Marcus 37

Great modelling Marcus wish mine was as good as yours

Thanks Craig

Don't worry mate. Mine wasnt always this good. Not really sure if it is now from a personal point of view. I've picked up a hell of a lot since coming on RMweb.

There's a lot of good modellers on here who are really helpful such as Al, Andy P and Cav (RBE) . These guys have really helped me hone my modelling skills. Never be afraid to ask if you want help with something as many of us are more than happy to help.

All the best

Marcus

• Like 3

The shed's looking great Marcus, nice work!

Are you planning any roof detail? Railings, ladders, vents etc?

I'd quite like to use my old Hornby diesel depot as a base for an 'enhanced' and extended version to sit in my yard and wondering where to get some of those sort of details.

Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

Talking roofs I'd probably have gone for a standing seam on that. As for ladders etc on a new build like that I would think maybe a mesh one near the apex each side but more likely just two mansafe lines these days.

The shed's looking great Marcus, nice work!

Are you planning any roof detail? Railings, ladders, vents etc?

I'd quite like to use my old Hornby diesel depot as a base for an 'enhanced' and extended version to sit in my yard and wondering where to get some of those sort of details.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

It's based on the wagon maintenance shed in Dove Holes quarry which as can be seen from above doesn't have any vents or railings etc. As it's purely for wagon repairs it probably doesn't need them due to no diesel fumes etc.

Here's a shot of the shed from the air taken from Google Earth.

post-18515-0-39906600-1480603108_thumb.jpeg

The Hornby shed is great for kit bashing. Good suppliers for detailing are the likes of Knightwing, Plastruct and Slaters.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Talking roofs I'd probably have gone for a standing seam on that. As for ladders etc on a new build like that I would think maybe a mesh one near the apex each side but more likely just two mansafe lines these days.

I admit a standing seam would have looked nice but just went for the standard ridge sheets as per the prototype.

I was thinking about whilst looking at the Plastruct stand yesterday.

post-18515-0-95719100-1480603680.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks great Marcus.......it's your dusty weathering that I'm looking forward to ;)

Thanks Adrian.

Going to have a practice at that before attacking the sheds. Think it probably needs a different approach to the method I use on the stone. Also I think this needs to be more dust than rust.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Hi Al

I know what you mean. I could never get them right either, so I invested in a nice little modellers mitre box. One of the best £5 I,ve ever spent.

I've just put the heater on in the shed so I'm going for a coat of primer now.

Cheers

Marcus

Oooohhh  ...  you will look smart.    :jester: :jester:

J

It's cold out, but need hat, coat, scarf  ......   

Had a couple of days off from work so I've managed to do a bit more on the wagon maintenance shed. This has included fitting the glazing, roller shutter doors in various stages of openness and adding spot lamps above the doors. The glazing was made up of clear Plasticard with Microstrip added as glazing strips. They were then fixed in place with Clearglaze.

I'm off om Saturday so I'm hoping to get up into the loft and put it in situ. Eventually when I get the required detailing bits I plan on doing a fully detailed interior which will include over head crane and the Bachmann lifting jacks I aquired sometime back.

Anyway here's some pictures so far...... 

post-18515-0-04571900-1481227435_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-94709700-1481227436_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-90999800-1481227437_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-13638100-1481227439_thumb.jpg

I'll try and get some pictures on Saturday of it in situ on the layout

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 5

Hi Marcus, seeing your photos of the wagon maintenance shed prompted me to recall that I took some photos of it some years ago one Sunday morning. So just to show you what it looks like from the other side....

HTH Paul

post-6706-0-32396100-1481228316_thumb.jpg

post-6706-0-48761400-1481228343_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Blimey. How did you get there then? Considering it was all a bit of guess work from google earth and some distant shots of the front. I didn't do too badly. I might add the flue to add a bit of interest as I didn't know that was on the real one. You've come up trumps again Paul. Really useful pictures indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

That would be telling! :no: Nah I just followed the footpath that starts at the road and crosses the top of the Dove Holes tunnel mouth and just kept going until I came to the fenceline and followed it down from there. Not sure if you can still get up there but the stile and footpath sign are still there when I passed on foot a few weeks ago walking to Peak Dale along the road. You have done well Marcus with your model keep going. My own Speedlow layout is very much on the back-burner atm due to several things so good to see yours coming along nicely.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1