Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

The coach is looking good jinty,

Do you have another one to do? I presume they ran as a two or three car set.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks, yes I have another two Sidelines Stanier Period III coaches, to make up my 3 coach Hereford train that will be pulled by an Ivatt 2MT, probably 46503 which was a regular loco through Talyllyn.

Hi Jinty

Following this thread has made me sort out my O gauge stock. Am now thinking of building an O gauge line around the bottom garden roughly planning it out it would give me a run of about 300' and I could even build a Connel Ferry bridge across part of the pond area.

Hi Peter,

That brakevan looks nice, I like your idea for an outside line, 300' eh? That's some serious running area in 7mm!!!

I'll look forward to bringing something over for a shakedown once in a while then. ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

The coach is really coming along at a fantastic rate! All looking good. I have a rake of Sideline coaches which Malcolm Binns built for me and they are very good. I did find that on my super elevated curves the bogies kept derailing so I had to fit a slightly domed washer to the securing bolt to give one bogie per coach a little "3 point suspension" since which I have had no trouble at all. Hope this is useful.

Rod

I'd agree - my coaches are arranged so that one bogie can rock fore & aft but not across, typically by means of a wire soldered across the floor, and the other can rock both fore & aft, and across, on a domed washer

Some of my bogies are "semi sprung" in which the frame of the bogie is not soldered into a solid structure, but can flex. Some others are equalised. Either way, you'd need some seriously irregular or uneven track to get them off.

The clerestories with the Dean suspension are more challenging than the later varieties - they are all "cheated" in the same way with a centre pivot, but the lack of clearance can be an issue.

HTH

Simon

Thanks guys, I'm hoping that my trackwork is nice and billiard table like!!!!!!

I've managed to cut and fettle the roof into place. I've left it a slight touch prouder over the ends than It should be, but I will dress it back against a measured piece of scrap brass, after it has been fixed to the sides, so it is true with the sides and ends.

post-14906-0-45291200-1437422981_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-30927900-1437422995_thumb.jpg

I must build the other bogie and finish that one!!!

I'll get on with them whilst the Epoxy is drying tomorrow.

Once all that's done I will get on with marking the roof out for the ribbing and vents, also the water filler and pipes.

Then it's paint..................... Now Brian did say it'll be painted by Sunday, but he didn't say which Sunday :O  :paint:

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

I have been thinking about what I did to the bogies of my ready made Sideline coaches. One bogie I left as supplied but the other bogie I modified to give some compensation. As supplied the bogies rest on two projecting pieces of brass which make the coach stable. They are free to rotate but will not rock on either direction and it was this that caused me trouble. So I removed the bolt holding one bogie in place and proceeded to file off the two projecting bits of brass. Prior to his I measured the depth of the projections and then made up a domed washer the same thickness and replaced the bogie. This ensured the coach stayed at the same height and most importantly gave the second bogie enough rocking action in both directions thus keeping it in contact with the track and lovely Jubbly I have not had a derailment since. So 5 coaches but only one bogie per coach needed doing and it was a simple job.

Hope this is useful

Rod

Wot a numpty !!!

Easy mistake to make!!! ;)

Anyway, I've been persevering with the coach, in particular the roof. The beading was a t#$t, it kept lifting after a few hours (I didn't know Torment only had 4 letters???). I'd rubbed up the roof with a scotch cloth and then marked it all out, and drilled the holes for the handrails and vents. I also marked for the beading, and I used Slaters flat microstrip fixed down with butanone. I eventually realised that it was the heat from the sun through the window that was causing it to lift, so took it into the back of the garage where it was cooler and it seems to of settled down ok now.

After the beading the vents were fitted and then came the next test of patience, the tank filler pipes, that run half way along the coach. I eventually got them in place. And once the other two handrails were glued in position, I cleaned it all over with IPA and then primered it.

post-14906-0-02862400-1437666877_thumb.jpg

And from the other end.

post-14906-0-39036300-1437666888_thumb.jpg

I have also fitted the vac and steam pipes to the headstock, I fabricated the vac pipe from nickel silver wire and Slaters springs and a coupling on the end, I also used the Slaters fittings for the steam pipes. I've also made up the dynamo with the adjuster and fitted it as well as the regulator box and strengthened the truss rods. The chassis will be ready for painting soon.

