The trackwork is looking great Jeremy, a full length WCML rake will look smart snaking across all that pointwork, or a 12 car EMU!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon. I really hope revolution trains get enough takers for the class 321 as I could do with a few. I've got my eye on a couple of 150's that I'd like so I can cut and shut them into a 317. I'll try and take some photos of some stock on the layout later.

Cav is doing a wonderful job of my 86's, so they will be appearing soon! Can't wait!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I like it! I do like it when someone goes that step further with diesel/electric traction. 2mm/fine N seems the realm of the kettle brigade usually. This layout is going to really look the business!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Looking great Jeremy.

Shouldn't be long until it's all finished then!?!

;)

Thanks branchie. Just one or two bits of track to be laid and then it's on to wiring. I can't wait to run my first train. I also have the stool board to build which is near on 2 meters in length. Should look great once done though.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I like it! I do like it when someone goes that step further with diesel/electric traction. 2mm/fine N seems the realm of the kettle brigade usually. This layout is going to really look the business!

Thanks Cav. Just posing a bit of stock already seems to create the atmosphere of Euston.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see that the S and C is progressing well, hand built track always has a nice sinuous flow to it, which is highlighted by a train snaking it's way across it.

I think we have to be very grateful to Martin for the excellent tool that Templot is, to help achieve such result's.

I look forward to the first loco running.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks mate. Not looking forward to wiring them up and it's certainly going to test my soldering skills. As always when soldering, solder paste will be my best friend!

This worries me slightly, from experience it is impossible to get rid of the excess flux from solder paste if it is used in situ, I would try soldering a bit of track on a separate (non-layout) bit of board as soon as possible and then leave it to see whether the flux causes the track to corrode while you build the rest of the track on the layout.

Better to be safe than sorry

Andi

I use solder paste for copperclad in situ construction and haven't had any trouble. I do understand the concerns though as there is a lot of flux swimming around and it can get messy. I like to scrub the track up after with a toothbrush and a bicarbonate of soda mix to kill the acid. Once rinsed down and allowed to dry I'm pretty worry free. I wouldn't use it for wiring track though I have to admit. I like proper solder there for strength.

Jeremy

In 4 mm I solder dropper wires without any reaction from the plastic chairs, though it may be different for the smaller 2 mm ones. I use normal solder (low melt may be better), lots of liquid flux and tin both parts. In and out very quickly with a hot iron and small amounts of solder

Edited by hayfield

Jeremy

In 4 mm I solder dropper wires without any reaction from the plastic chairs, though it may be different for the smaller 2 mm ones. I use normal solder (low melt may be better), lots of liquid flux and tin both parts. In and out very quickly with a hot iron and small amounts of solder

The tining part is really important as I find the two parts take quicker and also forms a very strong bond.