Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Believe it or not I too have a telescope! Nothing special but I will brag about my location. There's next to no light pollution (we're too far up the road for street lights) and can drive (or walk) to the mountain top at over 4400 feet for the most wondrous  view of the sky. My favorite is to observe the moons of Jupiter pass into the planets shadow.

Can't really comment on favorite books being dyslexic as I usually have to read most of it twice. However I'm currently working my way through "Irish Cooking" by various authors and at risk of being banned from the asylum, LNER wagons Vol. 2 by Peter Tatlow. I'm slowly working my way through that too!

Most of my books reside with my son in Belgium as shipping them over here proved too expensive but hay, once it's been read, pass it on! 

Regards to all, Shaun.

That Shaun sounds like heaven! One of the downsides of living where I do is the only place dark enough to make worthwhile observations is at the end of the Stone Jetty, and late at night with some pretty expensive (for me) equipment may not always be the safest place to be alone, especially when the pubs and clubs start to empty in the early hours. The worst part is looking across the Bay and seeing the vast mountainous stretches of darkness with just the occasional light which is night time Cumbria just a few miles away! Still, they get a lot more rain than we do so I suppose it's not all bad! :imsohappy:

Regards

Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Our hankering for darkness would be viewed as very unusual by a lot of people. "In the dark - what are you doing/hiding?" The view that it's modern "progress" to be effectively removed from nature by a light barrier is absurd. I wonder how many people consider light a form of pollution, and I wonder how many saw the problem coming - if you went back 40 or 50 years?

Almost as scary is the fact that we are all immersed in a perpetual sea of microwaves, generated from our wi-fi networks. Intelligent aliens snooping anywhere near our solar system would have no trouble detecting "activity" on the 3rd rock from the Sun.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff and Purley Oaks!

Are you up early or am I up late?

Regards

Bill

Morning Bill.

I'm always up around 5.30 - 6am. I suspect you haven't got round to going to bed yet!

Beautiful morning, blue sky and full sun. It was calm an hour ago, but already the wind seems to be winding itself up for today's storm. Irish Sea coasts ready for a short battering AGAIN, Bill? As loads of people have said to me over the years "it's always windy in Barrow!!"

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, Is this Early Risers? 

Ooopsie.

Must be the fog from Jeff's bubbling curry disorientating me.

.... erm, talking of WIND - see my previous post!

Amazingly, I haven't eaten a curry for a couple of weeks. But there was last night's chili beef pizza.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Our hankering for darkness would be viewed as very unusual by a lot of people. "In the dark - what are you doing/hiding?" The view that it's modern "progress" to be effectively removed from nature by a light barrier is absurd. I wonder how many people consider light a form of pollution, and I wonder how many saw the problem coming - if you went back 40 or 50 years?

Almost as scary is the fact that we are all immersed in a perpetual sea of microwaves, generated from our wi-fi networks. Intelligent aliens snooping anywhere near our solar system would have no trouble detecting "activity" on the 3rd rock from the Sun.

Jeff

No kidding. Lit up like a Christmas tree and making noise like dogs barking 24 / 7.  Let's face it Planet Earth must me the Bar Steward at the Neighbours From Hell Club.

Never mind, we'll all be gone soon and the planet will have plenty of time to recover before the sun goes out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No kidding. Lit up like a Christmas tree and making noise like dogs barking 24 / 7.  Let's face it Planet Earth must me the Bar Steward at the Neighbours From Hell Club.

Never mind, we'll all be gone soon and the planet will have plenty of time to recover before the sun goes out.

Indeed. If we haven't poisoned/starved/nuked ourselves, the robots are going to get us!

On that cheery note it's time to have some breakfast!!

Jeff

• Like 1

While I'm still grumbling ... WHO sneaked this ADVERTISEMENT for WINDOWS 10 onto my taskbar. I never downloaded any of those URGENT updates.

I sometimes wonder who bought and paid for this computer, me or the @*$&ing Gates Foundation.  :nono:

*Normal service will be resumed after protein, caffeine and nicotine.  :stinker:

• Like 3

Morning Bill.

I'm always up around 5.30 - 6am. I suspect you haven't got round to going to bed yet!

Beautiful morning, blue sky and full sun. It was calm an hour ago, but already the wind seems to be winding itself up for today's storm. Irish Sea coasts ready for a short battering AGAIN, Bill? As loads of people have said to me over the years "it's always windy in Barrow!!"

Jeff

Morning everyone!

There are some very twisted people out there. I've always been a night person right back into the Navy days. I was usually the first to volunteer for the dog watch. That's the place to stargaze! Hundreds of miles from anywhere and zero light pollution. Brilliant, unless you happen to be on the surface with the ship performing a 10 degree side to side roll whist pitching fore and aft then life gets REALLY interesting!

I've just popped outside and the skies full of grey clouds over Morecambe yet, for a change Cumbria has beautiful clear blue skies. Curses! I'll resist the temptation to walk down to the beach and just go to bed instead (as you might have guessed!).

Anyhow! I'm going to take Zebedee's advice and head for bye-bye's! Night everyone!

Regards

Bill

EDIT: I was reading a book I downloaded from NASA last night about the SETI program, and your comment about noise pollution Jeff has just made me realise that WE'RE PART OF IT! If we get an answer will you deal with it while the rest of us are hiding under our beds?

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

While I'm still grumbling ... WHO sneaked this ADVERTISEMENT for WINDOWS 10 onto my taskbar. I never downloaded any of those URGENT updates.