Next up is the bogies to finish, wish I'd finished them first, then I'd of had something to rest it on!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

David

Hoping your microstrip is now behaving itself, but for future reference, or just-in-case, you can do the hot water trick, but I find an alternative more effective - placing the strip between first finger and thumbnail and drawing it through will induce a fairly severe curve if needed. Another way is to run the back of the scalpel blade along a strip on the edge of your cutting mat, should curl it up nicely.

A bit of practice and you would make the strips to fit, and then they stay put when the solvent is added.

HTH

Simon

There's another alternative for the beading - Sidelines own roof tape.  I've used it on the ones I built and had no problems with it coming adrift.  Unfortunately, I can't find any photos that show them well and I've sold the vehicles now!!   Sod's Law!!

Rod

After an interesting week with work, I've not been able to get as much modelling done as I'd of liked, but I have managed to get the Maroon onto the coach and the grey roof to boot!!!

I've got a fair bit of detail painting around the coach body, as well as the inside panels for the sides. I've decided to have a go at using Microscope slides & cover slips for the glazing. Should be interesting, and I'll see how long it is before I give in and resort to plastic!!!

The lining is yet to be done, as is the numbering, etc.

A quick question: My reading of the numbering is that it would have both a prefix 'M' and a Suffix 'M', as it was absorbed stock, running on the LMR and its maintenance and operation was with the LMR as well, is that correct?

Here are a couple of pictures of progress.

post-14906-0-64503700-1437927223_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-35914400-1437927234_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-69361200-1437927247_thumb.jpg

And yesterday this little cutie showed up, for me to fit a sound decoder to, but I thought, what a nice little railcar. Shame they never ran to Talyllyn, as I'd have one in a heartbeat. I don't think they'd be able to cope with the grades in the surrounding area though. Shame

post-14906-0-31531500-1437927260_thumb.jpg

I'll try and remember to do a video on my rolling road when I've finished it.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

If I remember right you are correct in saying the coach number would have an M either side of it. I believe that the M prefix alone started with the BR Mk 1 coaches but I stand corrected on this matter. Doubtless someone will put me right if I am wrong.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

A quick question: My reading of the numbering is that it would have both a prefix 'M' and a Suffix 'M', as it was absorbed stock, running on the LMR and its maintenance and operation was with the LMR as well, is that correct?

Shortly after nationalization, Big Four marking were obliterated. but not overnight of course, and the running number(s) was given a regional prefix letter. In the case of ex LMS stock, this usually consisted of an 'M' cut from a 4" LMS transfer. By early 1949 BR Gil Sans insignia was available, so all new and repaint coaches got a M 0000 number, at the left hand end of the coach side. When BR Mk.I coaches started to be built, it was decided that pre-Nationalization designs would be given a suffix letter, ie : M 0000 M. If allocated to another region the coach would receive that regions prefix, ie : W 0000 M. Shortly afterwards (1952-3) it was decided to position the running number at the right hand end of a coach side. Most of these changes took time to implement because of the huge number of coaches involved.

So taking your shallow window vent Stanier brake third as an example, it would have M 0000 M at the right hand end in post 1956 maroon with black ends livery.

After an interesting week with work, I've not been able to get as much modelling done as I'd of liked, but I have managed to get the Maroon onto the coach and the grey roof to boot!!!

I've got a fair bit of detail painting around the coach body, as well as the inside panels for the sides. I've decided to have a go at using Microscope slides & cover slips for the glazing. Should be interesting, and I'll see how long it is before I give in and resort to plastic!!!

attachicon.gifTal 134.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 135.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 136.jpg

And yesterday this little cutie showed up, for me to fit a sound decoder to, but I thought, what a nice little railcar. Shame they never ran to Talyllyn, as I'd have one in a heartbeat. I don't think they'd be able to cope with the grades in the surrounding area though. Shame

attachicon.gifTal 137.jpg

Jinty ;)

Nice work Jinty.

