Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

I will whisper this very quietly:

Yesterday I had a telephone call from Locomotion Models asking  for my balance payment (which I'd paid over the weekend) and was told that although they are not at Shildon yet they have arrived in the country!   :yes:  :imsohappy:  :locomotive:  :danced:

• Like 5

Grandadbob

Good to hear but, it is unfortunate that Locomotion has not been able to provide all their purchasers with the same information (and other similar progress messages along the way) by e-mail as the production and shipment of the product has progressed rather than leaving us all 'in the dark' for so long. I understood that good communication is one of the fundamentals of business nowadays. Undoubtably, the product is excellent  but the lack of information on progress has been very frustrating.

• RMweb Premium

So here is the dilema:

Given that Locomotion is a small team who are often pushed to even handle all of the telepohone calls, would you rather that one of the team spent an afternoon composing a newletter with the latest info (given that we were told only days ago that they were on the way) or would you prefer that the afternoon was spent in contact with the freight forwarder, the trucking company etc so that the models are out of the docks and ready to distribute to all those customers as quickly as possible?

Guest spet0114

My problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, see the problem with simply waiting to be contacted and then waiting for the product to arrive.

Simple - if your name/details etc. have become lost or mislaid, you might think that you're on the list of people to receive a loco when in fact you are not. With a limited-supply product such as this, a policy of waiting in silence would mean that the error may not become apparent until all the available product has gone.

That's why I 'phoned Locomotion a week or two ago to make sure that their records were accurate.

There will be enough models to satisfy all pre-orders so just hang fire rather than bombarding them with requests to see if you're still in the queue and delaying fulfillment for everyone.

Guest spet0114

There will be enough models to satisfy all pre-orders so just hang fire rather than bombarding them with requests to see if you're still in the queue and delaying fulfillment for everyone.

But if the pre-order has been lost, how are Locomotion to know to keep a model back for you?

Also, I fail to see how answering the 'phone can delay the Locomotion folk from dispatching a model they've not yet received. (See post#1272)

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the question, then, is whether there were any grounds to suppose that Locomotion had lost any order details for the Single.

I was not aware that this was the case.

Edited by Edwardian

Well, that caused a panicked look through several email accounts looking for this email... only to find that I've already paid the balance! That's a pleasant surprise, I don't remember doing that!

Me too!

Oh, someone already said that...

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Have they lost or mislaid anyone's pre-orders/deposits?

I don't know but, having had very sparse communication from them in the 4+ years of this model's gestation, and also having seen the highly desirable nature of the final product, I was in no mood to take a chance.

The fact that I didn't even receive a receipt when a paid my balance, despite repeatedly asking for (and being assured I'd receive) one, did little to inspire confidence.

My problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, see the problem with simply waiting to be contacted and then waiting for the product to arrive.

The problem is that if one's order is lost and one doesn't receive the model because they are all sold out, the humiliation of being the only one at the model railway club who doesn't have the model will be unbearable.

I do sympathise to some extent. When there were only a handful of new Triang releases each year, and you could save up and get one without fear of them all disappearing, never to be seen again except on ebay at ridiculous prices, life was much less stressful.

• RMweb Gold

Patience is a virtue......

Stewart

Whether, in every case, she is virtuous is another matter!

The problem is that if one's order is lost and one doesn't receive the model because they are all sold out, the humiliation of being the only one at the model railway club who doesn't have the model will be unbearable.

I refer the honourable member to my last post.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't see the problem either.

I think it is called impatience.

• Like 1

I have had a big fat zero in comms from them as well, but I did move house a few months ago and e-mailed them to ask them to update their records and they replied within 2 days saying this had been done. Since then, just waiting, though that's not a problem for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also, I fail to see how answering the 'phone can delay the Locomotion folk from dispatching a model they've not yet received. (See post#1272)

It can delay things a lot. I was up at Shildon on Monday on business and popped my head round the door to quickly speak to Stuart about other matters and in the time I was speaking too him, about 10mins, the phone rang 20+ times, to be honest I lost count after that.

