New 7mm scale Class 47 diesel kit from JLTRT

steve fay

They are now looking at doing the Woodhead electrics as well.

It's remarkable...it's as if 7mm is becoming the 'new black'...

An announcement such as this would have been heralded in mainstream 4mm not so long ago....

Is there so much money sloshing around?....

OR....

Are the REAL production costs so low that the profits for 7mm make it foolish not to capitalise?

Randall

Edited by RandyWales

Yes yes yes! St. Davids could be going under the wire as an announcement is made today at the Wesh Goverment HQ in Eglwyswrw.

We are going to be bang up to date with the cutting edge technology with the overhead 1500vdc power supply being fed from power stations burning good Welsh steam coal, a Welsh Goverment technology expert said.

Come on JLTRT, bring them on. I knew there was a reason why I bought a tunnel mouth that was very high.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

They are now looking at doing the Woodhead electrics as well.

Hi Steve :) ,

Is that the surprise annoucement or is there more to come :derisive: ?

As you are familiar with the JLTRT resin loco kits, can you tell me how long the resin will last once the model is built and painted (or even left in its box un-built :derisive: ) - is is like nuclear waste and the model will laste 250,000 years (half life :laugh: ) or will it 'age'? I know that some lesser resins can be problematic, yet I havnt heard of any problems with JLTRT resin products, but then I know that the tech is slightly different to the mainstream.

Pondering whether or not to sell my Heljan 47 and make a kit (although time is against me for the foreseeable future)? :blackeye: :help: :O

ATVB

CME :)

Pete emailed me this morning to say We should see the first prototype Parts at Reading trade show in December along with bits from the D600 Warship, Cravens DMU & a surprise kit announcement

WHAT ?????? I have an Easybuild one to do !!!!

Phew !!! panic over

Sorry I should swat up on my DMU's !!!

Hi Steve :) ,

Is that the surprise annoucement or is there more to come :derisive: ?

As you are familiar with the JLTRT resin loco kits, can you tell me how long the resin will last once the model is built and painted (or even left in its box un-built :derisive: ) - is is like nuclear waste and the model will laste 250,000 years (half life :laugh: ) or will it 'age'? I know that some lesser resins can be problematic, yet I havnt heard of any problems with JLTRT resin products, but then I know that the tech is slightly different to the mainstream.

Pondering whether or not to sell my Heljan 47 and make a kit (although time is against me for the foreseeable future)? :blackeye: :help: :O

ATVB

CME :)

To be honest I'm not sure but I will endeavour to find out, I know from speaking to OzzyO that the resin is tough and wears drill bits out, I don't think you will have any degradation in a life time.

Sorry I should swat up on my DMU's !!! To be honest I'm not sure but I will endeavour to find out, I know from speaking to OzzyO that the resin is tough and wears drill bits out, I don't think you will have any degradation in a life time.

Thanks Steve, yet it is very tough I had to add a couple of details to a JLTRT wagon kit - it was like drilling granite!

Is the blue resin the same as the grey - is my next question?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here are the revised CAD drawings for the JLTRT brush type 4 / class 47

Looks great but I am not 100% convinced about the windscreen shape, something looks a tiny bit off there. The Heljan one looks very wrong there though. The DJH kit looks right to me though so it's not an illusion I don't think. The tops of the windows seem a tad too flat/straight (although the real one has a difficult flat from some angles but curved from others shape to it) and it makes the windows look as though they get wider the further out you go rather than the other way if anything. The 'face just doesn't look right on this, or very much the Heljan one that's for sure. The DJH captures it for me. Maybe I'm being nitpicky and the production one will have my socks flying off across the room.

DJH for reference. (Modelling credit to Kevyn aka Re6/6 11683 on RMWeb)

post-6894-0-59114900-1448268005.jpg

Ok just had a bit of a deeper look and I think I have found the problem. The rainstrip around the front of the roof takes an odd path where it continues level around the corner and then starts its curve when around the front. This in turn makes the middle of the rainstrip above the centre of the windows too low by a fraction and then when the top of the windows follow it the angle of the top of the windows is too shallow. I have drawn on below what I think the rainstrip and windows should do and I think as a result the windows look a lot better for it.

post-6894-0-26623300-1448269811_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE

Is the blue resin the same as the grey - is my next question?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the blue is glass fibre reinforced and is the one that wears drill bits, the grey is not reinforced?

• Like 1

Ok excellent, it was no real critism as I think the project as a whole is looking great, just a flag of concern at the design stage rather than after the kit comes out and disappoints people (or me  :cry:, although not really my scale being a 2mm chap (I need to win the lottery to fund O gauge), so unless others are bothered it's probably of no concern) .

• Like 1

Looks great but I am not 100% convinced about the windscreen shape, something looks a tiny bit off there. The Heljan one looks very wrong there though. The DJH kit looks right to me though so it's not an illusion I don't think. The tops of the windows seem a tad too flat/straight (although the real one has a difficult flat from some angles but curved from others shape to it) and it makes the windows look as though they get wider the further out you go rather than the other way if anything. The 'face just doesn't look right on this, or very much the Heljan one that's for sure. The DJH captures it for me. Maybe I'm being nitpicky and the production one will have my socks flying off across the room.

DJH for reference. (Modelling credit to Kevyn aka Re6/6 11683 on RMWeb)

attachicon.gifDJH class 47.jpg

Ok just had a bit of a deeper look and I think I have found the problem. The rainstrip around the front of the roof takes an odd path where it continues level around the corner and then starts its curve when around the front. This in turn makes the middle of the rainstrip above the centre of the windows too low by a fraction and then when the top of the windows follow it the angle of the top of the windows is too shallow. I have drawn on below what I think the rainstrip and windows should do and I think as a result the windows look a lot better for it.

attachicon.gifJLTRT 47 cropped.jpg

I see what you are saying and I still think that the DJH 31 is the best of the bunch too. I have the Heljan 47 and some tweaks trick the eye, but it is slightly off on the window/gutter, front end shape. The downside, to my mind, of the DJH kits is the weight and often having to join two halves together - oh and removing the flash from the whitemetal/pewter. So JLTRT should be onto a winner. Of course we await the reworked MMP kits too.

As they say, 'beauty is often in the eye of the beholder'.

Very tempted by a JLTRT version in due course though.

BTW Steve, did you/anyone find out how long a JLTRT resin model will last when compared to whitemetal and/or brass (presuming one doesnt drop them!)? I have heard several conflicting reports (with other forms of resin they seem to last well).

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I'm sure the JLTRT 47 will be sorted, as the things pointed out have been done early.

Now this is a wonderful picture, and it isn't even painted yet. Awesome

post-14906-0-48112800-1448406407.jpg

Hope your rest an recuperation is going ok Steve, last thing you need is a relapse, or injury.

Jinty ;)

Pete seen the prototype Deltic on its inaugural run through Brinklow, I know he's wanted one for a while. There's also been a lot of interest in it ever since they first publicly said they were considering it.

I suppose if your building it your self it will be cheaper than the loveless model.

The CAD work for this and the Teddy are complete so that's why they are in front of the Woodhead electrics.

Pete did say he had a surprise announcement for Reading.

Edited by steve fay

To say I'm flabbergasted by the choice of DP1 is understating.

I mean: ONE livery, ran only for a short time, only really on passenger trains.

Yet when I floated the idea of Falcon, I was told that prototypes wouldn't sell, despite it having been long lived, served on passenger AND freight, and having carried four liveries.

But still....if Pete wants it........