Templot is a super track building tool and can equally be used by those who just want to print off the odd template (plan) which in most cases is very simple or as Cornish Jez and others have done make a full track plan.

As for coming over to the dark side, track building can be very rewarding, especially if you want to unwind after a busy day at work

Cornish Jez , very impressive piece of work, I and it seems others are enjoying your posts

• Like 2

Templot is a super track building tool and can equally be used by those who just want to print off the odd template (plan) which in most cases is very simple or as Cornish Jez and others have done make a full track plan.

As for coming over to the dark side, track building can be very rewarding, especially if you want to unwind after a busy day at work

Cornish Jez , very impressive piece of work, I and it seems others are enjoying your posts

I would be lost without it. It's as important to layout building as a saw and bottle of PVA glue.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice so far. Here is a little bit more of an update. More of the sleepers have been laid in readiness for more turnout building. I've also laid the track to the approach of platform 4. I now have the next 4 turnouts (including the first double slip) to build so that should keep me going for the next few evenings!

I must say, I'm not looking forward to wiring it all up!

post-10222-0-58973400-1446022086_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-31176100-1446022135_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

Hi Jeremy,

Your track work is looking superb ............... just a quick question, if I may, about the handbuilt track on the template, do you leave the template in place and simply ballast on top of it or do you have a means of replacing the template before ballasting?

Regards

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice so far. Here is a little bit more of an update. More of the sleepers have been laid in readiness for more turnout building. I've also laid the track to the approach of platform 4. I now have the next 4 turnouts (including the first double slip) to build so that should keep me going for the next few evenings!

I must say, I'm not looking forward to wiring it all up!

attachicon.gifEuston1.JPG

attachicon.gifEuston2.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Wiring, what fun!

Looking good though buddy.

Hi Jeremy,

Your track work is looking superb ............... just a quick question, if I may, about the handbuilt track on the template, do you leave the template in place and simply ballast on top of it or do you have a means of replacing the template before ballasting?

Regards

Hi,

The plan rests in place and I'll just add the platforms and ballast over the top. There's also all the ground detail to add in first like the concrete cable tray trunking, the water taps and hoses, catenary masts etc before I start the ballasting.

Oh, and all those rails to paint!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

When building turnouts, I fit droppers as I go and mark what they are on the underside. This helps in the wiring up as you can put the board on its side and also makes it easier to conceal the droppers.

Excellent progress, by the way.

Thanks. I'm hoping to wire at the end and sketch a basic track plan on the underside as I go so I know where all the turnouts are. On a previous project, I tried fixing the droppers to the rails first and then adding to the board but I always had trouble lining up the track and then the holes for the droppers so on this one I decided to do it all at the end.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The plan rests in place and I'll just add the platforms and ballast over the top. There's also all the ground detail to add in first like the concrete cable tray trunking, the water taps and hoses, catenary masts etc before I start the ballasting.

Oh, and all those rails to paint!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Ballast before you put the overhead in, trust me on this...

Andi

Ballast before you put the overhead in, trust me on this...

Andi

I'm with Dagworth on that one.

How do get round fixing the gantries in place once the ballast is down? Do you clear a small section, then fix the gantry and re-ballast around? I was thinking of just fixing the gantries and then ballasting, then put all the wires in.

I can see that the gantries will get in the way quite a bit but I'm open to suggestions on this.

• RMweb Gold

I drill the holes for the portals and masts straight through the ballast and then glue the uprights in by filling the hole with more ballast and use dilute PVA to fix it. (a blob of blu-tac around the base of the mast under the board stops the ballast and glue ending up all over the floor and holds the mast while the glue sets.) I have discovered that I can get a portal out without damage if needed by heating the bottom of the leg with a soldering iron, the heat melts the glue.

Once I'm completely happy with everything then I go back and add the 'concrete' bases from Milliput filler.

Andi

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this 1985 cab ride Euston - Liverpool Lime Street. Already watched the first 35 minutes and there is some nice and very interesting commentary from the cab staff. Well worth watching!

Bet the lineside scenery has changed dramatically since this was taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roj6FOtb-oI

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy,

Great video, not watched that for around 25-26 years. Managed to borrow a copy from a friend when I was at High School around 1989!

Cheers

Simon

The RailScene cab rides were great, Kings Cross to York is another, lasts about 3 an a half hours, I had a few on vhs an now DVD, a lot of them are now on YouTube, which is good as the ones I never bought because I didn't fancy them I've now watched and they're really enjoyable.

Cheers, Paul