Marcus 37

Hellfire mate!

I really liked the run through, hope you had a decent shunter on the other end of the radio for all those start stops!

The rake of PCA's look really cool! as does the new quarry building!

More photos please !

Trev :)

• Like 1

Cracking set of pics mate, such clarity, simply stunning, I also love the write up for each pic, it really adds another dimension to the pics and the Layout. I never realised there were so many movements for a single Loco up there.

Thanks and YES, more pics and stories please.

• Like 1

Cheers Andy. Glad you liked them. There is quite a few light engine moves during the day between the depot, Tunstead and Doveholes. Years ago there was always a trip engine based there during the day which was used for either banking, shunting or draw back moves. it was quite often a 37/0. I remember being up there in the early nineties watching 37108 pottering around all day. I'll have to scan the photo's and post them up on here.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Nice run through Marcus. I was up at Peak the other week on a Monday and it is quite apparant how they have had to adapt the operation of bringing loaded trains out of Dove Holes and into the long siding now that the loop behind next to the sloping hillside is no longer available. The track has been truncated just beyond the point and it seems to be partly ballasted over then the track lifted. I haven't seen the Great Rocks end of the loop for quite a while so not sure what they have done with the other point. What I do know is that once loaded trains are drawn down from Dove Holes quarry and the wagons are parked in the long siding, the loco now has to be released via the point connecting back to the Down Main (towards Buxton) and then reverses and travels light engine back along the DM towards Peak Forest South box effectively wrong line. It seems to be standard practise now still signalled under PFS box then the loco runs back onto the front either by going back onto the quarry line then reverse behind the dolly or across onto the Up Main to reverse behind the dolly outside PFS box then back onto long siding.

Empties still do the time honoured reversal back along the UM and back into the quarry line and then sidings as set by the ground shunter. It is fun watching and hearing a 66 struggle pushing its rake of hoppers back when a 60 does it with such ease!

Cheers Paul

Great set of photos mate, really enjoyed the commentary.

I'm very envious of your rake of PCAs, there's some money's worth there!!

66752 is far too clean though... :D

Al.

I was going to mention the FAR TO CLEAN 66 as well, hahah. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Nice run through Marcus. I was up at Peak the other week on a Monday and it is quite apparant how they have had to adapt the operation of bringing loaded trains out of Dove Holes and into the long siding now that the loop behind next to the sloping hillside is no longer available. The track has been truncated just beyond the point and it seems to be partly ballasted over then the track lifted. I haven't seen the Great Rocks end of the loop for quite a while so not sure what they have done with the other point. What I do know is that once loaded trains are drawn down from Dove Holes quarry and the wagons are parked in the long siding, the loco now has to be released via the point connecting back to the Down Main (towards Buxton) and then reverses and travels light engine back along the DM towards Peak Forest South box effectively wrong line. It seems to be standard practise now still signalled under PFS box then the loco runs back onto the front either by going back onto the quarry line then reverse behind the dolly or across onto the Up Main to reverse behind the dolly outside PFS box then back onto long siding.

Empties still do the time honoured reversal back along the UM and back into the quarry line and then sidings as set by the ground shunter. It is fun watching and hearing a 66 struggle pushing its rake of hoppers back when a 60 does it with such ease!

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

I'm up in the Peak half term week so will be interesting to see what they've done up there as I intend on having a day in PF.

Quite agree about the 60 over the 66. Phenomenal loco. It's a pity GB don't go up there anymore as there would have been a good chance of seeing the 59 up there. We're using it out of Bardon Hill at the moment.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Following on from you mentioning 59003 Marcus, here it is having arrived at Bardon-on-Sea from Eastleigh.

If you look closely, you can see Beefy doing his usual thing of not much, and talking!

post-7156-0-21005300-1474890540.jpg

Edited by big T
  • Like 3

Great pictures Marcus.

As much as I love my planks you can't beat full length prototypical trains.

If you go up to PF is there some special handshake that gets you in for a cup of PG tips ??! Or are they less frindly to fellow drivers ?

• Like 1

Hi Rob

The drivers are a friendly bunch at Peak Forest from the ones I've met on my travels. Mind you most Derbyshire folk are very friendly. I know our guys who went up there route learning when we had the Tunstead work were made to feel welcome enough.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Following on from you mentioning 59003 Marcus, here it is having arrived at Bardon-on-Sea from Eastleigh.

If you look closely, you can see Beefy doing his usual thing of not much, and talking!

attachicon.gif59003.jpg

I'll tell Beefy tomorrow night at Club, ahhaha

He's a top bloke Beefy. Made me several cups of tea in the past. Either at Moira when I've been on the 20's or whilst waiting for a taxi at Bardon.

He's getting well into his N Gauge as he showed me the pictures of his layout the last time I was up Bardon box.

• Like 1

He's a top bloke Beefy. Made me several cups of tea in the past. Either at Moira when I've been on the 20's or whilst waiting for a taxi at Bardon.

He's getting well into his N Gauge as he showed me the pictures of his layout the last time I was up Bardon box.

He's also buying up LOADS of OO now as well, proper bloke.

I've just sent him a Text, hahahha

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

He's also buying up LOADS of OO now as well, proper bloke.

I've just sent him a Text, hahahha

Perhaps you can sell him Pencarne. I'll work on him next time at Bardon. HaHaHa.

He could set it up in the box at Moira. He only has one train a day to signal when he's in there. :D

Edited by Marcus 37

Perhaps you can sell him Pencarne. I'll work on him next time at Bardon. HaHaHa.

He could set it up in the box at Moira. He only has one train a day to signal when he's in there. :D

Makes me laugh when theres no trains but a possession on the branch (usually stuff going on at Gresley tunnel) and he has to work!

Yep it is worth a day up in the Peak even better if in a car as you can nip over to Earles Sdgs if quiet time at PF. A shame no more GB through PF now.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

Yep got the car. Do you know a good spot to view Earle's sidings from? Tried to find them last time and ended up a single track road and nearly took out by a Travis Perkins lorry. Found an over bridge but the sidings were still some distance away.

You never know me may get back to Tunstead one day. We're doing all the stuff out of Arcrow and Rylstone at the moment. Tarmac seems to like keep all the FOCs in work which is quite commendable really in this day and age.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

There's also one near the Signal Box like that, just by the Rail Over Bridge, unless that's the same one, although the one I'm thinking of had the steps / Car Parking for Staff to the left of the road and at the Sheffield end of the Sidings.