made a din, and the sound of metal wheels on metal track through wooden sleepers, should echo to a certain extent similar to the real thing.

Although I will concede that in some cases it can be a little overpowering, especially if the baseboard framework creates a large hollow, drum like structure, that amplifies the sound, but this can be avoided.

Insulation is a choice some modellers make, but for me, I don't mind the noise one bit.

Ooh Jinty very good, I know where there will be a test track soon to run some dirty blue stuff on  :friends:

Happy modelling

Craig.

Yes, I should be able to offer at least a dozen foot of running very soon, unfortunately C&L have taken to using Hermes, and their delivery driver can't follow simple instructions!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Oooh Mr Jinty, I have won this model off ebay last week, I did bid up to £852.52 but I got it for £798.96, which included free postage from Romania, any chance I can test it on your trackwork just to make sure it runs ok, if not I will have to contact Paypal and see if I have buyers protection ??? Will those wheels fit through your check rails ok on the pointwork ?  :scratchhead:

post-8721-0-45125300-1442427495.jpg

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

BARGAIN!!!!!

Yes the wheels will fit, I've got an angle grinder here.

I'm surprised you haven't painted it blue and put indecisive arrows on the tender????

Jinty ;)

I am just painting on some yellow now as I type, I am doing the front of the round tube thing & the back end of the square trailer box thing that it tugs along, then I will put some air horns on top of the roof.

I might go large logo blue on it, what do you think ? :picknose:

Craig.