Marcus 37

Hi Mate, The puddles look really good, and the reflections are spot on. Nice set of Draws you have there matey, I always like a pair of pretty Pink Draws, but not on me. hahhaha

I'm with you there Andy regarding the pink drawers. I always find them very uncomfortable!! :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

There is now, Neil....

I've spent a couple of days up at Bardon Hill quarry with work this week. Mainly shunting the yard and training on the Class 59. I'll pop up some pics of that in a bit. Whilst there though, I did take some photo's of the concrete hard standing along side the sidings. A great bit of inspiration for the hard standing areas with in Peakdale Quarry. So today I've done a bit of experimenting with some plastikard. Here's the reference pictures that I took below.

post-18515-0-55470900-1477161661_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-46375400-1477161672_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-92388900-1477161681_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-04345000-1477161699_thumb.jpeg

From a rough measurement using my feet. (The wagon fitters probably thought I had gone mad) I estimated the hardstanding had been cast in 3m x 6m sections.

Immediately evident is the lines in the concrete where it has been tamped when it was laid. It's obvious that these collect a lot of dirt which highlights them even more.

So first off I cut a piece of plastikard to the required size. To replicate the tamping marks I attacked the surface with a wire brush.

post-18515-0-70491100-1477162636_thumb.jpeg

Once cleaned up and the dust removed it was given a coat of concrete colour and left to dry.

Once dry it was given several washes of varying colours to pick out the undulations in the surface.

The finished article is below.

post-18515-0-99909800-1477161706_thumb.jpeg

I am quite pleased with the outcome although I may adjust the colours slightly. As this is just a test piece to see how the surface looked. Any comments would be greatly received.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 5

.... Any comments would be greatly received.

Cheers

Marcus

Maybe a bit too brownish compared to your reference photos? Depends what's been spilled I suppose, but if you'd asked me what colour concrete hardstanding was, I'd have said grey, maybe with hints of green moss/vegetation.

• Like 1

Hi Mate, yes I feel it's bit cream, the original pics look Grey on my screen here at home.

Maybe a bit too brownish compared to your reference photos? Depends what's been spilled I suppose, but if you'd asked me what colour concrete hardstanding was, I'd have said grey, maybe with hints of green moss/vegetation.

Hi Mate, yes I feel it's bit cream, the original pics look Grey on my screen here at home.

Yep, fully agree with both of you on account of the colours. Only trouble is both mine and the actual Bardon Hill concrete is probably the wrong colour for the quarry as that would be covered in Limestone dust. I'll probably try and get some pics from Stud Farm Quarry for the colours. Whats your feelings on the texture though? 

• Like 2

Hi mate - I think its quite concretey looking. The Bardon Hill dirt is very brown. I had some in a bag that I dried out in the airing cupboard for use in some JGA's but I never used it in the end.

Have you had a go on 003 yet? I clocked 727 on M01 last week at Moira. Didn't take it long to come off the box circuit.

Trev :)

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Training on the 59 eh, lucky begger!!

Nice to briefly chat the other day, I'll ring you back in the week to finish our conversation!

Yep. got the mother of all heavy haulers on the card now. Only way is backwards now. HaHa

I'll get up some pictures in a minute.

Look forward to finishing our chat.

Take care mate.

Hi mate - I think its quite concretey looking. The Bardon Hill dirt is very brown. I had some in a bag that I dried out in the airing cupboard for use in some JGA's but I never used it in the end.

Have you had a go on 003 yet? I clocked 727 on M01 last week at Moira. Didn't take it long to come off the box circuit.

Trev :)

Hi Trev

Cheers for the comment. More worried about getting the texture right on it at the moment. Its just been painted up using the colours I had available today to highlight the tamping lines

As for 003 I trained up on it on Monday last week then used it to shunt the yard on Tuesday. Bit of a beast she is. Definitely more old skool than a 66. You should see her out soon on the Coton Hill job. Shouldnt have much trouble getting over Maddely with her.

Quite amusing about 727. Ironically I had 711 on 4L22 the week before!

I'll pop some pics up of 003 in a minute.

Cheers

Marcus

I think that looks a cracking job Marcus, I reckon the texture is just right, and you can always adjust the colours to suite, once it's in place.

Nice work mate!

Al.

Thanks Al. Always value your input. Might have to do some investigative work for the colouring whilst I'm up next week.

See you next week 

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Hi Marcus,

Nice class 59 pics. My brother drove one the other day while I was over there and he said he really likes them better than a class 66.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Funnily enough, so do I. She seems to ride better and definitely has more grunt. I'm looking forward to taking her up to Coton Hill at Shrewsbury as its a good old climb from Wellington up to Madeley Junction.

Hope you had enjoyable stay over here.

Cheers

Marcus

Had a go at a few more slabs of concrete yesterday. I've built up the colours in some kind of logical order.

First up a base colour of concrete as it would have been new. Then I added a dirty wash to simulate dirt that has built up in the recesses over the years then finally a wash of white to simulate limestone dust / residue.

A pictures of the finished article below

post-18515-0-41085200-1477304703_thumb.jpeg

Once I have done enough of these I will stick them to the roads and hardstanding around the quarry and add dirt, and the odd weed here and there, in the small gaps I shall leave in between as per the prototype.

Once all in place I will give the whole lot another weathering, most likely with powders.

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 2

Hi Peter

Funnily enough, so do I. She seems to ride better and definitely has more grunt. I'm looking forward to taking her up to Coton Hill at Shrewsbury as its a good old climb from Wellington up to Madeley Junction.

Hope you had enjoyable stay over here.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yep he said the same more grunt and power up quicker. 

Concrete slabs look spot on.

Cheers Peter.

Well a very pleasant day today in the Peaks.

Had a nice stroll up round the Derwent Dams followed by a nice pub lunch in Castleton.

Being in the area I decided to go and take a look up at Earle's sidings having being kindly given the directions to get their by Paul.

Parked the car up by the bridge and as soon as we got out I heard the unmistakable whistle of an 8 cylinder EE engine. A quick scramble up the embankment found 20168 ready to take a rake of empties down to the works.

A few pictures here....

post-18515-0-34610400-1477419775_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-00724900-1477428051_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-81791800-1477428062_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-81804800-1477428081_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-95497300-1477428097_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-64271500-1477428119_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-82678000-1477428136_thumb.jpeg

And a solitary 66 sat in the yard

post-18515-0-05286100-1477428444_thumb.jpeg

And finally on the way back to Bakewell, a quick stop off at Grindleford...

post-18515-0-46730600-1477428584_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-59220100-1477428707_thumb.jpeg

All in all a superb day.

• Like 9