Marcus 37

Very nice Marcus,

The new lighting looks excellent! as does the layout!

Graham.

Cheers Graham

The lightnings certainly brightened up the darker parts of the layout which I'm pleased with. I shall do the other side as soon as I get back to The Range,

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Had a nice couple of evenings modelling due to a couple of nice sociable shifts for a change.

Managed to knock together the carcass for the new loading shed out of foam board. The new one is more to the profile of actually building at Dove Holes Quarry whereas the old one was bashed out of a building left over from the old layout. I was never overly happy with it after the problems with the out gassing , having used the wrong glue to fasten the plastikard, so it was the only real option to go for a complete rebuild.

Here's a couple of pictures of progress so far.

• Like 1

Operator error unfortunately Andy. Used a solvent based adhesive to apply the plastikard to the structure. It has seriously out gassed, So much so that in places its actually split the plastikard. If you look closely at the side of the shed and above the 37 you can see just how badly its warped.

It was one of the first buildings I built so I'll put it down to experience.

post-18515-0-50262600-1489346619_thumb.j

• Like 1

Good Evening Everyone.

Thought it was about time for a bit of a decent update as I Had slipped down to page 7!

Although works been busy there has been a little bit going on behind the scenes on PDW. It's just by the time I've had some time to do some modelling there hasn't been enough time to post. Also it's amazing how long it takes to do the smallest of things when adding the finer detailing. What takes you all night to do isn't really worthy of a post on the thread.

Anyway I have cracked on over this weekend.

First up I was never happy with the lighting on the South sidings side of the layout as there was always too much shadow cast due to the layout being in a cutting. A trip to The Range on Saturday saw me return home with a 5 metre roll of warm light LED,s. These were mounted above the layout on a wooden strip attached to the roof rafters. The results so far are extremely pleasing.

The picture below shows the positioning of the LED's

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The pictures below are before and after. As you can see all the shadow along side the cutting has disappeared with the track side now being clearly visible. Much better from a photography point of view.

Before.......

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

After..........

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The new lighting has definitely opened up a few more more photographic opportunities that before weren't that great unless placing a portable lamp in a specific position to take a particular photo.

A selection below

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Anyway, on to some modelling.......

As said earlier it's amazing how long it takes to do the more detailed modelling. Most of it seems to be hanging around waiting for either paint to dry or glue to dry.

Several nights were spent on the hard standing outside the loading shed which I am now quite pleased with. As well as adding grass between the joins in the concrete slabs I've also added some spillages from the wagons next to and between the rails.

A few pictures below of the finished result...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.png

Some more crash barrier has also been fabricated and planted between the wagon maintenance shed and the screening bunker.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And finally, as I was having a bit of a running session tonight, hers a few more random pictures for your enjoyment.....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cheers

Marcus

Those LEDs are a revelation Marcus, it truly is "let there be light" . 

Do you say " vamanos ! " to your sheds Marcus to get them moving ?!

I quite fancy getting an EWS 66, love them or hate them, they have been an integral part of this Interest/hobby for almost 20 years now .

Normally when I get these feelings, I punch myself in the face, have an ibuprofen and it passes.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus,

Hi Rich
Completely see what you mean. The beauty is I can now have three different options. Main lighting only, LED only or both together. From an operating point of view and also taking pictures in the yard or in the goods loop the LED's have helped no end. Thanks for the compliments on the hard standing. Started the process of building a new loading shed last night so I'll pop up some pictures later.
Cheers
Marcus

Yea thats a valid point too!  Mind you its your layout, so long as your happy with it everything is good!  As you say, it can give variety in lighting which is no bad thing!

Might help if I'd actually attached the pictures. HaHa.
Here they are......
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That building looks superb mate - really well put together.  I'm taking notes!

Rich

Do you say " vamanos ! " to your sheds Marcus to get them moving ?!

I quite fancy getting an EWS 66, love them or hate them, they have been an integral part of this Interest/hobby for almost 20 years now .

Normally when I get these feelings, I punch myself in the face, have an ibuprofen and it passes.....

There almost classic traction now. HaHa. So don't hit yourself to hard.

• Like 1

Hi Marcus,

Really nice detailing, there are some cracking views down the layout I like the shot towards the box from the back of the old station. The lighting with the LEDs is very effective in creating that nice low sun effect. I was just catching up and saw your nice Vid from the Cumbrian Coast. My 3 year old could recognise Barrow from the box as she has been taken to see them a few times when I go back home. I was actually in Barrow on the 20th but didn't get to see the trains that day but did make it up the town to visit Crafty Hobbies and get a few modelling supplies.

All the best

Mark