Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Jinty

I hope you don't mind but I've shared a few of your 4F and fruit D pictures on a JLTRT showcase page on Facebook.

I've credited you with them.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I do hope you got the right numbered one!!!!!!!

I don't do Facebook myself, but how would an old goat like me find the pictures, as if it's a showcase, there will be other models there I summise.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

A bit quiet over these last few days, but back to work with a bang!!!!

Anyway, after the Santa from C&L delivered a parcel, and after I'd stained up a few sleepers from Intentio Design, I decided to make up a 4' x 1' diorama so I can take photos of stock as its built., also to give me a bit of practice with the track building elements.

I have actually found it relatively straight forward really. The hardest bit being the soldering onto the rail the fishplates, and keeping them in place, but I've worked out a little system now.

Here is the small piece I've done this tea time. The next piece represents a full 40' track panel.

post-14906-0-02170500-1434393461_thumb.jpg

Here is the end piece with the fishplates ready to accept the next rail. I like the fact that the sleepers close up at the track joints prototypically.

post-14906-0-67911700-1434393487_thumb.jpg

I'll get the next track panel in place tomorrow, and possibly the piece afterwards too!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

That track looks good there Jints ........ nearly as good as my Peco Bullhead  :mosking: ..... this has me thinking about my scenic sections now, have you worked out the cost of materials per foot ?

Best regards

Craig. 

That track looks good there Jints ........ nearly as good as my Peco Bullhead  :mosking: ..... this has me thinking about my scenic sections now, have you worked out the cost of materials per foot ?

Best regards

Craig.

You're a bad man Craig, all this rambling about kettles and now track????? :O

I haven't priced it up actually, but I would honestly say that a Peco point approaching £50, I'm certain that handbuilt with these materials is cheaper, and copperclad construction, cheaper still.

Jinty ;)

Point work is way cheaper if self built - my recollection is that copperclad is the cheapest, C&L is next, then C&L kits, and Marcway & Peco fight it out! I think Lenz wins...

There are some estimates in my PD thread.

Best

Simon

Point work is way cheaper if self built - my recollection is that copperclad is the cheapest, C&L is next, then C&L kits, and Marcway & Peco fight it out! I think Lenz wins...

There are some estimates in my PD thread.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I agree except for the copperclad, I thought I would use copperclad for the turnouts in the fiddle yard on Church Norton as I use to build with it back in the early 80's. But it has got expensive like everything else so now the differences in cost are minimal.

Martyn.

PS , If you are happy to file the blades and vee's yourself, I think this is still the cheapest and looks the part in my opinion.

Certainly for a turnout where you make the switch rails yourself and the common crossing using the standard range of C&L or Exactoscale components, the cost will be below that of a Peco RTR point, with a PECO medium turnout being about £39. Chairs would be about £5.00, rail about £6, ply sleepers about £3 and £2 for other bits

The biggest benefits will be the ability to have custom designed turnouts which will fit the space required, there are some lovely prints from Shapeways for special chairs which would increase the unit cost of a turnout but many just fashion standard chairs. Having to build the common crossings seem to be the biggest turn off, but there are a couple of ideas which simplifies the building process.

Jinty

I use the Exactoscale plastic fishplates which not only look terrific but work really well, cast metal ones are also available. I also use the etched fishplates as I just notch the rail break, tin both fishplate and rail then solder both together

• RMweb Gold

Building your own turnouts is cheaper and a modest amount of effort produces a better result. Making your own crossings and blades is not hard. A chap who has done such a good job on that 4F should have no trouble. If you are modelling a station with shortish bits of track joining the turnouts together I would recommend using the individual components as the plain track in yards lacks the key details and the variations in sleeper spacing. However modelling a long scenic sections you might find making the plain track boring. Its really done to you make the effort and produce really good track or lay down peco or marcway to get things running quicker at a cost. Mind you many feel that when the train runs by few look at the track.

Don

I spent a little bit of time last night, and again this early evening, fettling the W-irons and axleboxes, and not too much longer, having added the springs, the Fruit D can sit on its wheels.

