Marcus 37

Thanks Mate. I'm really starting to enjoy this scratch building malarkey. In fact I would go as far to say I probably wouldn't buy another ready made building or kit again. Apart from you will get what you want from building your own there also the enjoyment and huge satisfaction when its finished. 

I have been cracking on with the station building today so will pop a couple of pics up later.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

That's a brilliant job of the bridge Marcus, really great, can't wait to see it back on the layout.

Al.

Thanks Al

Well it is only that good due to the expert advice I had from a certain somebody. :friends:

Cheers again mate, really appreciated.

In fact if he hadn't been for RMweb members PDW wouldn't be half as good as it is now as I've picked up so many tips and advice its been great.

Cheers for now

Marcus

• Like 1

Great work marcus I'm going to have to have a go at building some buildings built for knottingley

David

Go for it mate. As I said in my post to Cav you will get a real amount of satisfaction  from building your own. Your first efforts may not be brilliant but you soon learn from your mistakes. 

Also never be afraid to ask for advice either. The rock faces on PDW wouldn't have been so good without advice from Cav with what material and technique to use. Same goes for Al with help with the bridge and Andy P with the puddles. George also came up trumps with help with the fuel point.

Thanks for the compliments by the way and I will look forward to seeing some more updates on Knottigley soon.

All the best

Marcus

Ok, I'm officially suffering from slate blindness now so it's time to call it a day. Since posting the last pic I've finished slating this side of the roof.

I did it with the old method of cutting individual strips and then making slots in them with a scalpel every 4mm. To give it a bit more of random look every so often I've taken a nick out of the corner of the odd slate.

I've also started the chimney as I needed this as a guide to where I needed to slate up to. This was made up from plasticard and covered with stone cladding.

It isn't fixed to the building yet as a) it needs more detail and b) Sod's law I will knock it off.

I did start to give the slates coat of paint but I'm not convinced about the colour, Humbrol Slate Grey, so I'll go and find something more suitable tomorrow.

Here's a couple of final pictures.

post-18515-0-01443500-1447014061_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-10233400-1447014084_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now

Marcus

• Like 9

Looking really good Marcus and you sound as though you are really enjoying it  ....  it must take ages, with all the detail.

..............    eerr - all that time?   ............    have they run out of stone, for you to pull about the country??   :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus, great job on the station so far, it's immediately recognisable as Great Longstone... :D

Regarding the colour of the slates, I hope you don't mind me saying that they look a bit dark at the moment. For my station I used Humbrol RAF Blue (No. 96) and Humbrol PRU Blue (No. 230) mixed together as a dilute wash, and a number of coats to build up the colour. You might want to try that if you haven't gone too far yet.

Alternatively, just use dilute washes of the Slate Grey, But I think it looks too dark, which is why I avoided it.

Al.

Thanks Chaps for all the compliments. I'm pretty pleased with how it's going as I must admit I was dreading the station building due to all the different angles in the roof. This was definitely a check twice cut once scenario. actually it was check about five times before I cut. Anyway perseverance paid off and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Also to make things a bit more difficult I wanted the roof removable so I can add lighting and an interior. As far as the roof is concerned I just need to add the side walls and the roof to the front dormer. Once done I can start adding the slates.

Here's a few pictures of today's progress

post-18515-0-26079600-1447105364_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-32330200-1447105396_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-88828600-1447105538_thumb.jpg

Talking of interiors I knocked this up earlier from some scraps of plasticard I had left over.

post-18515-0-88967200-1447105910_thumb.jpg

A nice chair and desk for the depot manager whose office is on the second floor.

Downstairs will be the booking on point and mess room. So plenty more furniture to make.

Don't worry JC I'm back moving stone around the countryside tomorrow so probably no updates to the weekend now.

Cheers for now.

Marcus

• Like 3

Ha! I see you were way ahead of me on the slates, mate...

Love the desk and chair, brilliant bit of modelling.

Al.

Cheers Al.

I've used that method before on the wooden shed on KoLW. Chris Leigh showed how to do it in Model Rail years ago. I think he used old Christmas cards!

After seeing your superb interior in Bakewell I couldn't not do something. Especially if it's lit with those big windows.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

not looking forward to it, 30mph recording train with an unbraked bogie on the test coach so it has enhanced brakes on the other bogie to compensate, so easy to put flats on, you cant brake much beyond initial really!

oh and dbso's dont have straigh air brakes either

Cheers Andy.

Here's a couple of pictures of progress on the station building.

Again I've been working on the roof and constructing the chimneys.

Making the slates takes a while but it's worth it in the end. It's had a couple of coats of slate grey but needs a final coat just to touch in where there's the odd bit of white card showing. It will then get some washes of various colours to weather it up.

post-18515-0-29626100-1447611392_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-82891300-1447611445_thumb.jpg

The chimneys are just sat on there loose at the moment as these need some more work done on them in the shape of some plastistruct strips to create the ledges round the bottom.

Might try and get hold of some of this tomorrow so I can then get them fastened on.

Cheers for now.

Marcus

• Like 7