Yes I like those railcars - they ran on the local Ciren to Tetbury line, but although Heljan used 'OO' motors/gears (?) etc. the retail price is, IMHHO high and even with discounts I had to decide, just how much I liked (needed - if ever we do need more models) the model and at the price I decided I didnt like it that much - if you see what I mean.

Yet Dad and I were looking at one recently and both left longing for one, especially as it had 'Tetbury' on its headcode!

Kindest,

CME

attachicon.gifTal 134.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 135.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 136.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 137.jpg

Jinty ;)

Nice work Jinty.

Yes I like those railcars - they ran on the local Ciren to Tetbury line, but although Heljan used 'OO' motors/gears (?) etc. the retail price is, IMHHO high and even with discounts I had to decide, just how much I liked (needed - if ever we do need more models) the model and at the price I decided I didnt like it that much - if you see what I mean.

Yet Dad and I were looking at one recently and both left longing for one, especially as it had 'Tetbury' on its headcode!

Kindest,

CME

I have a sound-fitted one of these. I am not hugely impressed with the quality of the model, certainly not at the asking price.

Shortly after nationalization, Big Four marking were obliterated. but not overnight of course, and the running number(s) was given a regional prefix letter. In the case of ex LMS stock, this usually consisted of an 'M' cut from a 4" LMS transfer. By early 1949 BR Gil Sans insignia was available, so all new and repaint coaches got a M 0000 number, at the left hand end of the coach side. When BR Mk.I coaches started to be built, it was decided that pre-Nationalization designs would be given a suffix letter, ie : M 0000 M. If allocated to another region the coach would receive that regions prefix, ie : W 0000 M. Shortly afterwards (1952-3) it was decided to position the running number at the right hand end of a coach side. Most of these changes took time to implement because of the huge number of coaches involved.

So taking your shallow window vent Stanier brake third as an example, it would have M 0000 M at the right hand end in post 1956 maroon with black ends livery.

Thank you for a very thorough answer Coachman, greatly appreciated.

One thing I do know is that the coach numbering was retained as is from LMS days on the Absorbed stock. so mine, which was originally 5482 will then be M 5482 M.

Jinty ;)

Well what a week. First of all, I masked the coach sides and roof up to spray the ends black, and once done the masking tape ripped the maroon off in sheets!!! Now it wasn't violent masking tape, as I use that Tamiya yellow tape, so I'm thinking that the Etch Primer may of gone off, as the body was well prepped. :banghead:

So, I removed the rest of the maroon paint, which wasn't difficult with a blade to scrape it off. Then I went and got some more Etch Primer, trying the Upol variety this time, from Halfords. Then after the etch primer, I gave it a couple of light coats of normal primer, and then rubbed it back a bit.

Lefdt overnight to dry off properly, I made a start on the lining and numbering today.

Progress so far.

post-14906-0-24504600-1438200217_thumb.jpg

The other side sometime tomorrow.

Now the other thing I've been playing about with this week are Microscope slides and coverslips, for glazing.

I'd ordered some microscope slides with 20mm x 20mm coverslips as a pack. I've tried using the slides, and although they look good, I think the coverslips look better. They are much thinner, ranging from 0.3mm - 0.7mm thickness, the 20mm x 20mm size meant they could only be used for small windows such as droplights, etc. So I've now ordered some 25mm x 50mm coverslips that I will be able to cut down to fit the main windows for the compartments.

I've tried the coverslips in the end windows of the Toad brake van, and I think they look ok, although it took an age trying to work out how to show them in a photo!!!!

post-14906-0-46167100-1438200233_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-29315900-1438200247_thumb.jpg

I think they'll look ok in the coach once it's done.