I usually have a piece of glass that's attached to a piece of MDF, but I dropped it on the garage floor this afternoon, so I need another one now. I checked the squareness on my piece of glass that's fixed on my workbench in the garage, and it sits nice and true.

I'm only working in the house because the garage is upside down at the moment, full of timber for the insulation job.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures.

attachicon.gifTal 07.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 08.jpg

So far this kit has done nothing but impress me. The castings are a good quality, especially the whitemetal ones as I've seen some very poor castings before now, but these are crisp and very little flash on them too.

I half expected top have some sort of bow in the chassis as well, as I've never seen a resin kit without some sort of bow in it, but no, this one is straight and true, and the chassis fits perfectly inside the body casting, which is again, spot on.

I'm now going to start on the brake linkages, etc. A bit of cleaning up, and then trial fitting.

Jinty ;-)

Hi David

I use a cutting board made of granite that I obtained from Morrisons for £9.99 for use as a flat surface for building wagons and other items on . Well worth the cost its about 15inches by 12inces Appox. Dont know if they still have them.

Did not realise that you had started this thread. Dont forget if you need any help on the research side you are welcome to come and use the Railway Study Centre library.

Will follow now with interest.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Jinty,

Nice to see some 7mm track being built. Do you still have your oo C&L track bits?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I've got quite a bit of stuff left, including the OO-SF gauges (both sets).

Are you still building your own track for your 'little project' then?

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi David

I use a cutting board made of granite that I obtained from Morrisons for £9.99 for use as a flat surface for building wagons and other items on . Well worth the cost its about 15inches by 12inces Appox. Dont know if they still have them.

Did not realise that you had started this thread. Dont forget if you need any help on the research side you are welcome to come and use the Railway Study Centre library.

Will follow now with interest.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it sometime as there is not a great deal of information on Talyllyn Jct'n, just short articles in various publications.

Jinty ;)

As far as the track work is concerned I will be using wooden sleepers/C&L chairs/Rail construction on all scenic areas, and will probably revert to copperclad in the fiddle yard (depending on cost) and for the outside I'm going to use Peco!!!

I think I'm going to enjoy this, as I've been playing with the second track section this morning. Yes it's a bit long winded, but it's exactly the look I want. I also want to replicate the correct 40' track panels on all the scenic track.

Thanks for the input everyone

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it sometime as there is not a great deal of information on Talyllyn Jct'n, just short articles in various publications.

Jinty ;)

If you do go over to Peter's give us a shout, I shall un-invitingly invite myself over at the same time, Peter always puts the kettle on, well Wendy does !!!

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Hi Peter,

Yes I've got quite a bit of stuff left, including the OO-SF gauges (both sets).

Are you still building your own track for your 'little project' then?

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

I am, if you want to sell it on let me know.

Cheers Peter.

A little bit more done today, I've fitted the next 40' track panel in place and now there is just a little bit to do. Then I can think about trying some ballast.

post-14906-0-49394000-1434457343_thumb.jpg

I've also had a few 'Toys' arrive into the toybox today, but all collectors should avert their eyes now!!!!!

I thought I'd try one of the Dapol 5-plank wagons, yes I know it's GW but I'm going to distress it and give it a 'B' number.

post-14906-0-89929600-1434457359_thumb.jpg

Then I found a couple of 'Limited Editions' on Ebay, this nice series I Landy...

(The free dog is supposed to be a 'CORGI', but I'm going to paint it black & white!!!!!)

post-14906-0-77247300-1434457373_thumb.jpg

And this Morris lorry, SVR livery...

post-14906-0-51208500-1434457386_thumb.jpg

I'm going to be altering these considerably, the Land Rover will be getting the 'Farm' treatment, and I'm considering either turning the Morris into a small cattle lorry or a coal flatbed.

I'm not one for 'Limited Editions' especially where there are over 5,000 of them!!!!!

