Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Nine guitars, three keyboards and four amps on one stage?  Sounds like a Status Quo gig!

One of the first albums I ever bought was Status Quo's "Hello" from 1973. The songs "Caroline" and "Claudie" really took my fancy and I drove my parents mad with repeat plays.

Still love 'em to this day!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Regarding teachers and enthusiasm. I've always thought that if you love a subject then you should convey your love of the subject by positivity, inclusivity and spontaneity. 

I once had a discussion with a science Ofsted inspector who pointed out that my lesson seemed to deviate away from the central theme at regular intervals. I pointed out that I always made a point to try to answer any relevant question asked of me by members of the class. Surely, I said, it'd be a kick in the teeth to some keen 13 year old if I simply retorted "sorry, can't answer that, that information is in 6 lessons time"....

If you can't be enthusiastic about your subject and draw people into it, with the occasional bit of awe and inspiration, then you shouldn't be teaching it!

Just been looking at Saturn, low down in the southern sky in Scorpius.

Jeff

• Like 4

One of the first albums I ever bought was Status Quo's "Hello" from 1973. The songs "Caroline" and "Claudie" really took my fancy and I drove my parents mad with repeat plays.

Still love 'em to this day!

Jeff

The very first record I bought was 'Bits and Pieces' by the Dave Clark 5 which turned out to be somewhat prophetic! Its how the record player (a 4th hand Dansette) ended up after constant replays. Fortunately for my future musical experience the next record player included headphones!

Regards

Bill

• Like 4

Regarding teachers and enthusiasm. I've always thought that if you love a subject then you should convey your love of the subject by positivity, inclusivity and spontaneity. 

I once had a discussion with a science Ofsted inspector who pointed out that my lesson seemed to deviate away from the central theme at regular intervals. I pointed out that I always made a point to try to answer any relevant question asked of me by members of the class. Surely, I said, it'd be a kick in the teeth to some keen 13 year old if I simply retorted "sorry, can't answer that, that information is in 6 lessons time"....

If you can't be enthusiastic about your subject and draw people into it, with the occasional bit of awe and inspiration, then you shouldn't be teaching it!

Just been looking at Saturn, low down in the southern sky in Scorpius.

Jeff

Good for you Jeff! I don't think most people including the so-called regulators realize what a profound affect a teacher can have on a young mind! When I was at school my maths teacher was one of what I usually call the Grey Men, and he was. Grey outlook, grey personality and grey teaching methods (i.e. I speak, you shut up and listen!) which is why I frequently resort to a calculator. The physical ed teachers answer to everything was to strike out with an old, constantly held, gym shoe at every slight misdemeanour (based on his interpretation!), however minor, usually around the back of the head, which is why I didn't learn to swim properly or engage in activities like rock climbing until I joined the Navy.

On the other hand my Art and Science teachers, the latter a keen astronomer were extravert, outgoing and always there to help you in any way they could and both of whom are largely responsible for the course my life took. I think it also explains why my daughter Amanda's (the primary school teacher!) little charges are the only class which line's up to give her a hug when they leave at the end of the day!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nine guitars, three keyboards and four amps on one stage?  Sounds like a Status Quo gig!

Surley only one record player and some prentend guitars for a Quo gig.

I was the Reading festial, think it was 1978 and Quo were headlining one night . I had gone back to my tent, not into Quo, and there was a quite a small a gathering around a camp fire which I joined. We were all chatting and sharing beer etc. There was one guy who just sat there, didn't join in. All of a sudden he stood up and faced the arena and shouted "Turn that f*****g record off." I don't think he was a fan either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While I am on the subject of gigs, back in the day I went to a Chrisy Hinde/Pretenders gig at the Lyceum, in your real Lundun. There was an unknown band supporting, they started their gig with "Don't watch that watch this." It was Madness. All the Punks, Mods and Skins danced through the whole set. We all went to the bar when the Pretenders came on stage. One of the best gigs I have ever been to.

I have just got home from seeing Madness playing at our local racecourse.........I know which of the two gigs I will remember.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

Good old Quo. I first saw them at Sheffield City Hall just before my birthday in 1973. It was a really good night out for about a quid (including chips on the way home!)

The craziest gig I ever went to was Hawkwind, again at the City Hall. The whole place was in darkness. The only thing you could see on stage were the amps, decorated with luminous green symbols. The drummer held an ordinary torch on his head like a searchlight every so often. We never saw the band all night, they may just have been playing a record through the PA. The fire eater set the stage on fire, melted cables and held everything up for ten minutes. The dancer was ...   :O

The first album I ever bought was Showcase - Buddy Holly. Got it second hand from Violet May's, which was the best record shop in Sheffield, she had everything or knew where to get it.

