Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Hi Lance Comical 911

Very true, map reading is a dying art, even when it was the only means not a well practiced one. Had a great one last week, "Excuse me mate, how do I get to so and so street?" I had never heard of the road he was after so he presented me with is map and route planner, and the wedding invitation. He was after somewhere in Briantree. The planner said follow the signs to Chelmsford so he did, going through Briantree and arriving in Chelmsford. :yes: :yes:  I told him to turn around and follow the signs back to Braintree, he was going to be late for the wedding.

I bet you were taught map reading by Sergeant Shoutalot as well.

So many people take directions too literally and don't read any further than the first line.

Sergeant Shoutalot was definitely my map reading instructor although this was one of the skills that I found easy. I still remember the rules and use them regularly when walking on Dartmoor

• Like 2

For those who are not aware:

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 then Windows 10 will be a free upgrade available for 1 year after its release date.  After 1 year you will have to buy it if you want it.

If you are interested then I would suggest you wait a couple of months and see what the press reports say about it before deciding if you want it.

IMPORTANT, BEFORE you install it, make an image of your existing setup, then if win 10 is not for you, you can re-install the image and be as you were.

The consensus at the moment is that when you "upgrade" to Windows 10, your existing key will be transferred and linked to key components of your machine. When you reinstall your carefully made image, it may will no longer be a valid copy. At this point you will no longer have Windows 10, nor a valid copy to upgrade.

My own worries are that although my laptop will run Windows 10 without batting an eyelid, Windows 10 may not like it's proprietory drivers, so I may finish up with a machine that overheats (happened with Win 7 until T*shiba got the message). Same problems with Linux at times too.

This is the first Micros**t OS since NT4 I haven't had all the way through development and pre release. I have no desire to upgrade to a mobile phone operating system that relies on cloud storage and logon to my own private computer.

If you want it, wait and buy a disk. Dual boot.

Micros**ft needs satnav cause it couldn't find it's own harris without a google map, Bings are useless, Apple's could be a start chart or a pop chart - nobody knows.

I'm having a bad day, does it show?  :angel:

Edited by HeeleyBridge

• RMweb Premium

That puts our daily walk up to 1000ft in a different light  how often do you walk up Shaun?

Don

Not very often as it takes 5 to 6 hours! It's like doing Ventnor beach to the top of St. Boniface Down 4 times.

There's a grove of old growth douglas firs up there all 200'. It's usually a lonely walk and one needs to be back before the mountain lions wake up or the heat kicks in. I do take the dogs up there to about 2200' most days though.

Here's the view from our back yard...

post-8964-0-54424400-1433170957_thumb.jpg

...and looking back down.

post-8964-0-11960000-1433171140_thumb.jpg

You can see all the way to Mt. Bachelor on a good day, 150 miles.

If you click on this pic it shows Diamond Peak, Mt. Thielsen, and Crater Lake. all about 100 miles!

The bald bit at top in the first picture is the clear cut forest in the foreground of this one.

post-8964-0-46133800-1433171218_thumb.jpg

This one I took back in April around Easter, nice!

post-8964-0-14762900-1433171248_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun. Pawing over his old OS 1:25 000 map of the Isle of Wight...

Does anyone of you lunesters ever spend time exploring on Google earth?

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Well worth the 4 hour climb, Shaun! I think I'd be up there all the time. Terrific stuff - love it!

I hope you're not so close to the Cascades as to be at risk from another Mt St.Helens - as if that's likely to happen in the near future!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff.

Or Mt. Mazama !
The Indians have tales of that one.
...And there's Mt. Lassen down in California. Good hiking down there, wonderful bubbling  sulfur pools.

Regards Shaun. I'd better get on and do some work...

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful spot Shaun. We would enjoy the walking round there. If you are looking at a Map on the IOW we walked regularly on Bonchurch down while living at Apse Heath from the train room window was a panoramic few of Shaklin Down, St Martins Down  and across to St Catherines Down. St Boniface and Wroxall Down were behind St Martins. THe was a lovely walk through America Wood onto St Martins as you get near the top there is a steep face and helpfully there are fifty steps cut up it.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Agree very much with comments about map reading my first real experience of it was in the scouts when the patrol leader thought he could read a map and we covered about three times the distance we should have. Being the youngest I was not allowed to comment.