So if your on the phone for say a 1min a call (most calls are longer) answering questions then that’s 20mins taken up if you answer every call.

Times that by how ever many calls there are a day it means your sat on the phone the whole day and don’t get chance to do anything like sending out balance emails/letters to those of you that are itching to get your fingers on it has to be said, a stunning model, but still need to pay.

Plus he also deals with customers questions who are buying models in the shop area.

Stuart was busy sorting out the paperwork for the balance payments when I was there so that once you have paid for it and the models arrive they can be dispatched ASAP for everyone.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

My own impatience drove me to create a another pic using my old Kitmaster model....  in the Hornby section, I presume Airfix made it.

pic edited

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page-93&do=findComment&comment=3229512

roll on NRM and Locomotion!  I have grafted some details onto the Kitmaster version, and I look forward to an Email from Locomotion re purchase

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Stuart was busy sorting out the paperwork for the balance payments when I was there so that once you have paid for it and the models arrive they can be dispatched ASAP for everyone.

That's good to know. I think I'll 'phone him up to ask if he's sorted my order yet....

A further bout of Stirlingitis, not helped by books about the Great Railway Race to the North 1895 has led to another picture much edited of my 1961 Kitmaster GNR Single.

post-7929-0-32301600-1531690978_thumb.jpg

Of course other engines involved in the 1895 races will have to be made and sold by Locomotion, Caley Single and 4-4-0 and LNWR 2-4-0s among others.  :)

In researching this amazing bout of competitve derring-do I was surprised by the speeds, a little over 8 hrs London-Aberdeen, when 50 years before it would have taken a week.  No wonder people were out at 3am to cheer trains on. I don't think Health and Safety Inspectors and hi-vis jackets were around then....  some of the speeds were recorded at what could fairly be called reckless levels. A 63mph+ average from Euston, and 60mph average from King's Cross were I think the fastest, and only the LNWR had water troughs. Engine changes in as little as 90 seconds.  The Caledonian used every trick to thwart the North British at Kinnaber Junction, at wasn't cricket, by any means.

Roll on NRM and Locomotion!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

With grateful acknowledgement to Mike Wild of Hornby Magazine who took the photo from which this below is derived, with my additions and alterations.

With this portrait I am reminded of, 'we tend to forget that the average height of men in Victorian times was 5' 3"...'

I recall hearing or reading this, but suspect it was nearer 5'6"..   in any case, here is the driver of Stirling Single GNR No.1.  Stoic pose in frock coat as with the 1895 Race to the North, drivers were truly heroes.

post-7929-0-13708500-1531777144_thumb.jpg

Has anyone received their model yet?

Cheers

edit; p.s. please note that hardly anything has been done editing-wise to the actual model, it truly is an RTR work of art.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

With grateful acknowledgement to Mike Wild of Hornby Magazine who took the photo from which this below is derived, with my additions and alterations.

With this portrait I am reminded of, 'we tend to forget that the average height of men in Victorian times was 5' 3"...'

I recall hearing or reading this, but suspect it was nearer 5'6"..   in any case, here is the driver of Stirling Single GNR No.1.  Stoic pose in frock coat as with the 1895 Race to the North, drivers were truly heroes.

attachicon.gif1_Stirling_Single_portrait10_with driver_4abcd_r1200.jpg

Has anyone received their model yet?

Cheers

Not yet, Rob!

Evening All, I am please to confirm the Stirling Single is now in the UK with delivery due to us imminently once released by customs, we are than hoping to deliver all paid orders to our loyal customers within the next 12-14 days.

I understand this has been a long process for some people who ordered when the model was first announced but I can say it will be very worth the wait as you will have seen from the images recently.

For those who currently haven't ordered we will be announcing more information on this in due course once all pre orders have been shipped.

Cheers

Tom

Group Retail Operations Manager

SMG

• Like 5