This of course led to the Stratocasters  :boast:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Stewart,

I was really lucky when dad moved us to Essex as I then had a very gifted and enthusiastic Physics teacher (like our very own Jeff, and my father, he was very interested in astrophysics!) who got me to A grade at 'O' and 'A' level in a very short time by working on my enthusiasm. I then found the lecturer at Uni to be just as inspiring as I've mentioned many times on here, he had enthusiasm of Sir Patrick Moore!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Lucky you, any gifted and enthusiastic Physics master had to be better than Bert Findlay, (I think it safe to name him now as he's been dead for many years  - lived in Newmilns, and was a friend of my dad) - but still wasn't the greatest teacher on the planet.  Did you not know him in your Killie Academy days.

My guitar collection has varied over the years.  I had a Gibson SG which I played through a combo called a Novanex which was never meant to be a high end product, but for the type of music I was doing at the time, it gave a clean sound which was what I wanted and gave me 30 Watts of noise.  I also had a pretty good American Epiphone Dreadnaught.  My current collection includes a Taylor 415 Prototype, a very old Hofner Congress once owned by the late Malcolm Lockyer (a prominent 60s/70s composer - mainly films - and bandleader) and I was made to promise to his widow that I would not sell it on - that was 40 years ago!.  I also have an Ovation Ultra from the 1980s purchased from Frank Hessey's in Liverpool who supplied the Beatles and who still had the HP dockets showing that the band owed back payments on some of their kit.  The others are just cheapo Dreadnaught copies, a 6 and a 12 - the former worked on by me and very highly modified from its original form with the frets replaced, bracing shaved inside as it would have supported a battleship, a pickup, and a new bridge as it had the most horrible trapeze jobbie when I got it.  Plays better than many much dearer models that I have tried over the years.  My only amp now is a Marshall ValveSense which is a cracking little 20W with masses of overdrive.

As to the Quo, I have mentioned elsewhere here that 30747 looked after Francis Rossi's kids Patrick, Fynn and Tallulah as they went to pre-school at her then workplace, and we had to go to Rossi's home on occasion to pass on workbooks and progress reports.

Here's my guitar lineup

post-103-0-45542600-1433403680_thumb.jpg

With apologies for the quality of the image.  Edit to add a SLIGHTLY better image.  AND no prizes for working out the date and time of the image LOL.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't agree more, Jeff.  As Jock can verify my dad was of that variety and was a most excellent teacher of music - during an inspection (in those days it was HMI, not Ofsted) he gave his normal lesson, based on one of his favourite concepts of "good tunes" which encompassed Jazz, Rock, Pop, and other genres as well as the more usual stuff in the curriculum, and which he taught at Scondary school and on the day of the inspection was using "War Of The Worlds" as his subject (well it made a change from his primary school subject of "Peter And The Wolf") much to the inspector's amazement, and the inspector's report on him was most complimentary.  However, he never fully complied with the "rules" so never got to be Head of Music.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, if we're discussing gigs, some of the best I attended were a LONG time ago now - Ten Years After supported by Blodwyn Pig and Stone The Crows at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh and what a night that was - Stone The Crows were incredible with Maggie Bell at her best, and TYA with the late Alvin Lee on excellent form - and also the first time I went into a pub for a pint (I was 17 at the time). 

At Uni, they had a tremendous festival of gigs, with two concerts headlined on respective nights by Pink Floyd, and Yes, and a later concert with Fleetwood Mac, and I got free tickets for two of these as I helped to unload the vans and stack the gear in the hall - also got to chill with some of the band and roadies on the Floyd and Yes gigs.  The memories are now blurred by time and alcohol and it seems like a few centuries ago...

Oh yes, and I also was at the "Judas" gig where Dylan first played electric....

• Like 6

Morning all,

Sorry Stewart, my strongest memory from Kilmarnock Academy is of the woodwork teacher whose favourite weapon for discipline was a length of dowel rod instead of the usual tawse, but I can't remember his name either! Have to say that overall, the Scottish education system was such that when dad moved us South in the sixties, I was some three to four years ahead of my English classmates in most subjects - they no longer taught Latin at my new school!

