Marcus 37

Hi matey yes thats MG.

There were a load of faves in the scrap line.....698, 898, 412, 692, 890, 428, 413 - it was like someone had collected up all of my favourite nosepeds and plonked them together.

It was a sad day, but Im glad I recorded them on film before (most) were sent for scrap.

I might invest in some of these box wagons. S Kits you say..... :good:

Glad you scooped her in too.

Happy days!

Your buildings are looking great with that industrial Peak Forest look. The concrete floor really sets it off. Great modelling.

Trev :)

Might as well get in the sad and depressed mood with you Trev.

More scrappers here...... :butcher:

post-18515-0-36313300-1481750586_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-08355000-1481750587.jpg

post-18515-0-11642900-1481750588.jpg

post-18515-0-50914900-1481750589.jpg

post-18515-0-02309500-1481750590_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-11399100-1481750591.jpg

post-18515-0-43281500-1481750592_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-67609300-1481750593_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-68917500-1481750594.jpg

post-18515-0-75309700-1481750595_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately / fortunately, whichever way you look at it, I did get to pay my last respects to most of the class as I toured round most of the country with my mate whilst looking for a suitable candidate for preservation.

From what I can remember we visited the following:

Eastleigh

Bescot

Crewe 

Toton 

Tyne Yard

Thornaby

Healey Mills

Motherwell

Miller Hill

Ayr

Margam

Also several trips to Boothes, Ron Hulls and Kingsbury copped a few more.

• Like 3

Hi Marcus

Those Coast photos are excellent. Wish I'd have taken more pics then,

As we used to say.....

Dreadful!

Eeeeeeh scrap pics.....some good old girls there.......:(

Ive got a few bits off 713 including axle box cover plates.

I did have a drivers chair from 37713 that was being chopped at Booths, but I gave it to the Growler Group. (it was a Chapman one with the base and it want mint!) 

Edited by big T

Unfortunately / fortunately, whichever way you look at it, I did get to pay my last respects to most of the class as I toured round most of the country with my mate whilst looking for a suitable candidate for preservation.

From what I can remember we visited the following:

Eastleigh

Bescot

Crewe 

Toton 

Tyne Yard

Thornaby

Healey Mills

Motherwell

Miller Hill

Ayr

Margam

Also several trips to Boothes, Ron Hulls and Kingsbury copped a few more.

Did you get one Marcus and if you did are you still involved with it?

• Like 1

I suppose one saving grace about the above pics is that at least they weren't REAL ENGINES :O  with living breathing soul's as happened back in the 60's, just some Rattle Cans in pretty colours. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:hhahahhahah :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Marcus

Those Coast photos are excellent. Wish I'd have taken more pics then,

As we used to say.....

Dreadful!

Eeeeeeh scrap pics.....some good old girls there.......:(

Ive got a few bits off 713 including axle box cover plates.

I did have a drivers chair from 37713 that was being chopped at Booths, but I gave it to the Growler Group. (it was a Chapman one with the base and it want mint!) 

Hi Trev

713 was one of the stars of the of the unofficial Cross Country diesel Gala, I think it was 1997, when the XC duffs had the oil contamination problem. Had it Birmingham to Oxford on a Friday night, bailing at Oxford to have 717 to the blocks at Padd.

Scored a few loco's during that particular farce, Including quite a few of the EPS such as 603.

I'm a bit miffed as all this talk of bashing has had me reaching for my moves book which seems to have disappeared.

Can't beat a bit of nostalgia.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

I suppose one saving grace about the above pics is that at least they weren't REAL ENGINES :O  with living breathing soul's as happened back in the 60's, just some Rattle Cans in pretty colours. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:hhahahhahah :sungum:

I'm on the iPad so I can't use my Shock / Horror Smiley to full effect.HaHa

My take is, a proper engine doesn't need setting fire too to make it go. HaHaHa. Anyone for tea??