I sometimes wonder who bought and paid for this computer, me or the @*$&ing Gates Foundation.  :nono:

*Normal service will be resumed after protein, caffeine and nicotine.  :stinker:

Me, too - just noticed the Icon.

What worries me is that ANYTHING can be downloaded onto your PC under the guise of "updates". 

I'll removed the offending item forthwith!

Breakfast!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So you chaps are rising I'm just off to bed! If we can get any sleep what with this pack of coyotes setting all the dogs off. Talk about noise pollution, you'd think it would be quiet up in the woods huh.

• Like 4

Morning all, all quiet down here but reading with interest, now I'm learning about the effects of Curry as well as the Stars at night, still not seen the Plough, but I will keep looking.

As for books, well I don't read, even the Rai**** Mags  SORRY, Books of general knowledge, I just look at the pictures, ahhaha

Have a good day.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Believe it or not I too have a telescope! Nothing special but I will brag about my location. There's next to no light pollution (we're too far up the road for street lights) and can drive (or walk) to the mountain top at over 4400 feet for the most wondrous  view of the sky. My favorite is to observe the moons of Jupiter pass into the planets shadow.

Can't really comment on favorite books being dyslexic as I usually have to read most of it twice. However I'm currently working my way through "Irish Cooking" by various authors and at risk of being banned from the asylum, LNER wagons Vol. 2 by Peter Tatlow. I'm slowly working my way through that too!

Most of my books reside with my son in Belgium as shipping them over here proved too expensive but hay, once it's been read, pass it on! 

Regards to all, Shaun.

That puts our daily walk up to 1000ft in a different light  how often do you walk up Shaun?

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, all quiet down here but reading with interest, now I'm learning about the effects of Curry as well as the Stars at night, still not seen the Plough, but I will keep looking.

As for books, well I don't read, even the Rai**** Mags  SORRY, Books of general knowledge, I just look at the pictures, ahhaha

Have a good day.

Cor blimey, even I know where to look for the plough. follow the two stars on the end and you have the North Star and from that no matter how drunk you are you can navigate your way home.

Another set of stars I look at is Orion, mainly in the winter. If his scabbard is clearly seen, then watch out for ice on the road the next morning. Habit from riding my Honda 90 to work.

It is all well and good Jeff being able to give the science about the stars but they do need to be put in to some practical use, orienteering without a map and weather forecasting for starters.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cor blimey, even I know where to look for the plough. follow the two stars on the end and you have the North Star and from that no matter how drunk you are you can navigate your way home.

Another set of stars I look at is Orion, mainly in the winter. If his scabbard is clearly seen, then watch out for ice on the road the next morning. Habit from riding my Honda 90 to work.

It is all well and good Jeff being able to give the science about the stars but they do need to be put in to some practical use, orienteering without a map and weather forecasting for starters.

I can honestly say that I'd never get lost if it was a clear night and the stars were shining down.

The vast majority of the population have no idea what's going on "up there" - yet in the past it was a necessity as our time and navigation systems were dependent on that knowledge.

Jeff

• Like 1

Most people these days would be lost without a satnav. How do you think that they'd get along with a map and compass let alone navigating by the stars and various elements of natures compass

Morning all,

Duncan, I know plenty of people who get lost WITH a SatNav!

Bill, your link to the NASA 'Messenger' site is now working well and I recommend anyone with interest in the stars to look in - it is such a remarkable feat of engineering and electronics, travelling as far as it did over a ten year period. It gives a clear indication of the vast distances involved in our Solar System, let alone the Universe! Especially when you consider the speed at which the probe was travelling.

Jeff, like you, I've never been lost by night or day - being gifted with spatial awareness from an early age certainly helps, but it is remarkable to consider how someone like Leif Erricson the Viking managed to discover North America long before Columbus claimed the feat erroneously. This accomplished with a 'Lodestone' and doubtless a knowledge of the positions of the stars and the Sun!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

Me, too - just noticed the Icon.

What worries me is that ANYTHING can be downloaded onto your PC under the guise of "updates". 

I'll removed the offending item forthwith!

Breakfast!!!!!

Jeff

For those who are not aware:

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 then Windows 10 will be a free upgrade available for 1 year after its release date.  After 1 year you will have to buy it if you want it.

If you are interested then I would suggest you wait a couple of months and see what the press reports say about it before deciding if you want it.

IMPORTANT, BEFORE you install it, make an image of your existing setup, then if win 10 is not for you, you can re-install the image and be as you were.

I bet there are not many people that could get their bearings by way of the stars if they became disorientated of where they are.  What amazes me is the number of people who have no idea how to read a map and comprehend directions :O :o :O

• RMweb Premium

Have a good day.

Behave yourself!!!  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

I AM WATCHING YOU!!!! Heeee Heeee Heeee Heeee 

:stinker: Oooops!!  :stinker:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Most people these days would be lost without a satnav. How do you think that they'd get along with a map and compass let alone navigating by the stars and various elements of natures compass

Hi Lance Comical 911

Very true, map reading is a dying art, even when it was the only means not a well practiced one. Had a great one last week, "Excuse me mate, how do I get to so and so street?" I had never heard of the road he was after so he presented me with is map and route planner, and the wedding invitation. He was after somewhere in Briantree. The planner said follow the signs to Chelmsford so he did, going through Briantree and arriving in Chelmsford. :yes: :yes:  I told him to turn around and follow the signs back to Braintree, he was going to be late for the wedding.

I bet you were taught map reading by Sergeant Shoutalot as well.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3