Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

You are a very naughty person Clive Mortimore! That book deals with That Which Shall Not Be Named and is on the proscribed list! Still, seeing as Jason has already mentioned Train Spotting by Irvine Welsh you will be let off with a SPAD warning this time......???? Oh Dammit! :nono:

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

As a matter of interest, is anyone on here using a Canon EOS DSLR?

If so, does it had full manual control in the B (Bulb) setting - so the shutter can be held open for minutes at a time without running the battery down?

Jeff

Jeff 

Disclaimer: I've only ever owned Canon cameras, so I am biased (but they have never let me down, ever)

I used to have a 40D, but the ex got that (!), so I replaced it last year with a 70D and am still finding my way around it.

It has dial-able shutter speeds down to 30 seconds on Tv (shutter priority) but also has a B (bulb) function.

The new gen batteries do seem to last for thousands of exposures, but I've not seen anywhere definitive as to how long a fully charged one will last on a single shot Bulb exposure. I did a quick google, and it does seem to be hours...

There is a line of special Astro-tuned Canon bodies...

http://www.astrosurf.com/comolli/strum38e.htm

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/60Da_60D_550Da.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1550483249/canon-eos-60da-for-astrophotography

You are a very naughty person Clive Mortimore! That book deals with That Which Shall Not Be Named and is on the proscribed list! Still, seeing as Jason has already mentioned Train Spotting by Irvine Welsh you will be let off with a SPAD warning this time......???? Oh Dammit! :nono:

Regards

Bill

Subject Passed At Danger

• Like 1

Ahem,

I don't know how I missed it earlier but I simply must use my bragging rights on one of my serious books, "the large, the small and the human mind" by Professor Sir Rodger Penrose. He signed it for me at a seminar at Derby University in about 1998 or 9 and I'm really proud of it!

I do also have another book signed by the author, a certain Peter K. Of this very parish! Unfortunately mention of the title of this book would be a SPAD for me!

Cheers John

• Like 5

(Canon Cameras)

It has dial-able shutter speeds down to 30 seconds on Tv (shutter priority) but also has a B (bulb) function.

The new gen batteries do seem to last for thousands of exposures, but I've not seen anywhere definitive as to how long a fully charged one will last on a single shot Bulb exposure. I did a quick google, and it does seem to be hours...

Even the older batteries last fairly well- the battery on my Nikon will last fairly well a 3-4 month trip, with ~500+ exposures.  I've forgotten the charger before, thinking that it was going to be disaster, and not had any too big problems.  (except when I forget to charge the battery before going to Hawaii, and then I was kind of mad...I took about 50 photos on the trip home, and that was that.)  The Yashica is worse, in that the batteries don't seem to last all that long for only operating the light meter.  (mechanical shutter release).  Oh, and they are SR44's, which are not easy to find when you need new batteries.  The good news is, that after exposing a reasonable amount of film, one has some good guesses as to what the light meter would say anyway- since I tend towards either F22 or F4- either as high or as low as the F stops I have. 

(and note, no words about taking photos of iron trapped horses...)

James

• Like 3

Jeff 

Disclaimer: I've only ever owned Canon cameras, so I am biased (but they have never let me down, ever)

I used to have a 40D, but the ex got that (!), so I replaced it last year with a 70D and am still finding my way around it.

There is a line of special Astro-tuned Canon bodies...

http://www.astrosurf.com/comolli/strum38e.htm

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/60Da_60D_550Da.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1550483249/canon-eos-60da-for-astrophotography

A bit of care needed for that model perhaps? The 60Da was discontinued less than 12 months after it's introduction in 2012 following a number of complaints from astrophotography enthusiast's about the camera 'dying' for good after as little as 110 exposures, apparently due to problems with the main circuit board. An unusual event for a company of Canon's undoubted abilities. Pity, because it could have been an ideal choice. It's to be hoped the 70D will be offered in a similar configuration soon.

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the camera information. It is very useful and much appreciated.