The first 'gig' that sticks in my mind was going to the ROH, Covent Garden, to see 'The Flying Dutchman' by R. Wagner. The first memorable pop one was John Mayall's 'Bluesbreakers' at East Ham town Hall with EC on lead! As to Status Quo, never really my 'cup of tea' but we had one of their greatest fans as a customer at my last garage. This lady, a single mum in her late sixties, visited Clacton to see her old retired soldier dad who lived nearby, and he bought her a new car to ensure her safety as she insisted on driving to Quo 'gigs' throughout Europe! His budget only ran to a little 1.0litre Citroën C1 which had incredible economy as its primary feature, and we got to see her very frequently as the service intervals on the Toyota sourced engine were quite short. She had the car interior festooned with Quo memorabilia! We couldn't believe the annual mileage she clocked up following the band and I have to say that, on several occasions whilst having the car serviced, she sat at my desk and told me many tales of her relationship with Messrs Rossi and Parfitt! I gathered from these tales, that they truly are a pair of decent guys who really show their appreciation of true fans.

Before signing off, I have to fully endorse what Stewart said about his dad, with him as a teacher, and my own father, grandmother and great grandfather (all ardent classical fans), it was inevitable that I would develop a true love of classical music. I have very few clear memories of Hurlford Junior other than the segregation of the sexes, and the ludicrous looking football boots on spindly legs, barely able to kick the bladder filled football. Stewart's dad's lessons are clearly remembered as his 'Peter and the Wolf' teaching tool springs to mind every time I hear an orchestra strike up. He never once shirked a question from a pupil, however silly, and he held a class in thrall with his enthusiasm! My one regret is not learning to be proficient on an instrument, even with a mum who was a gifted pianist! I did become a gifted gramophone user!!

Off down memory lane again thanks to RMweb, what a fun place it can be, particularly the Loonester Asylum, Thanks again Jeff.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Sorry Stewart, my strongest memory from Kilmarnock Academy is of the woodwork teacher whose favourite weapon for discipline was a length of dowel rod instead of the usual these, but I can't remember his name either!

When I was there, one of the Woodwork staff was prone to that practice - his name was Mr Campbell - does that trigger any memories?  Another sadist was Smudger Smith, head of PT whose activities with both a plimsoll and his tawse would now have landed him in serious trouble.  NIce of you to mention my dad's methods.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

We had a PT teacher who delighted in giving everybody a number, all double figure, which you had to remember for the term.

At the beginning of each gym lesson, this number would be inscribed on your chest and back with his thumbnail. He used a plimsole on whatever part of a boy was close enough, it was known as his perfect persuader. I always got number 88, cause I was a cheeky little lad, besides which it became a badge of honour with all of us (wiwerrardwicudteckit).

Another of his favourite games was "head the medicine ball". 

One dark night in a late night drinking establishment he met up with about a dozen old boys, now in their 20s. The outcome was one very embarrassed shirtless, numbered gym teacher.

Happy days.

• Like 4

Lucky you, any gifted and enthusiastic Physics master had to be better than Bert Findlay, (I think it safe to name him now as he's been dead for many years  - lived in Newmilns, and was a friend of my dad) - but still wasn't the greatest teacher on the planet.  Did you not know him in your Killie Academy days.

My guitar collection has varied over the years.  I had a Gibson SG which I played through a combo called a Novanex which was never meant to be a high end product, but for the type of music I was doing at the time, it gave a clean sound which was what I wanted and gave me 30 Watts of noise.  I also had a pretty good American Epiphone Dreadnaught.  My current collection includes a Taylor 415 Prototype, a very old Hofner Congress once owned by the late Malcolm Lockyer (a prominent 60s/70s composer - mainly films - and bandleader) and I was made to promise to his widow that I would not sell it on - that was 40 years ago!.  I also have an Ovation Ultra from the 1980s purchased from Frank Hessey's in Liverpool who supplied the Beatles and who still had the HP dockets showing that the band owed back payments on some of their kit.  The others are just cheapo Dreadnaught copies, a 6 and a 12 - the former worked on by me and very highly modified from its original form with the frets replaced, bracing shaved inside as it would have supported a battleship, a pickup, and a new bridge as it had the most horrible trapeze jobbie when I got it.  Plays better than many much dearer models that I have tried over the years.  My only amp now is a Marshall ValveSense which is a cracking little 20W with masses of overdrive.

As to the Quo, I have mentioned elsewhere here that 30747 looked after Francis Rossi's kids Patrick, Fynn and Tallulah as they went to pre-school at her then workplace, and we had to go to Rossi's home on occasion to pass on workbooks and progress reports.