I don't think I was ever as hardcore as some of you guys and coming originally from Oxford my machines were class 50's closely followed by 37's. Thanks for sharing the pictures and memories although I think we may have hijacked your topic.......maybe we should start a topic......"Bashing days remembered". Somehow I managed to keep all my records despite doing nothing after the Class 50 Terminator in 1994 until I started again in 2013 so the first thing I did was transfer all my bashing records into an excel spreadsheet, it certainly brought back some great memories as well as providing some great ideas of loco's I'd like to model :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've never been a hardcore fan of 37s and I've never 'bashed' as it were, just don't get it

I lost interest in the railways around the 90s (beer and girls took over) so didn't experience the 37s along the coast apart from them passing work in connahs quay and I started in the railway just after they ended (but not long before 47s started on the Manchester services)

47s were 'my loco' as that's what I saw most along the north Wales coast as a kid so I do have a soft spot for those but I wouldn't go out chasing them round the country

• Like 2

Anything goes here on PDW so no worries about Hijacking, especially as the worst culprit is probably me for going off on a tangent. HaHa.

You're obviously more organised than me as you've transferred your moves to computer and I'm turning the house upside down trying to find my book!

37's were always my first love but the 50's are a definite second although, as you well know, you never admitted to it at the time.

I remember the Cornish Centurian 2 rail tour with 015 & 008 back in 93. There was nearly a riot by the hard core 50 bashers when 37673 backed onto the train to assist up one of the branches.

See I've gone off on a tangent again.....

• Like 2

I've never been a hardcore fan of 37s and I've never 'bashed' as it were, just don't get it

I lost interest in the railways around the 90s (beer and girls took over) so didn't experience the 37s along the coast apart from them passing work in connahs quay and I started in the railway just after they ended (but not long before 47s started on the Manchester services)

47s were 'my loco' as that's what I saw most along the north Wales coast as a kid so I do have a soft spot for those but I wouldn't go out chasing them round the country

You're just a young whipper snapper Jim. HaHa I'd already done the girls thing by the 1990's and beer was a big part of bashing. Do one loco somewhere, go to the pub, then jump on another loco somewhere else and go to another pub. Think I've frequented most pubs within walking distance of the shacks on the North Wales Coast. There was also quite a big social side to bashing as well. Most weekends get together with your mates, have a few beers and enjoy some quality traction. A lot of these people are still good friends 20 years down the road even though none of us are out bashing anymore apart from the odd diesel gala or rail tour. Unfortunately today's so called bashers / kidz are a completely different breed. The wonders of modern technology giving you everything on a plate. We had to work for it back then. Only aided by the GBTT (Bible) and kindly staff with access to a TOP's machine.

I am probably one of the people at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to model railways Vs the real thing .... I have almost no knowledge of loco's and rolling stock etc and really started a model railway for my sons a very long time ago and it grew into me liking the idea of building a layout rather than running loco's etc on it but weather by accident or through some hidden attraction the class 37 is by far the loco I have the most of ....  I do really like the look of them as they look like a hard working loco ...

:onthequiet:

• Like 3

You're secrets safe with me mate. Wink, wink.

Don't be too embarrassed mate. There's plenty of drivers who were bashers. In fact four good mates of mine, who were big 50 cranks, are all railway workers. Ones a driver, ones an area signalling manager, another's a signaller and the others a guard.

There's more in the railway industry than you could possibly imagine.

As for not getting bashing, a lot of people would not get playing with toy trains either. HaHa.

I am probably one of the people at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to model railways Vs the real thing .... I have almost no knowledge of loco's and rolling stock etc and really started a model railway for my sons a very long time ago and it grew into me liking the idea of building a layout rather than running loco's etc on it but weather by accident or through some hidden attraction the class 37 is by far the loco I have the most of ....  I do really like the look of them as they look like a hard working loco ...