I've been working my way through back issues of astronomy magazines - I've got hundreds of them dating back to the late 70s. Some very useful articles with practical examples of the DSLRs used - predominantly Canon or Nikon.

I'll let you know what I buy when the time comes!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mick's MENTIONED RAI*WAYS, in the Asylum, do they know where he is? :beee:  :beee: :beee:  :beee:  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

I'm on his trail. Just passing through Egypt at the moment....

Jeff

Pass him some books to shove down the back of his trousers Andy, Sir has his cane out..

Quick distract him .. a real veteran rocker

https://youtu.be/5Yh4clA0_34

My friend Frank White at the Heeley Festival. Oh and guess who fell off the "stage"?

WOW, Cracking bit of Old Country Rock, I thought it was Jonny B Good, but the words don't match, nevertheless it really good, it had Dee and I rockin in our rockin chairs, hahhah.

I've known and been watching Frank play for as long as I can remember, proud to count him as a friend.

It was absolutely pouring down that day! I slipped off the trailer and landed flat on my back in the wet grass, got a great round of applause and calls for an encore. The band and a few other friends hauled me across the road to "Ye Olde Shakespeare" for plenty of medicine Guinness. I made a full recovery.

• Like 5

Sunday, 31-5-2015:

Dear Diary,

Being Sunday it was very quiet today so I decided to indulge myself with a little trip! It's amazing what's on offer today and before I knew it I found myself making a flyby of the north polar region of Mercury, courtesy of the Messenger probe would you believe! http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/ What a fascinating and moving experience, and all from the comfort of my own armchair! It's going to take me ages to go through all the photographs! We've come a long way from that little lad who used to sit in his bedroom window gazing at the night sky for hours, but imagine what we could achieve once we get rid of those short sighted, quick-fix politicians we're plagued by!

Regards

Bill

PS: No sign of Mick but beware If he passes through Morecambe! The seagulls have been armed with laser-guided SPAD bombs!

• Like 5

Hi Jeff! A fascinating experience. I decided to start refreshing my knowledge and what better place to start than our own neighbourhood! It's going to take me months going through that site alone! Messenger was a fantastic achievement and I can't wait to see what Bepi Colombo turns up!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bill, every so often I put aside the 2012 compendium of Cassini Saturn photos or the current crop of Mars pics from the on-the-ground rovers or the orbiters, and pick up my first astronomy books: The Observer's Book of Astronomy from 1965 and Patrick Moore's Guide to the Planets from a year or so later. They are amazing - so LITTLE was known about anything in the Solar System at that time. Hell, I've even got a book "Atlas of the Galileian Satellites" - amazing photos and maps of Jupiter's 4 large moons - which were still just dots of light in the 60s.

As for Mercury. I remember projecting the Sun's image onto the garage door in November 1973 and watching the shadow of Mercury in transit. And then the first Mercury fly-by of Mariner 10 in 1975. The dynamics of the Messenger mission, with slingshots from Earth and Venus necessary to get the probe into Mercury orbit are impressive, as are the pics. Shame it ran out of manoeuvring fuel and was crashed into Mercury a few months back.

Another point - the available online archive of stuff. Staggering. I'm currently monitoring the downloads from New Horizons - only 44 days out from Pluto, and the Dawn craft orbiting Ceres.

Humans are just SO clever when they turn their minds to constructive purposes.

Jeff

Bill, every so often I put aside the 2012 compendium of Cassini Saturn photos or the current crop of Mars pics from the on-the-ground rovers or the orbiters, and pick up my first astronomy books: The Observer's Book of Astronomy from 1965 and Patrick Moore's Guide to the Planets from a year or so later. They are amazing - so LITTLE was known about anything in the Solar System at that time. Hell, I've even got a book "Atlas of the Galileian Satellites" - amazing photos and maps of Jupiter's 4 large moons - which were still just dots of light in the 60s.

