Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Give that man a banana,

Well done Jeff. Yes, it was at his final house, "Max Gate" near Dorchester.

And if you were "Far From the Madding Crowd" it'd probably be dark with wonderful views of the heavens.

I imagine you have fairly dark skies in Dorset, Peter?

Jeff

• Like 1

It was some Heritage Environmental Record Forum - nice spread they put on too. Good quality sandwiches, scones with strawberrys and cream, choc cake, victoria sponge...........

Any cake left over, I'll send my address, ahhaha

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was some Heritage Environmental Record Forum - nice spread they put on too. Good quality sandwiches, scones with strawberrys and cream, choc cake, victoria sponge...........

Blimey, how the other half lives! Meanwhile, Andy's trying to get into "haute cuisine" with beans and chips and I'm still trying to figure out how to open the can!

Seriously, very nice environment to write your novels. 

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I had to hit the agree button as I don't know what the heck your talking about. Would I need to drop me trousers to get it examined?

Probably not Andy, but you should definitely take your shoes off!

Tell you what, Andy. If you have full 360 degree rotation in Azimuth and can elevate (!!!) up and down through the complete 180 degrees, you're a lucky man!

I'm sure you were once the principal in those Casanova films.... Then again, that might have been Brad Pitt!

Sorry, more toilet humour....

Jeff

If he ever manages to do that without a nosebleed Jeff, I'll be the first to phone Britain's Got Talent!

Bill

Footnote: Call me slow if you will but I've just realised why Pink Floyd called that gadget they had in the early days which sent sound flying around the speakers an Azimuth Co-ordinator! Well! It was the 60's! Doh!

• RMweb Premium

One of the things I enjoyed about my military time was going to many places in the world with no light pollution and actually seeing the stars properly. It's probably one of the reasons that I have never enjoyed living in large towns or cities.

Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest masterpiece

Hi Lance Comical 911

The army done the same thing to me, sent somewhere with no light pollution, the jungle in Belize. Saw no stars at all. :O  Think of a dark room that is how dark the jungle is at night, just with a constant noise of insects and frogs.

When not in the jungle I would look up at the stars. None were in the right plcaes and there were some we don't see in England. I am sure Jeff will explain all.

Mind you I saw different stars one night in Aldershot. We walked into a pub just as a fight started. A punch from nowhere hit me and all sorts of things went whizzing about. The worse part was we hadn't even reached the bar to order a pint. :no:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

You got a "Funny" for the seeing stars. Otherwise it was going to be an "Agree" for the stars not visible from the UK.

The Southern Hemisphere sky is a lot more spectacular than the Northern one, and we can't see most of it - as the Earth is in the way. From the Equator you can see all the stars in the night sky at one time or other.

I intend to go Down Under one of these days so I can see the Southern Cross and the Magellanic Clouds. And Omega Centauri - the brightest of the globular clusters visible from Earth. I'm sure that Scott is very familiar with them (and, of course, the Southern Cross is on the Aussie flag).

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Sorry guys for not being chatty on here tonight. Today has been a real horrible one.

At lunch time one of my customers rang me to tell me that Alfie who I have walked for them for 6 years was going to be put to sleep. He was a old boy and had very bad liver cancer. I was extreamly fond of Alfie.

post-16423-0-06474100-1432158221.png

Alfie.

This afternoon proved that the world is unfair. Sid our 12 week old cocker spaniel puppy was born with a heart murmur. Our vet thought it would be a good idea for him to go to the animal hospital in Newmarket to be checked out. Carys (my wife) took him there today. They found his heart was twice the size it should be with a lot of complications, he was already in heart failure. Poor Carys had to make the decision. He was put to sleep this afternoon. He didn't live long enough to have a walk with our Gus.

post-16423-0-16252100-1432158702_thumb.jpg

Sid.

• RMweb Premium

VERY sad to hear your news, Clive.

When my cat died in 2012 I was upset for ages. A good "friend" of mine said "pull yourself together, it was ONLY a cat!!"

No - she was part of the family.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Lance Comical 911

The army done the same thing to me, sent somewhere with no light pollution, the jungle in Belize. Saw no stars at all. :O  Think of a dark room that is how dark the jungle is at night, just with a constant noise of insects and frogs.