:onthequiet:

Hi Anthony

A lot of people get into the real thing from model railways. I think it was dad having an old Triang TT gauge layout when I was very young that got him into trains and that obviously passed onto me.

As for your reasoning behind liking 37's, it's probably fair to say that's the reason most of us got into them.

There always has to be some attraction to take an interest.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Must admit class 37s are give or take for me, driven them since 2006 but can't get hugely excited about them, never have, nice to get a new one or something special admittedly but they are just MEH! to me, give me a 47 instead of one any day

however if you'd have said 4 years ago that I'd be driving them again for colas I wouldn't have believed you (or 08s, 60s, 70s and HSTs for that matter)

Also model wise I do have more 37s than anything else too

• Like 1

Hi Trev

713 was one of the stars of the of the unofficial Cross Country diesel Gala, I think it was 1997, when the XC duffs had the oil contamination problem. Had it Birmingham to Oxford on a Friday night, bailing at Oxford to have 717 to the blocks at Padd.

Scored a few loco's during that particular farce, Including quite a few of the EPS such as 603.

I'm a bit miffed as all this talk of bashing has had me reaching for my moves book which seems to have disappeared.

Can't beat a bit of nostalgia.

Cheers

Marcus

Ive still got all my books mate, I was more of a common garden veg rather than a basher, but we did our bit (Being from Cov, I started with 50's then it was mainly peds/tractors, then spoons with heritage AC chucked in)...

I only had 604 in EPS on a tour to Brighton and what a tool it was! 

:)

Edited by big T

You're secrets safe with me mate. Wink, wink.

Don't be too embarrassed mate. There's plenty of drivers who were bashers. In fact four good mates of mine, who were big 50 cranks, are all railway workers. Ones a driver, ones an area signalling manager, another's a signaller and the others a guard.

There's more in the railway industry than you could possibly imagine.

As for not getting bashing, a lot of people would not get playing with toy trains either. HaHa.

So as an ex-basher Marcus, is that why you drifted into Bewdley Tunnel in the 66 at the diesel gala and then kindly opened her up for us all :locomotive:

• Like 2

Thanks Alex. Not quite Toton though  :D

To answer your question I do have a rake of BLI JGA's. So just for you, headed by some traction you'll probably appreciate, here they are.....

attachicon.gif20161213_190805.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, very nice. As you know I am quite partial to some Brush Beast action!

Thought that you might like these;

MU5C7983ss.jpg

MU5C5528s.jpg

MU5C7953s.jpg

• Like 9

Must admit class 37s are give or take for me, driven them since 2006 but can't get hugely excited about them, never have, nice to get a new one or something special admittedly but they are just MEH! to me, give me a 47 instead of one any day

however if you'd have said 4 years ago that I'd be driving them again for colas I wouldn't have believed you (or 08s, 60s, 70s and HSTs for that matter)

Also model wise I do have more 37s than anything else too

Its all down to personal taste at the end of the day. I sign 47's with GB and I still don't rate them . Give me the Choppers any day of the week. I'd even take a 66 over a 47 and that's saying something.

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus, very nice. As you know I am quite partial to some Brush Beast action!

Thought that you might like these;

MU5C7983ss.jpg

MU5C5528s.jpg

MU5C7953s.jpg

Oooh very nice. The south sidings look rather full in the last picture.

I've got a nice Trainload Construction one on the way which your new business partners kindly working on. It looks superb so far from the picture he sent the other day. I'll try and post up the picture tomorrow.

Cheers

Marcus

So as an ex-basher Marcus, is that why you drifted into Bewdley Tunnel in the 66 at the diesel gala and then kindly opened her up for us all :locomotive:

I aim to please......HaHa.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Its all down to personal taste at the end of the day. I sign 47's with GB and I still don't rate them . Give me the Choppers any day of the week. I'd even take a 66 over a 47 and that's saying something.

Ooh yeah, forgot about 20s, now those are fun!