Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Good idea, testing as you go, Andy.

As you said elsewhere, at least you can gain easy access to your boards - it's something I'll be working on, given the more "modular" nature of the KL2 plan.

Rapid progress, as always.

Jeff

Note to self... turn boards over rather than kneel on the floor and try to connect everything from underneath. Doh.

Note to self... turn boards over rather than kneel on the floor and try to connect everything from underneath. Doh.

that's what I am doing - I haven't fitted the legs yet and am doing all the wiring while the boards are upside down. I basically solder the wires onto the tracks and then feed them down to under the board. once all the feeders are done i turn the boards upside down and then wire it up to the bus wires. after i have finished the wiring i will fit the legs to the boards, and then no wiring will need to be done from upside down. this also makes screwing the point motors in a whole lot easier as i have the down pressure of the boards onto the carpeted floor to help. even though i am still kneeling, it is way easier than wiring it upside down.

Peter

That weathers kit is for loading cement at a cement works ( ie production ),

Not unloading at a railhead .

I had the Walters kit, and still have the silos in the roof somewhere - they are BIG...

There were some depots that did have silos similar in size to the Walthers' ones:- 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47118s-pixs/6507055213/

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/deadmans_handle/4561224125/

both show the Northenden site.

That's great news Andy. It's always good when you can eventually have trains running. Playing around and working out shunt moves and 'timetables' inbetween completing the rest of the layout. Great work. Time to pull a pint, sit down and have a little celebration me thinks. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi Andy,

Nice to have a chat earlier mate, layout finished yet? Hahaha.

As for droppers, I have been putting droppers on every single section of track between fishplates for years and as you know I'm only analogue. I find it helps prevent any voltage drop over long lengths, eliminates faulty fishplate connections and makes sectioning a breeze if analogue. Yes it uses a lot more wire and takes longer to do but even fault finding is much easier also. Everyone gets a shock when they see the control panel for Dent but on the odd occasion when a minor fault has arisen they are just as shocked to see it resolved in usually around 5 mins.

I won't be in my den tonight after-all, the DIY exertions I told you about have done me in today! 

Hi Andy,

Nice to have a chat earlier mate, layout finished yet? Hahaha.

As for droppers, I have been putting droppers on every single section of track between fishplates for years and as you know I'm only analogue. I find it helps prevent any voltage drop over long lengths, eliminates faulty fishplate connections and makes sectioning a breeze if analogue. Yes it uses a lot more wire and takes longer to do but even fault finding is much easier also. Everyone gets a shock when they see the control panel for Dent but on the odd occasion when a minor fault has arisen they are just as shocked to see it resolved in usually around 5 mins.

I won't be in my den tonight after-all, the DIY exertions I told you about have done me in today! 

Thanks Mike, you kept telling me to take it easy MATE, NOW ITS your turn to take it easy.

Cheers Mate.

9 Motors now fitted and all track droppers wired up on the main board, so just 3 more Motors to fit in position and connect up. Lee came over this morning and we had a little test over all the tracks with a Sound 47 and all seems fine. Once the last 3 Motors are in on this board a start will be made on the Station Board, then its going to be a Month or two of total testing whilst I ensure all the magnets are in the right positions for all the movements and the points are 100% reliable.

Once I'm happy with that, then a start will be made on painting the track and then ballasting.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Most exhibition layouts are secured together for transport.  The end blocks have bolts to hold the sections.  By taking off one section and leaving the other screwed into both ends you effectively have a 'table'.  It is then possible to turn the section upside down on the supports and work with the underneath on top underneath and then turn the 'right way up' and test.  This can be applied to all sections and it makes life so much easier.

Hope that helps, cheers, Peter

Thanks Mike, you kept telling me to take it easy MATE, NOW ITS your turn to take it easy.

Cheers Mate.

Oh I hate people with good memory's! Hahaha :jester:

Out in the den today as the rain stopped work and not play. Just painting the rails on the pointwork now it all seems pretty good operation wise.

Oh I hate people with good memory's! Hahaha :jester:

Out in the den today as the rain stopped work and not play. Just painting the rails on the pointwork now it all seems pretty good operation wise.

I've just come in Mike, I've finished the Main Board and all the points are firing and all the Frogs are alive to the Sound of Music, whoops wrong thread, anyway, fully tested and running well.

I've just put the Bus Bar into the Station Board and that will do for today now.

Hi Peter,

Most exhibition layouts are secured together for transport.  The end blocks have bolts to hold the sections.  By taking off one section and leaving the other screwed into both ends you effectively have a 'table'.  It is then possible to turn the section upside down on the supports and work with the underneath on top underneath and then turn the 'right way up' and test.  This can be applied to all sections and it makes life so much easier.

Hope that helps, cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter. On my first layout, scenery landforms and backscene were in place before wiring which was daft to say the least, as it made upending the board difficult. On the latest one, it's in sections and all droppers/point motors etc were put in place with the board at 90 degrees, like Andy has done. See... I'm heading in the right direction! "Upside down" wiring is a chore as although I'm not quite 50, the more time I spend on my knees, the longer it takes to straighten up again! The moral of the story - always take the easy option!

Thanks Peter. On my first layout, scenery landforms and backscene were in place before wiring which was daft to say the least, as it made upending the board difficult. On the latest one, it's in sections and all droppers/point motors etc were put in place with the board at 90 degrees, like Andy has done. See... I'm heading in the right direction! "Upside down" wiring is a chore as although I'm not quite 50, the more time I spend on my knees, the longer it takes to straighten up again! The moral of the story - always take the easy option!

Your right Pete, that's why even when I was building Bitton, (now there's a name from the past) I made all three 6ft boards so that I could rotate them for wiring.

• RMweb Premium

I've just come in Mike, I've finished the Main Board and all the points are firing and all the Frogs are alive to the Sound of Music, whoops wrong thread, anyway, fully tested and running well.

I've just put the Bus Bar into the Station Board and that will do for today now.

Hi Bodge

I take it you have just wired up some live frogs, you wicked man. I think you would be singing more than songs from the Sound of Music if you were wired up and someone passed an electrical  current through you. :O :o

Hi Bodge

I take it you have just wired up some live frogs, you wicked man. I think you would be singing more than songs from the Sound of Music if you were wired up and someone passed an electrical  current through you. :O :o

Hi Clive, I also connected wires to the Toe and Heel as well but PLEASE LETS NOT GO THERE.

Back to the Layout, and hopefully I will have the Station board completed before George comes down and we go to DEMU next Saturday.

I have some bits on the shopping list for DEMU including some Platform Lights and over centre latches and bits and pieces for another project.

Hi Clive, I also connected wires to the Toe and Heel as well but PLEASE LETS NOT GO THERE.

Back to the Layout, and hopefully I will have the Station board completed before George comes down and we go to DEMU next Saturday.

I have some bits on the shopping list for DEMU including some Platform Lights and over centre latches and bits and pieces for another project.

Looks like sleeps going to become a thing of the past if I'm going to keep up with you at this rate...

Regards

Bill

Really looking forward to it mate, have a few things on my list as well....

Archived