When not in the jungle I would look up at the stars. None were in the right plcaes and there were some we don't see in England. I am sure Jeff will explain all.

Mind you I saw different stars one night in Aldershot. We walked into a pub just as a fight started. A punch from nowhere hit me and all sorts of things went whizzing about. The worse part was we hadn't even reached the bar to order a pint. :no:

Evening Clive

Fortunately or unfortunately I've experienced all 3 of the above. I wouldn't change the experience for anything in the world though

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about Sid Clive. We rehomed Lockie taken in at 10 years old no longer wanted becasue the grankids had come along. The Dogs trust vets had cleared her our local vet noticed immediately a heart murmur. Later I explained to our vet that  she would suddenly colapse and then get up again. He was a bit dubious but Lockie suddenly colapsed in the surgery. He gave us some tablets which stimulated the heart to give her when necessary. Years later we had moved and the new vets were much more high tech and discovered that the link from one heart chamber to the other was missing rather like a dodgy spark lead on a twin engine  so one chamber was missing now and then. They had no solution.

Sounds like your little chap never had a chance.

Don

Clive,

Desperately sad to hear your news, even though Carys did what was right for Sid, from what the vet said! We've had Archie the Westie from birth and he's now eight years old and we simply couldn't envisage what it would be like to lose him - as Jeff said about his cat, he is part of the family. Our thoughts are with you and Carys,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Clive

Fortunately or unfortunately I've experienced all 3 of the above. I wouldn't change the experience for anything in the world though

You weren't the bloke who punched me :ireful:

Isn't the jungle at night great, so much noise. It makes the tinnitus I have at the moment seem quiet. Did you ever work out how the flies knew that you needed a poo? Even before you dropped you trousers there would be 100 times more buzzing around than there were normally. Little things that were hard to break when you came out of the jungle like when you go to bed at night you put your boots on a pair of sticks so that are upside down, thus trying and prevent scorpions getting in them. They still needed a shake in the morning to get out all the other bugs that have made them their home over night.

• Like 1

Right, time to raise the tone of this thread with a bit of culture.

I was at a meeting yesterday atternoon - whose study was this? The clues, as they say, are there.....

Peter,

I'm sorry to have missed your 'quiz' as I've only just signed in a short time ago. I might have won the banana because if you look at Jeff's 'Hardy' post, you'll see my 'agree'. Another of my hobbies is literature, and I have some four thousand five hundred + books that, due to my terminal illness, I have to dispose of! The give away for me was the photograph which came out clearly on my PC 24 inch monitor, that backed by the 'Britannia' clue was a clincher! Clever idea which got the grey matter working, thank you.

Kind regards,

Jock.

You got a "Funny" for the seeing stars. Otherwise it was going to be an "Agree" for the stars not visible from the UK.

The Southern Hemisphere sky is a lot more spectacular than the Northern one, and we can't see most of it - as the Earth is in the way. From the Equator you can see all the stars in the night sky at one time or other.

I intend to go Down Under one of these days so I can see the Southern Cross and the Magellanic Clouds. And Omega Centauri - the brightest of the globular clusters visible from Earth. I'm sure that Scott is very familiar with them (and, of course, the Southern Cross is on the Aussie flag).

Jeff

Skywatching can be magnificent here, as Jeff says.  I was cursed to have to work in our state's NW for some time, but the atmosphere up there is amazing; by day, the light has a vividness to it that seems to accentuate colours, and by night, being so far from any large cities, the sky is alive. 

It took me a little while to work out why the sunspots, and other astronomical apparitions were all inverted, though (compared to most of the images at my favourite stargazer website, spaceweather.com ).  I mean we're all looking out into the same deep space, right?

Sorry guys for not being chatty on here tonight. Today has been a real horrible one.

At lunch time one of my customers rang me to tell me that Alfie who I have walked for them for 6 years was going to be put to sleep. He was a old boy and had very bad liver cancer. I was extreamly fond of Alfie.

Alfie.

This afternoon proved that the world is unfair. Sid our 12 week old cocker spaniel puppy was born with a heart murmur. Our vet thought it would be a good idea for him to go to the animal hospital in Newmarket to be checked out. Carys (my wife) took him there today. They found his heart was twice the size it should be with a lot of complications, he was already in heart failure. Poor Carys had to make the decision. He was put to sleep this afternoon. He didn't live long enough to have a walk with our Gus.

