Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Before I set about continuing the lining on the Stanier Brake, I had the weathering bits and bobs out for something else, so I thought I'd have a little blast with the Toad.

Just a brief use of powders, liquids and the airbrush, have made a good start on it. There are some bits that need some further work, but it's starting to look somewhat better after accident with the Humbrol varnish!!!

After weathering, the other advantage of real glass becomes apparent, you just need a cotton bud dipped in thinners and wipe over the glass like someone's cleaned it.  :imsohappy:

post-14906-0-92426500-1438265637_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-06298200-1438265669_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-18582700-1438265708_thumb.jpg

Jim McGowan kindly gives you a 7mm Whitemetal Guard figure for the brakevan, currently going through the paintshop, he should emerge looking like a typical 60's individual I hope. Although my painting of humans is not up to the class of some around these parts.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

Before I set about continuing the lining on the Stanier Brake, I had the weathering bits and bobs out for something else, so I thought I'd have a little blast with the Toad.

Just a brief use of powders, liquids and the airbrush, have made a good start on it. There are some bits that need some further work, but it's starting to look somewhat better after accident with the Humbrol varnish!!!

After weathering, the other advantage of real glass becomes apparent, you just need a cotton bud dipped in thinners and wipe over the glass like someone's cleaned it.  :imsohappy:

attachicon.gifTal 141.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 142.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 143.jpg

Jim McGowan kindly gives you a 7mm Whitemetal Guard figure for the brakevan, currently going through the paintshop, he should emerge looking like a typical 60's individual I hope. Although my painting of humans is not up to the class of some around these parts.

Jinty ;)

Nice job Jinty.

attachicon.gifTal 141.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 142.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 143.jpg

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

How did the lamp wiring turn out in terms of routing it and wiring up of the components - and chance of some more close up photos?

As you have done it and you are a great modeller, I dont see the point in me trying to reinvent the wheel with my efforts LOL!

Thanks in haste,

CME

Nice job Jinty.

Thank you.

Hi Jinty,

How did the lamp wiring turn out in terms of routing it and wiring up of the components - and chance of some more close up photos?

As you have done it and you are a great modeller, I dont see the point in me trying to reinvent the wheel with my efforts LOL!

Thanks in haste,

CME

Thanks CME,

I've only fitted the lamp at one end, and the wires were easily routed under the veranda to what will be a central circuit board under the floor of the main cabin. this will be made up of the wiring in form the three lights (two red lamps and an interior light) and the decoder mounted on as well. I've also got to arrange the pick-ups yet too.

Once I get some more fine wire from SWD (Once they're back off holiday), I will make up the other lamp and then the other lighting. Then I'll post up some photos showing the way it is put together for you.

Hi Jinty,

I notice that you have ballasted a small section of track, who's ballast have you decided on, looks like Woodland scenic ( medium ) grey to me ?

ATB,

Martyn.

Nearly spot on Martyn, Woodland Scenics Medium Grey and Grey Blend mixed 50/50.

I'm using this piece as a test bed for ballast and the like. Also somewhere to take photos.

I've got some Woodland medium Buff as well to try and mix in, I'll post up results when I get to it.

Jinty ;)

The Stanier brake is looking really good. Can you tell me how you did the lining and what did you use. I have to do this on my BG and any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the compliment.

The lining is from Fox Transfers, item number FRH7212 yellow/black/yellow lining. Waterslide, and I cut it into smaller chunks, using the door gaps as join lines. The top lining is just yellow above black, so I just cut the yellow off one side of the normal lining.

It takes a bit of time to get it straight (well it did for me), but working doors to doors it wasn't so bad.

Jinty ;)

What a miserable day outside, that means I'm confined to the garage. At least there are some benefits with bad weather!!!

I've made some progress with the Stanier brake, I'd finished the lining last night, and then varnished it all this morning. Giving the varnish a couple of hours to go off, I decided to cut some coverslips ready for fitting. I've cut one sides worth and fitted them.

Now there was a touch of waste, but once I got in the groove, it went quite smoothly with little waste. I want to try some other methods of cutting the glass, but for now, I'm quite happy with how it's gone.

I think that the glass makes a major difference to the way that the coach looks. Here are a couple of pictures taken in poor light because it's been really raining heavy today

post-14906-0-26894500-1438442635_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-45055100-1438442661_thumb.jpg

And a view in at the seating, although there is some reflection with the poor light.

post-14906-0-00923500-1438442681_thumb.jpg

I have yet to glaze the end and the other side, then it's the difficult bit glazing the compartment doors. I'm going to experiment dry brushing a teak type effect on the interior partitions, if it works, and maybe a couple of passengers. Lighting is another experiment I shall be having, as I want that subtle yellowish glow that these older coaches had.

And again, I've yet to finish the bogies, but now that the body is nearly there, I can get on with those too!

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

The coach is looking really well. I would just like to mention the roof extrusion. The firm that produces these excellent LMS coach kits introduced another roof profile quite a number of years ago now and it is better suited to all LMS coaches (except the postwar corridor composite).

The coach is looking really well. I would just like to mention the roof extrusion. The firm that produces these excellent LMS coach kits introduced another roof profile quite a number of years ago now and it is better suited to all LMS coaches (except the postwar corridor composite).

Thanks Coachman,

I thought all the semi elliptical roofs were the same.

The coach and the Toad look amazing Jinty !!

Thank you

Nice work there Jinty, can you tell me how you secured the cover slips in place please.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I used Humbrol Clearfix, it's a bit like canopy glue, as you can stretch it out to form small glazed windows. But it fixes ordinary glazing without leaving marks, and is strong enough for this job as well.

Jinty ;)

Cheers for the prompt reply Jinty, will you be going to Telford this year?

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I work at weekends, so I wouldn't be able to. Although my wallet probably likes the idea that I can't!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Good call Jint's, it's my lad's 18th birthday on the Sunday 06th Spet, so I would have risked a :blackeye: from Mrs. B. if I had snook off to Telford that weekend.

May be next year as 19 isn't a special birthday  :friends: , pus it gives us more time to save more dosh !!!

Craig

I shall not be able to make it either, although I do expect to be at Reading in December.

Last December I met several of the "Western Thunder" crowd (some of whom lurk in this parish too... :) ) at Reading - it was very nice to put faces to names. I'd certainly suggest that those going make an effort to meet (wearing a carnation under the clock...?)

:)

Simon

• Like 1

But I haven't got a clock to wear a Carnation under, I wear a watch usually!!! :jester:

As I said, I'm usually at work on the weekends, so I'm usually precluded from most shows, etc.......

I must start booking holidays at more appropriate times.

Jinty ;)

Guest bri.s

Lovely work on the stanier coach and toad jinty they are looking great ,and I agree the glazing looks real on the coach

Brian