Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Gold

There was an oldfashioned plough rusting away in the fied above the cliffs just round from Swanage. As it was obviously never going to be used again we decided to see if it would make a big splash. We managed to push it towards the edge and when the slope got steep enough it started to move on its own. At that point Wiz discovered that his jeans were caught on it. I jumped onto him and the extra weight casued his jeans to give way. He stood there moaning about the tear in his jeans seemingly oblivious to his near demise!

Don

• RMweb Premium

Andy - face North and look about 70 - 80 degrees above the horizon - nearly straight up. The Plough is actually wrong-way up at this time of night - like a saucepan turned upside down.

Facing North at an altitude of about 30 degrees you should see the W of Cassiopeia.

Jeff

Hi Don

I was thinking more on the lines that Mr P would have made up his mind on his track plan by then. :no:

I'll have you know Mr M that I have TRAINS RUNNING, hhahaha

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'll have you know Mr M that I have TRAINS RUNNING, hhahaha

They are probably running in the direction of the sausage factory so they can hide and avoid your weathering treatment!

Let me know if you see your desired heavenly bodies, Andy!!

Jeff

• Like 3

They are probably running in the direction of the sausage factory so they can hide and avoid your weathering treatment!

Let me know if you see your desired heavenly bodies, Andy!!

Jeff

Hopefully in the form of the lovely Julia!

Sorry Jeff, I have various UNMENTIONABLE things running in my shed, (hopes I dun na get a ban)

Oh my Goodness! I sincerely hope you're not keeping R****T's in there Andrew P. Remember Jason's paella dish! Banning's the least of it!

Regards

Bill

P.S. Aren't we also heading for collision with another galaxy sometime in the next 5 million years (about the same time as the sun enters it's final phase) Jeff? I'd have to consult my books but Alpha Centauri (probably wrong!) springs to mind. I hope I remember to cancel the milk!

Edited by Mythocentric

Nice one, Bill.

As long as people realise that's NOT me in the picture! I'm not that good looking!!

Jeff

Well there are at least four Jeff's these days, so knowing who's who is a bit confusing.

Lunester Jeff - "KL1, KL2... etc etc  "

Comical Ali Jeff - "I tell you, there will be grass on that fell. One day"

Mankini Jeff - "I left my fireman's overalls at home"

and

Hugh Jeffner - "bunny banger"

I'll spare us the spotters guide (illustrated)

When I was considering changing career from Physics research to Physics teaching, a good friend of mine - a Biology teacher - said that he saw the job of the teacher as "removing the bit of stone stuck under the door that prevented the door from fully opening". I liked that and took it as one of my philosophies: if I could clear the grit away, the door would be opened for students to learn more successfully.

The same is very true with astronomy, Peter. If I was able to spend one clear night with you and Andy we could sweep away lots of misconceptions and highlight so many things you've probably never even thought about. Probably true with any subject. One of the beauties of open discussion on here. Eventually things "click"!!

Jeff

Sadly, I don't think enough people appreciate how much of themselves a teacher puts into their chosen vocation. Daughter Amanda (Sara's mum) is a Primary school teacher and she says that watching the clouds clear away and seeing that look on their faces and the light in their eyes as understanding sinks in is one of the greatest rewards you can have in life! She's right and so is every teacher who puts in the dedication and time for their pupils!

Regards

Bill

P.S (again): Don't forget Yosemite Jeff, the pistol-packing terror of the Old West North East!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

I am just a humble instructor, not a teacher really- even if I've been at it for nearly 4 years this spell, and 2 years before this.  I find it a LOT of work to try and get people to see the info that they need to grasp, and what is and what is not important, and how to divide the two piles- the # of tubes in the boiler is relatively unimportant (1664 generating bank tubes), but what they DO is important- and if you understand that there are 1664 of them, then it makes more sense why they are laid out the way they are. 

The scariest thing I do is reminding my students that the next time they apply what we teach, there is no OFF on the ocean, and no 2nd chance to get it right...

James

• Like 2

I am just a humble instructor, not a teacher really- even if I've been at it for nearly 4 years this spell, and 2 years before this.  I find it a LOT of work to try and get people to see the info that they need to grasp, and what is and what is not important, and how to divide the two piles- the # of tubes in the boiler is relatively unimportant (1664 generating bank tubes), but what they DO is important- and if you understand that there are 1664 of them, then it makes more sense why they are laid out the way they are. 

The scariest thing I do is reminding my students that the next time they apply what we teach, there is no OFF on the ocean, and no 2nd chance to get it right...