Sid.

Sorry for your loss, Clive.  I had a cat whom I grew up with - after more than 8 years, one night he just never came back. My mother, 85, still tears up if ever I reminisce about him.  He was, indeed, family.

Right, time to raise the tone of this thread with a bit of culture.

I was at a meeting yesterday atternoon - whose study was this? The clues, as they say, are there.....

Hi Peter,

That is a great picture and long time no see mate!

That is a lovely study but I found your clues a little Obscure!

(sorry!),

John.

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news about the puppies Clive. I prefer the company of my dogs any day! They're definitely mans best friend.

VERY sad to hear your news, Clive.

When my cat died in 2012 I was upset for ages. A good "friend" of mine said "pull yourself together, it was ONLY a cat!!"

No - she was part of the family.

We lost a cat last month. Little devil went out and didn't come home. My guess is that a cougar took him. My neighbors have reported seeing one hanging about.

Yes they are part of the family, the house just isn't the same with out Sooty.

post-8964-0-69975300-1432169995_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He's a gorgeous cat, Shaun. You never know, he may return.

Scott - your first point (as you well know) comes down to the comment the Poms often hurl in your direction..... Aussies "hanging upside down on the bottom of the Earth"!!

I'd love to see Scorpius high in the sky, Orion upside down (relative to the UK), Alpha Centauri, Canopus, The Coal Sack and the Magellanic Clouds. For starters.

Jeff

• Like 1

You weren't the bloke who punched me :ireful:

Isn't the jungle at night great, so much noise. It makes the tinnitus I have at the moment seem quiet. Did you ever work out how the flies knew that you needed a poo? Even before you dropped you trousers there would be 100 times more buzzing around than there were normally. Little things that were hard to break when you came out of the jungle like when you go to bed at night you put your boots on a pair of sticks so that are upside down, thus trying and prevent scorpions getting in them. They still needed a shake in the morning to get out all the other bugs that have made them their home over night.

Weren't me guv, honest.  I always let someone have a drink first :jester:

Why is it that people don't believe you when you tell them how noisy it is. I still check my footwear every morning I just can't seem to break the habit.

Sorry to hear about your lost and misiing pets Clive and Shaun,

I think we have all experienced it and missed them over the years. Some of you may remember that I got a hissing, snarling little spitfire of a cat last year who I got to be very affectionate, sadly she went out one morning never to return, so we now have another the third in five years so we are hoping it's third time lucky and we can have this one for much longer.

As for stars, it was when I was a young lad living in Singapore that I became fascinated by them as there were just so many and with clear skies and warm evenings it was a great pleasure to just stare at them. I don't know how it came about but I got interested in Magellan at that time too but maybe it was because I went to a forces school and we did a bit on navigation.

Never got in any fights though :no:.

Well I did get in one, a dog fight!!

We had some sort of Japanese ex police dog and one day out walking him with the lead wrapped around my wrist he spotted a stray Alsation leading a wild pack, well being a tough fighting dog no other was going to be on his patch. Off he went with me in tow and into the pack, lots of barking and snarling from the dogs, screams from me and then loads of people beating them off with sticks.

When asked if I was OK I said "yeah, fine thanks" then a young girl guide pointed out I was bleeding - a lot - ambulance called, forces hospital, stitches and injections, desite the bleeding I didn't really feel much pain which was just as well.

Life is quieter now so I'm off to do household chores and a bit of gardening, catch you later.

Jim

Morning all,

Firstly Clive and Shaun, Well Guys our thoughts are with you both, when we lost 7 year old Lara (known as Lalas) almost 2 years ago we were devastated, even though we knew she was ill, and we'd only had her for about 8 Months. Last Month we got another Greyhound as company again for Sally, he Kennel name was Lady, so she has become Lady Lalas, but its taken until now to get over loosing Lara and finding another suitable companion for Sally. If its any consolation Clive, Carys did the right thing, NEVER let a pet suffer un necessarily.

And Shaun, I do hope Sooty comes home soon mate, what more can I say.

Pets can be a tie, but I wouldn't swap them for the world, companions, company, comical at times and above all faithful, putting their full trust in us.