I also had a bit of a bargain off that famous auction site, I obtained Russel's Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines Vol 1 & 2, plus the Absorbed Engines all for £20, so I was very pleased at that.  :imsohappy:

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Glad you go the coach sorted Jinty,

It looks superb, looking forwards to seeing the others now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks, but the other coaches won't be making an appearance for a little while yet, I need an 0-6-0 tank building as I've got loco's piling up. Also, Talyllyn Junction was primarily WR, and apart from a Toad brakevan, I've only built LMR stock up to now, so I think it's the turn of the WR.

I have never had any problems with Halfords Acid 8 etch primer on metal(s) or plastic. Good luck, the coach is looking well.

Thanks Coachman,

I had been using the Railmatch 1k Etch Primer, and I've now tried the Halfords Etch and I'm converted, as I haven't got all that mixing, etc for the airbrush. Straight out of the aerosol after a good shake, and a nice even coverage.

Jinty ;)

I have a sound-fitted one of these. I am not hugely impressed with the quality of the model, certainly not at the asking price.

Yes kinda my thoughts and its a worthy comment from someone in the trade/business. My understanding was using 'OO' gearbox/motors etc etc would keep the cost down and then they released the model and I saw the RRP and thought wow thats not for me!

Well what a week. First of all, I masked the coach sides and roof up to spray the ends black, and once done the masking tape ripped the maroon off in sheets!!! Now it wasn't violent masking tape, as I use that Tamiya yellow tape, so I'm thinking that the Etch Primer may of gone off, as the body was well prepped. :banghead:

So, I removed the rest of the maroon paint, which wasn't difficult with a blade to scrape it off. Then I went and got some more Etch Primer, trying the Upol variety this time, from Halfords. Then after the etch primer, I gave it a couple of light coats of normal primer, and then rubbed it back a bit.

Lefdt overnight to dry off properly, I made a start on the lining and numbering today.

Progress so far.

attachicon.gifTal 138.jpg

The other side sometime tomorrow.

Now the other thing I've been playing about with this week are Microscope slides and coverslips, for glazing.

I'd ordered some microscope slides with 20mm x 20mm coverslips as a pack. I've tried using the slides, and although they look good, I think the coverslips look better. They are much thinner, ranging from 0.3mm - 0.7mm thickness, the 20mm x 20mm size meant they could only be used for small windows such as droplights, etc. So I've now ordered some 25mm x 50mm coverslips that I will be able to cut down to fit the main windows for the compartments.

I've tried the coverslips in the end windows of the Toad brake van, and I think they look ok, although it took an age trying to work out how to show them in a photo!!!!

attachicon.gifTal 139.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 140.jpg

I think they'll look ok in the coach once it's done.

I also had a bit of a bargain off that famous auction site, I obtained Russel's Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines Vol 1 & 2, plus the Absorbed Engines all for £20, so I was very pleased at that.  :imsohappy:

Jinty ;)

Jinty, I dont know how you work so fast and to such high standards and get the time to photo and post on here - more strength to your elbow though!

BTW, if fitting cover-slips is not possible or a chore to shape, I use Peter Cowling's clear sheet for such - thanks Phill for that tip a few years back - which is superb, nice and clear with a nice amount of reflection too, its easy to cut/work with and a very, very close second best to glass. For my MK1 coaches I use Easy Build glazing as that is superb also. Nothing will beat real glass, yet cover slips are pretty fragile and thus sometime fiddly to cut etc.

Kindest to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Yes kinda my thoughts and its a worthy comment from someone in the trade/business. My understanding was using 'OO' gearbox/motors etc etc would keep the cost down and then they released the model and I saw the RRP and thought wow thats not for me!

Jinty, I dont know how you work so fast and to such high standards and get the time to photo and post on here - more strength to your elbow though!

Kindest to all,

CME

Thanks CME, but I only plod along, and it had been nearly a week since I'd posted anything substantial!!!

I guess we will be seeing some Collett's then. Did they run B sets up that way?

Cheers Peter.

Yes Peter,

Colletts were a staple diet from the WR, B'Set (D98) and also the E131 Non corridor Composite, as well as some Collet corridor varieties too. First things first though is a loco, I have a JLTRT 8750 to build.

Jinty ;)