Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear from you, Jim. Enjoy your Goathland visit and I do hope you get chance to do some photography. If so, let's see the results.

In the meantime, time allowing, there's plenty to keep you busy online!

Jeff

Morning Jeff!

Click START>CONTROL PANEL, then click on System and Maintenance. From this window, click on ‘Find out which version of Windows you are using’ (at the top under the heading Welcome Centre). This will open a window with basic information about your computer at the top and to the right you will see an arrow saying ‘show more details’. Click on this and it will open a window with information showing the version, system, etc. Under the System heading you will find the line System type: 32-bit Operating System /or/ 64-bit Operating System as appropriate.

Buy the program version to suit this but generally a 64-bit system will run a 32-bit program but not vice versa!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. It's a 64-bit, so now I'm suitably informed to make the correct choice.

I'll order the software early next week, so expect a few questions heading your way. Another new "toy" to play with!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Are you going to pop down to Goathland too Jeff?

I think it's very unlikely. You know me - I'm not an "exhibition guy" and Goathland's now twice as far away as it was previously!

Btw, the Bunker floor is now 80% carpet-tiled, so the wood-cutting is getting closer.

Jason, when are you moving house?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Get the keys on Friday :)

Goathland is a low key exhibition, very friendly, fun and with some decent quality layouts there. Well worth the journey :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting to read the positional data on New Horizons - almost the same distance from Earth (31.83AU) as it is from the Sun (32.85AU)

If their figures are accurate, and since the Mars feet to metres incident I suspect they are, that shows that the orbit of the Earth isn't a perfect circle and/or the orbits are differently inclined (both of which we know are true) as otherwise the maximum difference should be 1 AU, if the Sun, Earth and Pluto were in a straight line. Either that or we're moving out from the sun and the definition of 1AU is now equivalent to 1.02AU ;) which would help counteract global warming. I guess it also indicates that they've timed it pretty well for closest approach to be when we're closest to Pluto.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Goathland is a low key exhibition, very friendly, fun and with some decent quality layouts there. Well worth the journey :)

If you can fit a trip on the railway worth even a long journey.

Don

• RMweb Premium

If their figures are accurate, and since the Mars feet to metres incident I suspect they are, that shows that the orbit of the Earth isn't a perfect circle and/or the orbits are differently inclined (both of which we know are true) as otherwise the maximum difference should be 1 AU, if the Sun, Earth and Pluto were in a straight line. Either that or we're moving out from the sun and the definition of 1AU is now equivalent to 1.02AU ;) which would help counteract global warming. I guess it also indicates that they've timed it pretty well for closest approach to be when we're closest to Pluto.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil, I gather they deliberately set the launch window for January 2006 in order to arrive at Pluto around the time of opposition (July 8 opposition, July 14 arrival) - to minimise any possible effects of the Sun on NH's radio signals.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great news, Jason. No doubt there'll be chaos for a few weeks, but worth it in the end.

Sofia won't know what to do with all the space - though she's probably already got you sorted!?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill and Duncan, Thanks Guys, still looking through many threads, back again soon.

I doubt you'll be back again soon. You've got at least 200 posts to make in all those threads you are visiting!

I've posted a reply for you in KL2.

The rain has now stopped and the sky is clearing. The telescope is set up ready for a photo session - starting at 2.30am (have to wait for the Moon, you know!) Anything half-decent (astronomically, I mean!) and I'll post it tomorrow. For anybody interested, Uranus is about 2 degrees north of the Moon in the early hours of Thursday....

Jeff

• Like 4

I doubt you'll be back again soon. You've got at least 200 posts to make in all those threads you are visiting!

I've posted a reply for you in KL2.

The rain has now stopped and the sky is clearing. The telescope is set up ready for a photo session - starting at 2.30am (have to wait for the Moon, you know!) Anything half-decent (astronomically, I mean!) and I'll post it tomorrow. For anybody interested, Uranus is about 2 degrees north of the Moon in the early hours of Thursday....

Jeff

Clear skies following a warm, dry day. Currently resisting the urge to kick a certain large brown box awaiting collection!

THINKS! In the meantime I do believe I'll go over to YouTube and say rude things to the alien conspiracy mob! END OF THINKS!

Have Fun!

Bill :devil:

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Morning folks,

Good to see you back Andy!

Jeff, thanks for the interesting information as usual.

Not sure I'll post much later today as at midnight, my birthday began and you might guess that I'm absolutely delighted. I've now set myself a new target, to reach the next one! Lots of people are expected to visit (I'm told!) and there is quite a lot of bubbly chilling in the fridge.

Back again when I've sobered up!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just logged on despite the fact that I've been up since 1.30. 3 hours outside and the last 5 hours processing photos - and still not halfway through!

So a belated Happy Birthday to Jock. Here's to many happy returns, as they say!

Jeff