Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

I knew I was taking liberties with that one - but it's good to know the precise details - thank you Martyn! - extremely useful - fortunately that one is buried in all sorts of grot...... This one's a bit closer, bit still not quite right then.

A7DADAB7-F258-4787-9552-03E405BF2B9B_zps

• Like 3

That's a lovely piece of work Martyn, and I like the idea of the 6-wheeled milk tanker for testing, after all, they are temperamental. I'll have to invest in one of those Dapol thingamyjigs.

I was trying to work out why our slips looked so different, and the answer is mine curves in opposite directions, where your slip curves in the same. It just looked like an optical illusion when I compared the two.

Thanks for the compliment Rod,

I've run out of BH rail now, after finishing the slip, I was left with a 9" piece!!! A close run thing!!!

An order to C&L is called for now

• Like 1

Wow Jinty that is a stunning piece of trackwork, what is the length of the whole complex ?

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

The whole complex is 5' long.

If you add to that the station platforms at 7', that's 12', and then in the other direction there will be two crossovers, another 5', the beginning of a siding, and then the scenic break for the fiddle yards, not sure how the scenic break will be, I'm thinking either a road overbridge (even though there wasn't a road there on the real thing) or maybe lots of large trees and a raised piece of ground in between the two diverging routes.

Not sure yet, that's a long way off yet.

Jinty ;)

I like the idea of the 6-wheeled milk tanker for testing, after all, they are temperamental. I'll have to invest in one of those Dapol thingamyjigs.

Dapol thingamyjigs !!   Young man I will have you know it's a Slaters kit :senile: .

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

David,

if you're thinking of investing in a Dapol thingummyjig, do read the thread on that subject first... Don't want to express an opinion for fear of further opprobrium :(. There were some absurdly strong opinions expressed here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62781-o-gauge-milk-tankers/?p=810516

Other options include Slaters and POWsides. I have one of each. Slaters are more challenging.

Photo (sorry, not very detailed) at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79052-porth-dinllaen-in-0/?p=1775431. The POWsides one is red.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

Thank you for the heads up Simon, I was looking at the various liveries to see which was more suitable for the 60's, but now I've read the thread, I'm going to go down the Slaters route, even though I'm not keen on them.

As an open question, which livery of milk tank frequented the BR(WR) in the 1960's, or were there many different liveries?

If coaching stock is anything to go by, there could easily have been milk tankers from all regions in the S. Wales valleys. I have a DVD of Shrewsbury in the 1960's, and in the 'Cambrian' bay platform, there was a North Eastern articulated set parked up!!!!! Now how far off base is that?

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

I wrote a build thread on one of the Slaters one's I built, but it's on the Western thunder forum and I'm afraid I do not know how to share the link.

ATB,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Nice job on the trackwork Jinty and Martyn. Martin's point about the position of the blade tips is obvious when you consider the thin part of the blade is its weakest point so support is required.

This one from the Isle of Wight shows the stretcher bar placed behind the timber bearing the tips which I have seen more often.

post-8525-0-04890600-1322728647_thumb.jpg

Incidentally this is one reason why a moving sleeper used as a tie-bar can be effective as the tips look properly placed. More than a fat tie-bar between two normal timbers.

Don

• Like 3

Hi David,

I wrote a build thread on one of the Slaters one's I built, but it's on the Western thunder forum and I'm afraid I do not know how to share the link.

ATB,

Martyn.

Like this but unless you are a member it's thumbnail photos only. 

Dave

Edited by daifly

Thank you all,

A late afternoon and the Slip is finished, baring tie bars that is.

Once I'd located the two crossing vees and the 'bent' stock rail, I've sort of worked away from the 'bent' stock rail towards the other side, and it went together quite straight forward (Not sure what I was worried about). There is a curve through the slip in both directions, where one can be seen clearly in the second photo. Not sure if the curve is even right the way through, but stock will pass through quite happily in all directions, without any sudden bumps. when I tried a wagon first time, it bounced off and I thought 'Oh bug##r', but I'd forgotten about the blades being slightly sprung against the running rail, an it had launched itself over the blade!!!! Phew!!

Here are a few pictures

From above

attachicon.gifTal 105.jpg

Down low, showing the curvature that runs right through the crossing

attachicon.gifTal 106.jpg

And a couple from the other end of the complete complex

attachicon.gifTal 107.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 108.jpg

I feel somewhat relieved now, and this is the bulk of the point work for Talyllyn Junction, just two crossovers and the turnout out of the tunnel. Oh and a catch point in the cattle siding.

So as well as finishing the garage, I can now set about getting some stock built.

Comments always welcome

Jinty ;)

Jinty

I like to try out the trackwork with not only rolling stock but also locos, I usually try my worst loco (in 00 its an old Mainline J72 each driver having a different back to back measurement). This is why I favour gapping copperclad strip prior to fitting. I have an old H&M controller which has crock clips on the end of the wires, as well as several leads of differing lengths, again with crock clips at both ends, finally a few offcuts of code 75 rail used to short circuit between the common crossing and stock rail. This way seems to fault find at an early stage

Very impressed at the speed of completion, even more impressed at the quality of the work

Hi Giles,

That's looking very neat.