James

Never a truer word was spoken James. I love the sea and have spent a lot of time upon, below and besides her both in the Service and in my current home. I've also seen the results of getting it wrong or just plain ignoring the warnings, including one instance about 18 months ago when I helped recover the body of someone who had ignored the crew at the Lifeboat Station and went out across the mudflats for a spot of fishing. He turned up right across from the house some twelve hours later a couple of miles up the coast. It's something I've drummed into the kids time and time again. Yes it's nice to be beside or on the sea, but be very careful because she'll only ever give you one chance to get it wrong! To me the only difference between a teacher and yourself is that you're teaching people who are or should be already adult enough to understand the risks!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Bill, I've got a @##$@ healthy respect for Morecambe Bay, and I've only ever really visited Morecambe for 3 days.  (I'd suspect more than that, but I don't remember 76-79, as I was 3 at the end of it...).  Grandmum's schoolmate lived there, so we visited in 1996, and again in 2006 when we scattered grandmum's ashes.  Still, a healthy respect of what the sea can do- if the sea goes out a long way, it's going to come back in _fast_, because there isn't any depth to obstruct it. 

I've been the dumb a@@ who needed rescuing too- mind, that goes with the personality.  (14' aqua cat in the straits here- launched at Flea Beach, hull recovered at Gordons, I had both Sooke 37 (Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue) and a USCG helo come for me)

The big reason why I would class myself as an instructor, not a teacher, is that my course material doesn't change all that much from class to class.  The students change, and the exact material covered in each course changes (there are about 10 different courses I instruct), but it's not new material every day for us.  I have a harder time adapting courses for our fire department than at work, as the material there is hugely variable depending on what the chief feels is important this week.  (well, 3 month schedule).

James

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Well there are at least four Jeff's these days, so knowing who's who is a bit confusing.

Lunester Jeff - "KL1, KL2... etc etc  "

Comical Ali Jeff - "I tell you, there will be grass on that fell. One day"

Mankini Jeff - "I left my fireman's overalls at home"

and

Hugh Jeffner - "bunny banger"

I'll spare us the spotters guide (illustrated)

You think YOU are confused!?

Bl**dy hell, when I wake up in the morning I look at myself in the mirror and think "which one am I today?"

And btw, there are at least 2 more Jeffs not on your list:

Builder Jeff - Bob is my brother

Astronomer Jeff - the one who is very proud of his enormous telescope

Enough said?  :O  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Trying to suggest, let alone teach, modellers here in the US to look at real track and then compare it with what they lay, is a Sisyphean task.

Andy

Interesting, Andy. I had the impression that US modellers think they lead the world when it comes to modelling railroad/railways?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally got round to putting some grass down in the back garden. A few pics here, 2 of which show my brother labouring away.

The best bit was when the neighbour popped round with some bottles of Bud to quench our thirst!

post-13778-0-57105700-1432395219_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93116500-1432395223_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-44662500-1432395231_thumb.jpg

Of course, the grass will be cut to shape once it's had time to bed-in and take root.

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Finally got round to putting some grass down in the back garden. A few pics here, 2 of which show my brother labouring away.

The best bit was when the neighbour popped round with some bottles of Bud to quench our thirst!

attachicon.gifDSCF2838a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2840a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2844a.jpg

Of course, the grass will be cut to shape once it's had time to bed-in and take root.

Jeff

So you used hanging basket liner and not scatter material.  Cool!  :jester:

Is Steve praying for rain or seeking out Mecca (Bingo), hahahha, :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Looking really nice now Jeff and its come together well, considering what you started with just a few short Months ago, and also considering the weather you've toiled through to get this far. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Now that's done get Steve on his knees and lay your Carpet Tiles in the Bunker. hhahaheee :no:  :no: :no:  :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's looking great Jeff, put's ours to shame even though we've been in twice as long. And I was quite proud of what we've done until now.

OK... so that's a test yes... we've got to work out where he's hiding in one of the last two pictures...

I bet he'll count that as forward payment for when he asks you to do his garden... ;)

I don't know about that Jeff. There's a sort of cubist symmetry to the grass and the beds as it is!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 6

An action photo at last. (Never any action shots of Jeff though, conspiracy theories anyone?)

Looking better than mine did after 15 years, mind I had a big hole one and a half big holes in the middle of mine filled with 4,500 gallons of water and a dozen or so Koi, plus filters, pumps, pipework, sheds, a wonky path, and a 7" pot of pansies on a couple of bricks for a bit of colour.

Happy days.

All gone now had to be filled and levelled when we moved.

• RMweb Premium

Neil, you're displaying the scientist in you! Very observant. I was sure my brother was in 2 of the pics. Maybe he donned his cloaking device in between shots!

As you well know, I love my building and I love my gardening. Just potted up a few more dahlias - over 40 of them coming up at the moment. With everything else it'll, hopefully, be full of colour in a month or so.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

An action photo at last. (Never any action shots of Jeff though, conspiracy theories anyone?)

Looking better than mine did after 15 years, mind I had a big hole one and a half big holes in the middle of mine filled with 4,500 gallons of water and a dozen or so Koi, plus filters, pumps, pipework, sheds, a wonky path, and a 7" pot of pansies on a couple of bricks for a bit of colour.

Happy days.

All gone now had to be filled and levelled when we moved.

Simple answer, not requiring Jeff's abduction by UFOs.....

I'm the one taking the photos.

Very sensible as it means you can't tell which Jeff it is today (see Scott's post #461 and my reply #467).

Jeff

• Like 4