Here's my guitar lineup

attachicon.gif001.JPG

With apologies for the quality of the image.  Edit to add a SLIGHTLY better image.  AND no prizes for working out the date and time of the image LOL.

Hi, I did a post this morning, saying what a nice collection of Guitar's and Amps ect, but its disappeared into the Intergalactical Galaxy that young Jeff keeps looking at, I'm sure he'll find it with his new Telescofiescope thingy, it sounds like a mighty TOOL Jeff, (Oh can I say that without being kicked off the Web) as the Spider said to the Fly. hahahhaha.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I did a post this morning, saying what a nice collection of Guitar's and Amps ect, but its disappeared into the Intergalactical Galaxy that young Jeff keeps looking at, I'm sure he'll find it with his new Telescofiescope thingy, it sounds like a mighty TOOL Jeff, (Oh can I say that without being kicked off the Web) as the Spider said to the Fly. hahahhaha.

Eeeeh, you cheeky monkey!

And you're right, it IS - and I'm very proud of my tool and how I use it! It was being put to good use last night - out in the garden until about 2am. It's amazing the things it can do!

And don't worry - I think the moderator (which is probably me) has just as "clean" a mind as you, Andy!

Which brings a thought to mind. What punishments did your parents dish out when you were younger. Some of which may sound barbaric now, but made sure you didn't misbehave again? I'll start with having my mouth washed out - being made to suck on a small block of carbolic soap - for swearing at my nana. I FULLY deserved the punishment!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My dad was a teacher, and owned a tawse (see previous discussions in the old lounge) and used it at home as well.

Once when I was ALLEGED to have been playing on the railway (in fact I wasn't), I was banned from visiting the railway's proximity for a fortnight - of course I did comply (or did I).

• Like 2

Eeeeh, you cheeky monkey!

And you're right, it IS - and I'm very proud of my tool and how I use it! It was being put to good use last night - out in the garden until about 2am. It's amazing the things it can do!

And don't worry - I think the moderator (which is probably me) has just as "clean" a mind as you, Andy!

Which brings a thought to mind. What punishments did your parents dish out when you were younger. Some of which may sound barbaric now, but made sure you didn't misbehave again? I'll start with having my mouth washed out - being made to suck on a small block of carbolic soap - for swearing at my nana. I FULLY deserved the punishment!!

Jeff

And just think Andy, In a few weeks time he'll have TWO of them! Not a man for bashfulness is our Jeff! Mind you! I'd be careful about using them in the garden. What will the neighbour's think! I only hope he wasn't wearing his Mankini! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Currently the proud owner of two Fender Strat's. An American Special with Texas Special pickups and Floyd tremolo bridge and a Dave Gilmour Signature 'Frankenstrat'! both played through a Marshall MG30FX amp and Boss PW-10 programmable Wah Pedal. Until recently I also owned a Les Paul Studio but that now resides with our Morgan, a budding guitarist, who fell in love with it (and can already blow me out of the water at 12 years old)!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 6

And just think Andy, In a few weeks time he'll have TWO of them! Not a man for bashfulness is our Jeff! Mind you! I'd be careful about using them in the garden. What will the neighbour's think! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Currently the proud owner of two Fender Strat's. An American Special with Texas Special pickups and Floyd tremolo bridge and a Dave Gilmour Signature 'Frankenstrat'! both played through a Marshall MG30FX amp and Boss PW-10 programmable Wah Pedal. Until recently I also owned a Les Paul Studio but that now resides with our Morgan, a budding guitarist, who fell in love with it (and can already blow me out of the water at 12 years old)!

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill, even though I could never really do my USA and Jap Strat's or the Les Paul Gold Top the justice they deserved, I did enjoy owning them. The Marshall's are a mega superb Amp, George T and I both had 100W heads with 4 X 12 Cab's, I couldn't even lift one nowadays.

I expect Jeff will be out in the garden again tonight looking for E.T.

• Like 4

Hi Bill, even though I could never really do my USA and Jap Strat's or the Les Paul Gold Top the justice they deserved, I did enjoy owning them. The Marshall's are a mega superb Amp, George T and I both had 100W heads with 4 X 12 Cab's, I couldn't even lift one nowadays.