You may not realise that the blade tips (points) are usually supported on a slide chair, not free in fresh air between the timbers. Typically the tip overlaps the centre of the chair by 3.1/2 inches. Here are a couple of pics showing a GWR joggled switch at Kidderminster:

gwr_joggle1.jpg

gwr_joggle2.jpg

Of course there are exceptions, mostly on light railways, industrial and narrow-gauge. For conventional standard-gauge these pics are typical of the normal practice.

regards,

Martin.

A good point (no pun intended!) well made Martin, one that I had forgotten about - easily done when one has been away from the prototype and only playing trains ever since (as I have, sort of). :derisive:

Dare I say, that the Peco RTL switches and crossings seem to almost fit the bill in this regard, almost that is, I shall tweak and super-detail those that I have to lay, sadly, time doesnt allow me to dabble in track building - although I know that it's the best way to go, looking at yours, Jinty's and Giles' work. :yes:  :imsohappy:  ;)

Kindest to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Ok Track building aside for a little while.

Anyone remember that Toad brakevan?

I primered it up this evening to see if anywhere needed attention.

post-14906-0-70515200-1436303828_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-34906100-1436303844_thumb.jpg

I'm going to finish it as a non fitted one in BR Grey. Already got my transfers from Railtec, so I'll blacken the bottom half tomorrow, then fit the buffers, and then some detail painting.

Jinty ;)

PS: The extra tyres on the wheels is masking tape!!! ;)

• Like 12

Guest bri.s

Nice work as usual jinty

We've got to wonder if there's more than one of you with all this progress and the speed of it lol

Brian

Nice work as usual jinty

We've got to wonder if there's more than one of you with all this progress and the speed of it lol

Brian

Thanks Brian, From both of us!!!!! :drinks:   :crazy_mini:

While I've been putting a dab of paint on the Toad, my twin has been playing with an LMS 9' Bogie and a few wires for the lamp on the Toad

post-14906-0-59756700-1436378876_thumb.jpg

Just a trial to see what it looks like. I think I'll alter the way the wires come out of the bottom of the next one, as I want them to look a bit more realistic than that!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

My next project is a Sidelines Dia:1851 Corridor Brake Third.

Looks quite an involved kit, but some lovely castings, etc, and the kit is complete apart from wheels. I've added the Roxey Mouldings 3' 7" coach wheels & bearings.

I intend to fit this coach with switchable interior lighting, and it will require some thought as to how I go about the current collection and if I should use a capacitor as well.

Here are the sides after a clean up with a Scotch Cloth.

post-14906-0-02583100-1436388615_thumb.jpg

This build certainly won't be rapid, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm waiting for a copy of "The LMS Coach, 1923 - 1957" by Essery & Jenkinson, to arrive, for photos, and reference material. But there is no harm cleaning up the etchings and making the bogies ready, is there?

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

My next project is a Sidelines Dia:1851 Corridor Brake Third.

Looks quite an involved kit, but some lovely castings, etc, and the kit is complete apart from wheels. I've added the Roxey Mouldings 3' 7" coach wheels & bearings.

I intend to fit this coach with switchable interior lighting, and it will require some thought as to how I go about the current collection and if I should use a capacitor as well.

Here are the sides after a clean up with a Scotch Cloth.

attachicon.gifTal 112.jpg

This build certainly won't be rapid, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm waiting for a copy of "The LMS Coach, 1923 - 1957" by Essery & Jenkinson, to arrive, for photos, and reference material. But there is no harm cleaning up the etchings and making the bogies ready, is there?

Jinty ;)

Ha ha , pull the other one, it's you Jinty we are talking about !!! it'll be 90% complete by this Sunday ...... now if I was building it, it would still be in the box  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

I look forward to your LMS brake 3rd mate ,I need a LMS brake 3rd driving trailer for cudworth ,

Brian

Ps it'll probably be painted by Sunday lol

Edited by bri.s

"This build certainly won't be rapid"

That depends on your definition of "rapid", Jinty!! Did the sides come with the tumblehome already formed, or did you do that "just to get started"?

I've built 3 or 4 Sidelines coaches in my time (LNWR and LMS) and found them really enjoyable to do.  Hope you find this one the same - and the ones that will follow, no doubt!!!

Rod

"This build certainly won't be rapid"

That depends on your definition of "rapid", Jinty!! Did the sides come with the tumblehome already formed, or did you do that "just to get started"?

I've built 3 or 4 Sidelines coaches in my time (LNWR and LMS) and found them really enjoyable to do.  Hope you find this one the same - and the ones that will follow, no doubt!!!

Rod

Hi Rod,

No I got Malcom to form the sides for me, he kindly offered, and as I have no bars, I accepted graciously.

I'm looking forward to the build, and I've already got two more after this one. I just want to get the hang of his style of kit before moving on to the others.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1