I also decided I needed something a touch bigger than an airbrush, as when I painted the Fruit D, it seemed rather big and took some going over, and I was thinking just how much hard work a 57' coach would be, so I've invested in this little beauty!!!

post-14906-0-77132400-1434457398_thumb.jpg

I can now use this for base coating and the airbrush for detail painting, weathering and track painting.

Might be a bit more later

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

What make is the air gun Jints ? and that Corgi looks more a lion ;-)

Hi Craig,

The air gun id a SIP, part number 02161, Can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141013520152?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice little gun. 1.5mm nozzle and low CFM. paint and pattern adjustment too, and all less than £25!!!!

Jinty ;)

I'm 99% sure that the Landy's an SII !

My SI was 1952 1a, they didn't have the recessed "gunwale" along the body, below the hardtop, and AFAIK, neither did the 1b.

The "corgi" looks more than a bit suspect too... Genetic modification perchance?

Best

Simon

A little bit more done today, I've fitted the next 40' track panel in place and now there is just a little bit to do. Then I can think about trying some ballast.

attachicon.gifTal 73.jpg

I've also had a few 'Toys' arrive into the toybox today, but all collectors should avert their eyes now!!!!!

I thought I'd try one of the Dapol 5-plank wagons, yes I know it's GW but I'm going to distress it and give it a 'B' number.

attachicon.gifTal 74.jpg

Then I found a couple of 'Limited Editions' on Ebay, this nice series I Landy...

(The free dog is supposed to be a 'CORGI', but I'm going to paint it black & white!!!!!)

attachicon.gifTal 75.jpg

And this Morris lorry, SVR livery...

attachicon.gifTal 76.jpg

I'm going to be altering these considerably, the Land Rover will be getting the 'Farm' treatment, and I'm considering either turning the Morris into a small cattle lorry or a coal flatbed.

I'm not one for 'Limited Editions' especially where there are over 5,000 of them!!!!!

I also decided I needed something a touch bigger than an airbrush, as when I painted the Fruit D, it seemed rather big and took some going over, and I was thinking just how much hard work a 57' coach would be, so I've invested in this little beauty!!!

attachicon.gifTal 77.jpg

I can now use this for base coating and the airbrush for detail painting, weathering and track painting.

Might be a bit more later

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty, :)

I have one of those Severn Valley Rly, limited edition trucks - it wont be a collectors item when Ive finished with it - hopefully it will be RC too! Like you, I believe that 5000 isnt really a limited edition, 500, or 100 yes, not 5000. So that means 4098 folk now have limited editions    :derisive:

I purchased a Sparmax GP50 for larger jobs and I have just purchased a set of casters for the larger of my two compressors - it isnt that large but its easier to use with wheels :)

We used to have corgis as pets - theyre pretty rare these days - our last had a bit of a 'mane' and loved it being roughed up :) , but he never looked like that plastic thing (it looks more like something from Daktari!!). What has happened to Corgis (the company) modelmaking skills? :help:

I shall stay quiet about the Dapol wagon, for fear of waking Adrian :this:  :secret:  :derisive:

Kindest,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

We had corgis as pets too.

The first one had a bit of a mane. He was red, and a right bruiser. Loved people, hated animals. The second and fourth were simply beautiful - exquisite animals. The third, Toby, was distinctly odd psychologically, quick enough to catch a pigeon from a lying start (that's "lying", not "flying") from under our holly bush, where he habitually rested, and had fur like an Oxfam fur coat.

If I wanted a dog (and, if our lifestyle allowed a dog to be part of the family) I'd happily have another.

As it is, we have a rescue cat, sweet, adorable, affectionate, but dim, who, when we got him, was christened "Aslan" which is Turkish for "lion". We've rechristened him "Cazzo", which is Italian for "p***k". Somehow altogether more fitting.

• Like 2

The cutest Corgi I've met looked exactly like a German Shepherd with short legs. If someone produced a model of that, I'd snap up a few, but would have to raise the ride height a fair bit!!

• Like 1