As for Mercury. I remember projecting the Sun's image onto the garage door in November 1973 and watching the shadow of Mercury in transit. And then the first Mercury fly-by of Mariner 10 in 1975. The dynamics of the Messenger mission, with slingshots from Earth and Venus necessary to get the probe into Mercury orbit are impressive, as are the pics. Shame it ran out of manoeuvring fuel and was crashed into Mercury a few months back.

Another point - the available online archive of stuff. Staggering. I'm currently monitoring the downloads from New Horizons - only 44 days out from Pluto, and the Dawn craft orbiting Ceres.

Humans are just SO clever when they turn their minds to constructive purposes.

Jeff

I couldn't agree with you more Jeff. Because I mostly deal with fantasy subjects in my work I find it fairly easy to visualize a time when mankind will find themselves out there in the galaxy at least. Then I look at what we've done so far and realize that, hell, we're already doing it! As you say, we've come a long way from the 60's, but even so, these are just the first steps. What wouldn't I give to see where our descendents get to given the chance!

Regards

Bill

Bill,

Your link to the messenger site has failed to open after several attempts on my iPad - don't know if there is a problem. I can however get there via Google!

I find the New Scientist very useful in terms of alerting you to significant events, and like Jeff, I'm running a countdown to New Horizon's fly past of Pluto - nobody really knows how good the images will be in view of the speed of the craft!

It really is, as you and Jeff have highlighted, truly remarkable how far mankind have come in terms of knowledge since the likes of Copernicus and Galileo! I look on it like an inverted pyramid or cone, the more knowledge we gather, then the wider the basis for further learning!

Fascinating subject indeed,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, I've decided not to get involved in 'best and worst' books as I have a collection in excess of 4500, which I'm going to have auctioned at some point as I don't want to leave them as a problem for Joanna when my terminal illness finally gets me! All are in different ways precious to someone, and I tend to take them off the shelf dependant on my mood, whether it be prose, poetry or technical etc.!

Bill,

Your link to the messenger site has failed to open after several attempts on my iPad - don't know if there is a problem. I can however get there via Google!

I find the New Scientist very useful in terms of alerting you to significant events, and like Jeff, I'm running a countdown to New Horizon's fly past of Pluto - nobody really knows how good the images will be in view of the speed of the craft!

It really is, as you and Jeff have highlighted, truly remarkable how far mankind have come in terms of knowledge since the likes of Copernicus and Galileo! I look on it like an inverted pyramid or cone, the more knowledge we gather, then the wider the basis for further learning!

Fascinating subject indeed,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, I've decided not to get involved in 'best and worst' books as I have a collection in excess of 4500, which I'm going to have auctioned at some point as I don't want to leave them as a problem for Joanna when my terminal illness finally gets me! All are in different ways precious to someone, and I tend to take them off the shelf dependant on my mood, whether it be prose, poetry or technical etc.!

Hi Jock

I should have checked the link like I usually do when I posted because I'm just getting a 404 Error. However, as you say, just typing Messenger into Google works fine.

Link to NASA Messenger pages: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/messenger/main/index.html

I know what you mean about your books. One of the hardests tasks when I moved was deciding which to take and which to dispose of. In the end I just packed as many favorites as I could into a large box and sent the rest off to the nearest charity shop!

Regards

Bill

Edited to add NASA website link.

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Believe it or not I too have a telescope! Nothing special but I will brag about my location. There's next to no light pollution (we're too far up the road for street lights) and can drive (or walk) to the mountain top at over 4400 feet for the most wondrous  view of the sky. My favorite is to observe the moons of Jupiter pass into the planets shadow.

Can't really comment on favorite books being dyslexic as I usually have to read most of it twice. However I'm currently working my way through "Irish Cooking" by various authors and at risk of being banned from the asylum, LNER wagons Vol. 2 by Peter Tatlow. I'm slowly working my way through that too!

Most of my books reside with my son in Belgium as shipping them over here proved too expensive but hay, once it's been read, pass it on! 

Regards to all, Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9