It's neither my era nor my region, but I'm envious of your epic layout. :)

2mmfs was my first real exposure to British modelling--I stumbled onto the association site and poured over their photos for hours. I loved how you could make vast scenes in small spaces, and even when you get closer it looks 'right'. It's not as detailed as EM/P4 and certainly not like 7mm, but that's one of its finest virtues! I consider myself an impressionist in modeller's terms, and what finer impression can be made than Euston from a helicopter in something like 8 feet?? 

If a slew of 4EPBs, 2BILs, and 4SUBs pop out in N in the next year I'd be sorely tempted to switch scales try this with a Southern terminus.. Now that's some dangerous thinking!  :jester:

I'll be following this closely.

Quentin

n gauge does seem to  be getting more popular now......according to the mags.

not sure if thats from people jumping down  from 00 or 0 or coming into the hobby fresh and going direct to n.  I suspect its mainly people downscaling due to the vast improvements now in 2mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeremy,

This is really coming along leaps and bounds now.  I don't envy you the task of threading all those chairs onto the rail but the end result is absolutely excellent.

Cav is doing a superb job of the 86's... never has been my choice of livery (always banger blue for me :) ) but nevertheless a superb job and they will look great once working on the layout.

Looking forward to more updates.. as always.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Jeremy,

This is really coming along leaps and bounds now.  I don't envy you the task of threading all those chairs onto the rail but the end result is absolutely excellent.

Cav is doing a superb job of the 86's... never has been my choice of livery (always banger blue for me :) ) but nevertheless a superb job and they will look great once working on the layout.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee.

You are of course wrong, executive intercity is the only livery for class 86's and 87's!! ;)

As has been said the trackwork is coming along great Jeremy, Almost makes me wish I'd gone full 2mm now, however the stock re-wheeling cost soon put's a stop to those thoughts. I may well give the easitrac point components a go on Millers Dale though when the project rears it's head but build them to my N2 standard.

Hi Jeremy,

Cheers

Lee

Cheers Lee.

I plan to have several blue locos as there were still a couple still kicking around during 1989. 86230 "The Duke of Wellington" will be one of them and also 87101 "Stephenson". I may also stretch the timeline a little to include a parcels red 86419 "Post Haste.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Lee.

You are of course wrong, executive intercity is the only livery for class 86's and 87's!! ;)

As has been said the trackwork is coming along great Jeremy, Almost makes me wish I'd gone full 2mm now, however the stock re-wheeling cost soon put's a stop to those thoughts. I may well give the easitrac point components a go on Millers Dale though when the project rears it's head but build them to my N2 standard.

I did like Millers Dale especially the bridge you built which is stunning. Hope to see it again one day.

Best regards,

Jeremy

the 86s look great - i do wish Dapol revisited their 86 and produced Inter-City executive versions.  One of the best liveries. Even if I was proficient at repainting the standard models it seems very time I watch these Dapol 86s on ebay they do seem to be fetching silly money now.

the 86s look great - i do wish Dapol revisited their 86 and produced Inter-City executive versions.  One of the best liveries. Even if I was proficient at repainting the standard models it seems very time I watch these Dapol 86s on ebay they do seem to be fetching silly money now.

A couple of months back there was a swallow version went for the insane price of £205!!! However they seem to fetch between £60 and £100 generally.

Regards the 86's in Swallow by Dapol, one went for over £200 on Ebay (Jeremy just beat me to it!)! I need several Virgin liveried examples and I have not seen one on Ebay for a long time so think mine will be repainted versions.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Hi Jeremy,

Track is progressing nicely, it will be good to see those 86's running through.

Nice work on the 86's Cav, excellent livery :sungum: .

With 87101, are you going to modify the roof to suit?

Cheers

Simon

I'll need to research some photos then as I hadn't realised that the roof was different.

Yes Jeremy it is. If you look at this picture of my 4mm version you can see there are differences. There are 2 round appendages on the cab roofs and the roof gear is arranged differently.

post-6894-0-53923500-1450351842_thumb.jpg

Here's the real one and a standard 87 to compare. Although the round things weren't added when this picture was taken.

post-6894-0-35106700-1450352046.jpg

You can see the round things on this one.

post-6894-0-13447800-1450352202_thumb.jpg

Standard

post-6894-0-87174400-1450352043_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

86s on sale at Dapol at the moment - £50 for EWS/FL grey, NR pair for £60.

I paid £45 for my IC Swallow one from Kernow a while back! Never even run it, maybe I'll have to part with it!

Track work does look superb, keep it up!

86s on sale at Dapol at the moment - £50 for EWS/FL grey, NR pair for £60.

I paid £45 for my IC Swallow one from Kernow a while back! Never even run it, maybe I'll have to part with it!

Track work does look superb, keep it up!

I saw that come through. I've been tempted but I've already bought quite a bit this month. May have to sneak another past the wife and use the "..I've had that one for ages..." tactic! :nono: :laugh: 

Well, I've bitten the bullet and decided to order two Dapol class 86's this morning. At £50 each they are good value new and I really need to start increasing my rolling stock levels. Just need some cheap MK3's to come up in the new year. And maybe Farish will release their MK2 air cons which I doubt they will until 2017.

If I was going to model an 86, which obviously does not fit in with my layout whatsoever, 86246 Royal Anglian Regiment would have to be it. I remember seeing her in prestine condition on the day of naming when 86s were first introduced on the Liverpool Street to Norwich services but only as far as Ipswich.

14207704411_ecbd6409c4.jpg00771 86246 Ipswich Station 14.05.85 by James Cannell, on Flickr

8483045927_faeaf20ff3.jpg86246_-_Ipswich_-_14_May_1985 by Steven Hughes, on Flickr

So much better than this:

6871940362_f507c84c7f.jpgClass 86/2 No 86246 "Royal Anglian Regiment" by John Evans, on Flickr

5339462872_81359fac63.jpg86246 . Ipswich Station . 14th-February-1986 by AndrewHA's, on Flickr

However, I do agree that there is something about 86s in that livery!
Best I don’t get you started on 47s…..

Sorry Jeremy for going off topic.

• Like 4

If I was going to model an 86, which obviously does not fit in with my layout whatsoever, 86246 Royal Anglian Regiment would have to be it. I remember seeing her in prestine condition on the day of naming when 86s were first introduced on the Liverpool Street to Norwich services but only as far as Ipswich.

14207704411_ecbd6409c4.jpg00771 86246 Ipswich Station 14.05.85 by James Cannell, on Flickr

8483045927_faeaf20ff3.jpg86246_-_Ipswich_-_14_May_1985 by Steven Hughes, on Flickr

So much better than this:

6871940362_f507c84c7f.jpgClass 86/2 No 86246 "Royal Anglian Regiment" by John Evans, on Flickr

5339462872_81359fac63.jpg86246 . Ipswich Station . 14th-February-1986 by AndrewHA's, on Flickr

However, I do agree that there is something about 86s in that livery!

Best I don’t get you started on 47s…..

Sorry Jeremy for going off topic.

Not at all, its bang on the topic. Always nice to see photos of 86's. Didn't Hornby produce a model of Royal Anglian Regiment back in the day?

They would sell well if they did. However, knowing Dapol, they would end up releasing them in yet another different shade of executive dark grey!