Hi Andy. I must admit I'm not the world's greatest but like you I do enjoy owning the Strat's simply because of the impact they have had on rock music and the great players who have put them to such good use! Same goes for the Les Paul though I must admit it's in far better hand's now. She (Morgan) is turning out to be quite a talented young muso' and it's a joy to see her handling that guitar with such easy. They just went together like hand and glove from the moment she first picked it up! I have a nice little 4-track here and next time she comes up to visit I'll try to record her playing blues (which she loves!). Watch out Clapton, here comes the girl-dude!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 6

Bill,

My youngest bought himself a standard telecaster with the money my dad left him. He was 10 then and was trusted by the guys in at least three bands to play their guitars. When he got his own, I got mine back. He's never practised, just picks the thing up plays whatever he's thinking of and puts it down again. I wish I could ever have done that!  He's never bothered with bands (other than rolling up, playing a tune and wandering off again). His own sons are eyeing his guitar longingly now. 

Come to think of it, he took to fishing the same way, like his mother, he can catch fish out of an empty bucket.

He finds tenners in the street where I find lose pennies.

Hmm..  

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 8

It never ceases to surprise me where the talent comes from. Morgan's such a natural whereas her mum can't bang two coconut shells without catching her thumbs! I started to teach her when she was about seven and it's a real giggle when she puts me right nowadays when we jam together. Daughter Amanda once started taking piano lessons, turned out to be a natural sight reader and made great progress until she decided it was too hard and gave up. Happily her daughter Sara appears to be showing an interest in keyboards so all is not lost in that direction just yet! Me? I can play scales, but so slowly I make 'Slow-Hand' Clapton look like a death-metal speed freak!

Just in case anyone is interested in the silly side of ETI, I’ve just watched a couple of videos on YouTube by some guy who claims that the shuttle Columbia was shot down by aliens!

First evidence is a section from a NASA video of one of the crew announcing that they “have a ‘bogie (term for unidentified object)” and shows two lights apparently approaching and hovering astern of Columbia. His claim that this is genuine footage of a UFO is explained by the fact that his close and in-depth examination is irrefutable. His criterion for proof (reached after thorough scientific investigation)? It must be real because every in photo or video of UFO’s the foreground is always in focus while the object itself is always blurred. This proves that the footage is real because ET has technology which can throw the camera out of focus!

The second piece of evidence comes from a video entitled ‘WTF! What have you done to p*ss off ET now NASA? I want ANSWERS now!” which our friend proves is in fact, fake! Proof? He claims that the footage shows the two astronauts strapped in for re-entry and the third crewmember making the film stands up to turn and take a shot of an instrument panel which he could not possibly achieve because he’s strapped in. He subtly ignores the fact that the astronauts are in fact in the science bay, or for that matter facing sideways in lightweight, fold-down seats rather than the seats designed to protect them during the buffeting they receive during launch and re-entry. During launch and re-entry all the crew members would be in the flight cabin or mid-cabin in the event of an emergency. The reason for shooting it down? Columbia was deploying a spy satellite to keep watch on Russia’s mysterious northern regions (apparently, to UFO buffs, a sort of Russian Area 51)!

And the media have the nerve to call r*****y modellers a bunch of Saddo’s!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Believe it or not, I've just got home after a curry evening with some friends, in the deep south (ie. 30 miles away) near where I used to live. Feeling stuffed now, so ET will have to wait until tomorrow evening.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

The latest guitar thread has me completely lost - never really went for them and do not recognise many of the names of the instrumentalists who have sent you into spasms.  For me it was trombones, including at one stage the now obsolete 'G' which a friend told me music was the same as a Bflat tenor trombone in treble clef "just add four flats" - it worked.  The memory that comes back with that one is G&S HMS Pinafore - real fun to play.  Other than that my first 'gig' was at the Royal Festival Hall (RFH) 1955 conductor Rialton Kisch - a fantastic evening with a highlight memory of Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue' augmented by 12 military trumpeters - out of this world.  Enjoyed brass banding for a number of years but just do carolling at times these days.  Favourite radio programme, not keen on the necessary adverts, is Classic FM especially soothing when driving.  Favourite symphony Beethoven's 6th (coincidentally it was being played on the radio when I was born although my memory doesn't stretch that far back although I can remember local bombing raids later); favourite composer Tchaikowsky and I also quite liked Traditional Jazz.  Spent a great evening at the Fairfield Hall in Croydon in 1965 with a number of the jazz greats; also RFH for Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald.  Just come to mind - I still have a washboard that was fun in jam sessions at traction engine rallies in the 70's early 80's!

Peter

• Like 4