Has any one noticed how they are changeing all the road signs these days they only signpost the routes they want you to use and you are supposed to go to the nearest major centre then pick up local signs to where you want. I find it really annoying when in towns the natural route is altered with one way and no entry bits and the signs take you the wrong way.  We enjoy driving the quite roads but the highway authorities are going out of their way to make it difficult.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Long time since I was up there Don, 27 years to be exact! I do miss walking on the Downs. The mountains here are forested so a good view can be hard to come by and in the summer it gets hot and will stay in the 100s for weeks sometimes.

Not like an afternoon off providing a chance to walk to Eastbourne over the Downs or to Kingston near Lewes where you could have a couple of pints before walking home to Woodingdean.

I was lucky growing up there as we could hop the fence and disappear "over the hills" until dark with nothing more than a jam sandwich and a liter of lemon squash!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of everyone being able to navigate by the stars...

I'm able to find north using the stars, unless it's very cloudy, the sun and my watch, unless it's very very cloudy, or a compass. But as my dad pointed out to me when I was about seven. That won't help me navigate to anywhere from where I am unless I know where I am in the first place. And I'd defy anyone to be able to distinguish the change angle of the north star above the northern horizon, or the sun above the southern horizon between the northern and southern points of Saddleworth moor without some pretty accurate equipment... so do you need to walk north or south to hit the A635 that crosses the middle?

In short, you also need a good map and be able to distinguish landmarks to work out your starting point before setting off on a known heading. That's the problem I had when. When I was fifteen I was just west of Saddleworth on the Pennine Way and could only see about six feet in the fog (as in I could see my two feet while stood up, but not much more around them). Fortunately when it descended I did know roughly (to about 100 m) where I was; just below Black Chew Head. So I crossed from there almost to the road next to Wessenden Head by dead reckoning on the compass alone, getting my feet very wet in the process as I didn't want to detour very far around the boggy bits and lose my bearing too much. By the time the fog lifted I was at the road, close to the reservoir and was about 250 m offline. You'd have thought that a path like the Pennine Way was sufficiently well trodden to be visible ll the time. But you'd be amazed how easy it is to lose it when you can only see a few feet.

If I did it now, I have to admit that if the fog came down I'd use the GPS in my phone and walk around the boggy bits. While I know how to do it without the technology if I can use the technology to keep my feet dry then I will!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I think it goes without saying that navigation on a small scale would be difficult just using the stars. But I think the general idea was that at least a knowledge of the constellations, and a practical awareness of rising/setting position in relation to cardinal points would at least let you head off in the right direction. Unfortunately, 99% of people wouldn't be able to even do that simple task.

Being aware of your surroundings has distinct advantages. Ironic that using variations in the angle of the pole star should be of greater use for long-distance travel (on the scale of the voyages of discovery) than going from Rochdale to Oldham. For which a map might come in handy.

Then again, how many people are unable to read a map?

Jeff

• Like 1

Ah!

This latest storyline reminds me of when my old schoolmate Karl and I visited America, California to be precise.

We were driving from L.A. Up the beautiful coast road to San Francisco and took two days to do it. We had only been going a couple of hours when we decided to get off the highway and have lunch.

When we had eaten, we got back on the highway, Karl was driving and was put out when I said that we were going the wrong way.

"But, we're on the right road" he said!

Yes, I said, we're still going the wrong way, heading back to L.A.

After a minute he asked "ok, how to you make that out, then"

Easy, says I, when we left the highway, the sun was in front of us, now it's behind us!

Another minute passes by before Karl accepts that I must be right!

Such a simple thing and yet he couldn't see it until it was made blindingly obvious to him!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Sometime even when you can read a map.......

A friend of mine lived Essex.  He was walking a long when a car pulled up with a couple in it,

"Do you know where the 'George' is?

Friend scratched his head, "Umm, No, try the garage."

Off they go.  Come back ten minutes later.

"No, they don't know either.  It must be here, we have booked in to stay for our honeymoon.  They have sent us our booking"

"Let me see," says he.  "Ah yes, umm, I see your problem.  This is Burnham on Crouch, you want.........

Burnham on Sea, (Somerset)!

Mick, I'd be delighted to have a telescope with a 2.4m (around 8') aperture.

