Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2018 at 21:25, peteskitchen said:

I just received a B4 Caen thanks to Rails flash sale! Everything was where it should be, and it ran okay except it ticked quite loudly in reverse, this turned out to be the motion just catching the remarkably thin footstep. I very gently bent it away and the ticking was gone. I must say I was somewhat disappointed how light it was, Hornby's brilliant Peckett is so much smaller yet far heavier and will "wup" the B4s pants for haulage. Never being one to give up, I took it apart and saw that the side tanks are full of nothing but air except for a strange small plastic box in one of them. I filled all the available space with lead, including a disk in the front of the smokebox (bad idea!) Had real fun shortening the blanking plate enough to reassemble. However! now not only will it pull anything it runs so silky smooth compared to before. I'm super impressed and at less than £80 a real bargain. Just one thing that struck me as odd though, why go to all the effort of fitting flickering firebox, but no crew in there? I'm not sure it would be possible to get any in as the entrance is very tight. Also what is that strange device behind the dome? I noticed that the later BR liveried ones don't have it.

I know it's six years later... I have one of these on its way to me.

When looking at the model it had occurred to me the tanks were not accessible, but based on weight may be empty. You seem to have confirmed this. Do you have any photos on how to gained access to them?

I'm DC only and it looks like some small weight can fit in the front smokebox too - why did you say this is a bad idea?