Now where I'd put it would be another matter!

Jeff

We could tether it to the bunker and let it float off into space so we could have 4 foot each :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick, I'd be delighted to have a telescope with a 2.4m (around 8') aperture.

Now where I'd put it would be another matter!

Jeff

Mick, I was just thinking (it hurts, but I do it sometimes!)....

I said "another matter"....

Now, if that other matter was DARK matter we'd be quids in - since nobody can find the stuff we could put our 4' share anywhere we liked!

(Apologies, that's real Physicist twisted thinking!)

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of maps, I've spent a bit of time this afternoon looking at a 1:25000 OS map of my area in order to work out my Latitude and Longitude.

I needn't have bothered. Googled "find latlong" and used Google maps to get the same info in a hundredth of the time - using map, then satellite view.

I was 2" (2/3600) of a degree out in latitude and the same error in longitude. But wow, was the online method a lot quicker.

Which did I enjoy the most? You guessed it - the traditional way. And I kept my eyes off the dotted lines indicating disused r*****y lines that used to travel through Willington into Bishop Auckland.

Jeff

• Like 6

Mick, I was just thinking (it hurts, but I do it sometimes!)....

I said "another matter"....

Now, if that other matter was DARK matter we'd be quids in - since nobody can find the stuff we could put our 4' share anywhere we liked!

(Apologies, that's real Physicist twisted thinking!)

Jeff

You can't see it because DARK is soooooo fast.  So fast that light can't catch it up, DARK is always first on the scene.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2

The consensus at the moment is that when you "upgrade" to Windows 10, your existing key will be transferred and linked to key components of your machine. When you reinstall your carefully made image, it may will no longer be a valid copy. At this point you will no longer have Windows 10, nor a valid copy to upgrade.

My own worries are that although my laptop will run Windows 10 without batting an eyelid, Windows 10 may not like it's proprietory drivers, so I may finish up with a machine that overheats (happened with Win 7 until T*shiba got the message). Same problems with Linux at times too.

This is the first Micros**t OS since NT4 I haven't had all the way through development and pre release. I have no desire to upgrade to a mobile phone operating system that relies on cloud storage and logon to my own private computer.

If you want it, wait and buy a disk. Dual boot.

Micros**ft needs satnav cause it couldn't find it's own harris without a google map, Bings are useless, Apple's could be a start chart or a pop chart - nobody knows.

The problem I have with Win 10 is that a lot of the software I use for work doesn't work on Win 8, so what are the chances of it working on 10. The only OS that work with all the things that I need only work with XP.

I'm going to stick with Win 7 for personal use and XP for work.

• Like 2

Not very often as it takes 5 to 6 hours! It's like doing Ventnor beach to the top of St. Boniface Down 4 times.

There's a grove of old growth douglas firs up there all 200'. It's usually a lonely walk and one needs to be back before the mountain lions wake up or the heat kicks in. I do take the dogs up there to about 2200' most days though.

Here's the view from our back yard...

attachicon.gifview up.JPG

...and looking back down.

attachicon.gifview down.jpg

You can see all the way to Mt. Bachelor on a good day, 150 miles.

If you click on this pic it shows Diamond Peak, Mt. Thielsen, and Crater Lake. all about 100 miles!

The bald bit at top in the first picture is the clear cut forest in the foreground of this one.

attachicon.gifCascades.jpg

This one I took back in April around Easter, nice!

attachicon.gifin April.JPG

Regards Shaun. Pawing over his old OS 1:25 000 map of the Isle of Wight...

Does anyone of you lunesters ever spend time exploring on Google earth?

I can regularly waste hours exploring Google Earth. Usually parts of the world that I've visited to see how they've changed. Other times it's for places that I'd like to visit

• Like 2

I'm going to disagree with you on the validation of your key.

In windows 7, when you do MANUAL updates keep update KB9071003 off your machine and Micros**t cannot check for a valid copy of windows.

Put too many of copies of the same windows on different machines? Click on phone support, your computer produces a 15 number code, enter that on the automated phone call and you are given another code to enter in the computer, voila!

The problem I have with Win 10 is that a lot of the software I use for work doesn't work on Win 8, so what are the chances of it working on 10. The only OS that work with all the things that I need only work with XP.

I'm going to stick with Win 7 for personal use and XP for work.

Have you tried running your XP programs in compatability mode in windows 8?

Evening all!

All this talk about Windows 10 is beginning to make me feel terribly old fashioned because I'm still using Vista! Why? Because when I upgraded to Windows 7 all my graphics programs stopped working! A bit drastic for me as you would imagine, a bit like donating the whole of my blood in one shot! In it's infinite wisdom upgrades since Vista (which itself isn't perfect) reverts your graphics hardware drivers back to a form which Charles Babbage would have been familiar with! It's why most graphics bods use Mac's as I will be in a few weeks. I believe Windows 10 is even worse. OK if you want to keep in touch with your friends, Skype yourself into oblivion/peruse endless photolists of the worlds sexiest/hottest/famous/best\worst-dressed woman or spend the rest of your days on Facebook, but if you want to do anything useful - forget it!

Map reading (and the inabilty to read thereoff): A few years back our neighbour Steve and his then girlfriend were off for a holiday in Cornwall. We even gave him a roadmap with the route highlighted. Off drives Steve into the blue while the rest of us started taking bets as to how many times he got lost! Later on the next day we were somewhat surprised when Steve and Co. drew up, slammed the car door and stormed into the house. Early the next morning they were off again to the accompaniment of various bets being paid out. It later transpired that Steve, being unimpressed with GF's map-reading skills had taken over navigation! Which explains why they had spent the first night of their holiday in a motel near Glasgow!

Interesting fact: Columbus landed in South America not the North. That was the Vikings which is something most American's tend to ignore! Pity really! Just think how much fun they could have had celebrating Ethelburt the Bloody-Handed Slayer Day! (EDIT: Just noticed Jock's already mentioned it. Sorry Jock!)

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can I comment on how pleased I am with the way this thread is going at the moment?

We have distinct, but sometimes intertwined, discussions on:

Maps

Computer operating systems

Experiences in the Armed Forces

Navigation

Light Pollution

Walking and the environment

Space probes

Fantastic folks. I've NEVER tried to "drive" any of the threads I've started and I certainly don't need to here. A pleasure to sit back and let you go "at it". Add in the humour - brilliant. And Andy's been noticeable by his absence - wait until he appears....

Jeff

• Like 2

Have you tried running your XP programs in compatability mode in windows 8?

Hi Mick. Not only myself but several others have tried compatability mode. Some of the fire alarm panels just don't like communicating like this. Sad but true

Evening all!

All this talk about Windows 10 is beginning to make me feel terribly old fashioned because I'm still using Vista! Why? Because when I upgraded to Windows 7 all my graphics programs stopped working! A bit drastic for me as you would imagine, a bit like donating the whole of my blood in one shot! In it's infinite wisdom upgrades since Vista (which itself isn't perfect) reverts your graphics software drivers back to a form which Charles Babbage would have been familiar with! It's why most graphics bods use Mac's as I will be in a few weeks. I believe Windows 10 is even worse. OK if you want to keep in touch with your friends, Skype yourself into oblivion/peruse endless photolists of the worlds sexiest/hottest/famous/best\worst-dressed woman or spend the rest of your days on Facebook, but if you want to do anything useful - forget it!

The problem with all versions of windows is that they are designed for the masses with what Microsoft think you should have, unless you are able, willing or have the time to delve into the workings of the OS to tweak it. it will always be cr*ppish and fall over.

Never had any trouble with Vista, unlike the other 95% of users.  Did you try compatability mode with your old programs on Windows 7?

I never use any of windows 'inbuilt' programs like IE, Paint, Windows Explorer, etc., just use all 3rd party stuff that I can configure how I want it to look and work.

You will like the Mac for graphic work unfortunately it just lacks the wide variety off 3rd party software, and before someone says that it will run windows software, I know that but why buy a Mac when a cheap windows machine will do the same.

"but if you want to do anything useful - forget it!"

I wouldn't agree with that.  On all my computers there is no Skype, Farcebook, Twitter, no use of webmail, no porn.  Just plenty of productivity, Database design, website design and maintenance, image manipulaion with Photoshop, lots of Excel spreadsheet work, desktop publishing, oh, and I pop on here when I get time. :scratchhead:

• Like 2